Spicy

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by supratikchanda » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:31 am
option d .in option a,c,e they is ambiguous.and in option b like is used incorrectly

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by lb2012 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:47 am
D is correct

by snoopy05 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:38 am
Option D contains extra information.It is wrong.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Dblooos » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:23 pm
mmslf75 wrote:
The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, makes some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerve endings in the mouth as does a rise in temperature; this stimulation sometimes results in the activation of certain biological cooling mechanisms, one of which is perspiration.

a. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, makes some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerve endings in the mouth as does a rise in temperature

b. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, makes some people sweat is that these foods contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth like a rise in temperature

c. Certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, make some people sweat because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth like a rise in temperature does

d. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, make some people sweat is that these foods contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth and on the tongue as does a rise in temperature

e. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, make some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth as does a rise in temperature

OA is D

Look for errors that are easy to spot and cannot be debated.

In A and B, the singular verb makes does not agree with its plural subject foods. Eliminate A and B.

Answer choice C incorrectly uses like to compare two actions: the way a chemical stimulates with the way a rise in temperature does. Like is used to compare nouns; as is used to compare actions. Eliminate C.

Answer choice E contains an error of redundancy: the reason....is because. Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
Contact me about long distance tutoring!

Mitch,

Though I agree that D seems to be the best choice. But D introduces information that is not part of the original problem, is it acceptable?

d. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, make some people sweat is that these foods contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth and on the tongue as does a rise in temperature

I eliminated D because it added additional information that was not part of the original statement. Please advise.

Thank you,

by rahulisonline » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:57 pm
Ok, so I understand why my original answer, which was E, is wrong but why is D not wrong. It does add new information about which nerves they were talking about. If this is a lesser evil kind of thing, then is adding information a smaller sin than a grammatical error? Or is adding information not considered wrong at all?
_______
Rahul R

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:56 am
Dblooos wrote: I eliminated D because it added additional information that was not part of the original statement. Please advise.
An answer choice can be eliminated if it conveys a meaning that is nonsensical or is contrary to that intended by the original sentence.
A: Certain spicy foods contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerve endings in the mouth as does a rise in temperature.
D: Certain spicy foods contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth and on the tongue as does a rise in temperature.
The meaning conveyed by D is sensical.
The portions in red do not convey contrary meanings.
Do not eliminate D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by Nitish_Jindal » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:22 am
mmslf75 wrote:The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, makes some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerve endings in the mouth as does a rise in temperature; this stimulation sometimes results in the activation of certain biological cooling mechanisms, one of which is perspiration.

a. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, makes some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerve endings in the mouth as does a rise in temperature

b. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, makes some people sweat is that these foods contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth like a rise in temperature

c. Certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, make some people sweat because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth like a rise in temperature does

e. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, make some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth as does a rise in temperature

OA is D

Its mentioned in MGMAT forum that Pronoun ambiguity is tolerable to some extent on GMAT

Why A is rejected here ?

Are we looking at multiple errors for rejecting A...
MGMAT explanation says
the pronoun "they" has an ambiguous referent: it could refer either to "foods" or "people." and 2 other errors

Query is : If were to have only this pronoun error then would A be the right choice??

Source MGMAT CAT 3
[/b]

by Shivam92 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:19 am
mmslf75 wrote:The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, makes some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerve endings in the mouth as does a rise in temperature; this stimulation sometimes results in the activation of certain biological cooling mechanisms, one of which is perspiration.

e. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, make some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth as does a rise in tempe

D

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by thang » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:54 am
reason for which+main clause
main clause is caused by this reason

reason that+clause

that clause show what the reason is

two quite different meaning. this question is wrong terribly

look at the word reason in the oxford dictionary onlin
looking for the girl living in Bradford UK, visiting Halong bay, Vietnam on 26- 27 Jan 2014. all persons, pls, forward this message to all persons you know to help me find her: my email: [email protected], call: 84904812758

by MinaLe » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:24 am
The answer is D. Verb-noun agreement error: spicy foods vs. make, and the ambiguous modifier "they contain a chemical that stimulates " which can be misunderstood for people :)Just watch a Ron's Thursday video yesterday and it helped

by MinaLe » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:50 am
thang wrote:reason for which+main clause
main clause is caused by this reason

reason that+clause

that clause show what the reason is

two quite different meaning. this question is wrong terribly

look at the word reason in the oxford dictionary onlin
Good catch According to https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/de ... ish/reason, " because" should be deleted right?

Usage

1 The construction the reason why ... has been objected to on the grounds that the subordinate clause should express a statement, using a that-clause, not imply a question with a why-clause: 'the reason (that) I decided not to phone', rather than 'the reason why I decided not to phone'. 'The reason why' has been called a redundancy to be avoided, but it is a mild one, and idiomatic. 2 An objection is also made to the construction the reason ... is because, as in 'the reason I didn't phone is because my mother has been ill'. The objection is made on the grounds that either "because" or "the reason" is redundant; it is better to use the word that instead ( 'the reason I didn't phone is that ...') or rephrase altogether ( 'I didn't phone because ...').Nevertheless, both the above usages are well established and, although they may be inelegant, they are generally accepted in standard English.
Hope somebody can explain. Thanks :)

by Rahul428 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:13 am
My answer - B

Thank you

by deepak4mba » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:13 am

by kalini » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:56 am
My Answer was also D, but I did it rather instinctively than used any logic or explanations.... and I would like train myself to understand the logic behind. :))))

by LSchaaf » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:19 am
The beginning of the sentence is not needed.
The sentence starts with "The reason that"; it seems to me these words are being used as a 'filler'.
They make the sentence longer (more complicated).
"The reason that" are extra unnecessary words to the sentence, but does NOT change the meaning.