SVA One of the + Plural noun

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

SVA One of the + Plural noun

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:44 am
Transplanting is one of the methods that is commonly used for the seeding of rice in irrigated fields, and is performed either manually or by mechanical transplanting machinery in a variety of spatial configurations.

A - is commonly used for the seeding of rice in irrigated fields, and is performed either manually or by mechanical transplanting machinery in
B - is commonly used for rice seeding in irrigated fields, and is performed either manually or by mechanical transplanting machinery in
C - are commonly used for the seeding of rice in irrigated fields, and is performed either manually or by mechanical transplanting machinery for
D - are commonly used for the seeding of rice in irrigated fields, and is performed either manually or by mechanical transplanting machinery in
E - are commonly used for the seeding of rice in fields that are irrigated, and it is performed either manually or by mechanical transplanting machinery in

A - This answer choice is grammatically incorrect. The relative clause that is commonly used for the seeding of rice in irrigated fields describes the noun that appears immediately before it, namely, methods. Since methods follows one of the and is plural, the verb that follows it also needs to be plural. However, is is singular.

B - Incorrect.

This answer choice is grammatically incorrect and repeats the original Relative Clause error.

C - Incorrect.

Although this answer choice corrects the original Relative Clause error by using the plural verb are, it creates a grammatical error by using the incorrect preposition (for) before the phrase a variety of. The correct idiomatic expression in this case would be in a variety of.

D - Correct.

The relative clause that is commonly used for the seeding of rice in irrigated fields describes the noun that appears immediately before it, namely, methods. This answer choice, therefore, correctly uses the plural verb are.

E - Incorrect.

Although this answer choice corrects the original Relative Clause error by using the plural verb are, it creates Redundancy with the wordy phrase fields that are irrigated. Look for a more concise answer choice.
Last edited by Kasia@EconomistGMAT on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by vk_vinayak » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:02 am
@Kasia,

Good question: I have doubt regarding D V/s E. One of the main differences between D and E -- that you didn't discuss -- is repetition of the subject in the second clause of E. I believe, since you are using COMMA + AND, it results in a separate clause and hence subject must be present in the second clause. Can you please elaborate on that aspect?

P.S: You've over under-lined ( oxymoron? :-) )the question.
- VK

I will (Learn. Recognize. Apply)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:05 pm
The subject does not change - "transplanting" is the subject in both clauses. Therefore, it does not need to be repeated and can be elided.

Underlining corrected - thanks for pointing that out!
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by vk_vinayak » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:19 pm
Kasia@MasterGMAT wrote:The subject does not change - "transplanting" is the subject in both clauses. Therefore, it does not need to be repeated and can be elided.
So, you're saying that repetition of the subject is not an issue between D and E, and that E is incorrect only because of the redundancy? Please confirm.
- VK

I will (Learn. Recognize. Apply)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by confuse mind » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:16 pm
I was also stuck at D vs E

in D, I feel there is modifier ambiguity and it is not clear whether ' is performed either manually or by ...' is modifying fields or transplanting.

in E, the ambiguity has been removed by the repetition of the subject.

If my understanding is wrong, can you please explain the ambiguity issue is getting resolved in D.
I think <noun>, <modifier1 for noun>, and <modifier2 for same noun> is a valid and parallel construction.

I think usage of is/are in the second modifier is NOT sufficient to resolve the ambiguity.

Thanks!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by soaring.alone » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:03 am
I have doubt regarding D V/s E. One of the main differences between D and E -- that you didn't discuss -- is repetition of the subject in the second clause of E. I believe, since you are using COMMA + AND, it results in a separate clause and hence subject must be present in the second clause. Can you please elaborate on that aspect?

If I rephrase E as mentioned below, would that make it a correct answer ?

E - are commonly used for the seeding of rice in irrigated fields , and it is performed either manually or by mechanical transplanting machinery in

-soaringAlone

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:12 am
i received a private message about this thread.
soaring.alone wrote:I have doubt regarding D V/s E. One of the main differences between D and E -- that you didn't discuss -- is repetition of the subject in the second clause of E. I believe, since you are using COMMA + AND, it results in a separate clause and hence subject must be present in the second clause. Can you please elaborate on that aspect?
that's not really an issue. see here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/need-expert- ... tml#485058

in this particular problem -- which, don't forget, is from a non-official source -- choice (e) wouldn't be an incorrect answer by GMAC standards. (there are no official answer choices whose only problem is "wordiness" or "lack of concision".) so, don't sweat it.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron