Teratomas cancer

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri May 05, 2017 5:33 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:so, basically it boils down to what you said earlier (TWO LOGICAL INTERPRETATIONS of an answer choice lead to ambiguity) -
Correct.
p.s: however, the second interpretation, which is deemed correct over the other, seems to be by some brute force as GMAT has deemed it correct!
The only answer choice that is error free and conveys a clear meaning is E.
Thus, the meaning conveyed by E must be the intended meaning.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ngk4mba3236 » Tue May 09, 2017 11:18 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
p.s: however, the second interpretation, which is deemed correct over the other, seems to be by some brute force as GMAT has deemed it correct!
The only answer choice that conveys a clear meaning is E.
this is where my concern is because as we've discussed above that meaning in A is logical but E is the OA. it appears to me that meaning in E is considered correct because GMAT has deemed it correct!

however your other reason to eliminate A (re more than one interpretations) should be suffice to eliminate A.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue May 09, 2017 11:55 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:this is where my concern is because as we've discussed above that meaning in A is logical but E is the OA. it appears to me that meaning in E is considered correct because GMAT has deemed it correct!

however your other reason to eliminate A (re more than one interpretations) should be suffice to eliminate A.
In A, the meaning conveyed by not normally found cannot be deemed logical because the meaning conveyed by this modifier is UNCLEAR.
As discussed above, a reader cannot be certain whether this modifier is intended to modify tissues or tooth and bone.
It is contradictory to deem the conveyed meaning both unclear and logical.

Moreover -- as suggested in my original post -- the usage of because in A conveys a nonsensical meaning.
Option A implies the following:
The composition of teratomas CAUSES them to be unusual.
This meaning makes no sense.
The composition does not FORCE teratomas to be unusual.
Rather, the composition is an ASPECT of teratomas that IS unusual.

For both these reasons, eliminate A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3