Scored 740 (If you have a dream, protect it)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bourne007 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:32 pm
@lacsman: thanks. I can understand your situation. There is no denying that there will be exhaustion. It's tough work to redo everything that you've done once. But if your dream is to do well GMAT and get into a good school, there's no better thing to do than to give another shot! That's what I felt when I was in your situation. I just couldn't tolerate the thought of my dream withering away. Hard work pays off, my story is yet another proof of that. I hope your story will join the list too. All the best!

@ruchisingh: thank you

by bourne007 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:43 am

by testsgmat » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:15 am
Many Many ... Thanks for posting this debrief and Congrats for achivement

One of the best debrief I came across

Vaisha

by bourne007 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:32 pm
@Vaisha : I didn't expect someone would read my post months after I posted it :) Thanks for your comments and wish you all the best !

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by CaptainM » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:33 am
Hi bourne007
Awesome debrief!!!!

You know what I had saved your debrief link as my bookmark hoping that one day when I will also achieve my dream score I will thank you but it could not happen.I retook GMAT today(2nd attempt :660(48Q 34V)) after a gap of 3 months(1st Attempt: 640(47Q 29V)) and now can relate my story to yours. I have booked my date on 19th of Nov(3rd attempt) as I want to apply for ISB 2nd round(deadline 30th nov).

I have solved at least 1000 of SC questions about 600 CR questions and many RC passages--> all PREP material(Manhattan and BTG forums). I have taken GPREP several times and am done with Manhattan tests as well.Last week my scores were:
GPREP: 760 (Q50 V42)
MGMAT4:700(Q44 V40)
MGMAT5:650(Q43 V36)
MGMAT6:720(Q48 V40)

GMAT 2nd Attempt:660(48Q 34V)
I don't know why but I got dull and slow today.I thought I screwed up my Quant and thus was really demotivated when I started Verbal.I pumped up myself but really got slow and took lot of time in CR questions and screwed up in last 10 questions due to time mismanagement.

Please help me now what should I do I am dying for a good score and am left with just 1 month.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mbaslk » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:13 am
Hi,great debrief.This post is very inspiring and motivating me to fight back and take the gmat again.I am sure that your post will inspire many Gmat retakers.Thanks so much for helping me and others like me.

by bourne007 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:21 am
@CaptainM: I can understand what you are going through. From your practice scores, I'd say you have prepared well and as you have rightly pointed out it was perhaps that dullness and slowness that affected your performance.

In my final try I just ensured that I finished all the questions, tried not to slow down. Some of the CR and RC passages were really long. So speed is really going to be key. Towards the end I felt even SC questions were quite lengthy. But honesty, if you are trying to interpret how you are performing during the test you are losing focus. The point is whatever you think need not be true(as was the case with you, you didn't do bad at all on Quant). Besides thinking about it is not going to help. So make up your mind first and tell yourself you are not going to interpret. I know it is easier said than done. But yes, you surely can make up your mind.

One way I tackled pressure was to ask myself what was the worst that was going to happen?!! As I've mentioned in my post I had made up my mind that I'd give GMAT as many times as it takes to get the scores! Seriously!! So that mindset helped me reduce that anxiety and the pressure. Even during the test I kept telling myself the same.

That said, another important aspect to consider is, how you felt while handling the English section? Were you actually comfortable during the first 30 questions or so? Was time the only issue? Or did you have difficulty recalling stuff? Was there any particular section you felt particularly felt uncomfortable? Perhaps you can ask yourself more questions. But the idea is to know for yourself what exactly was the issue? If it was time alone, I guess you should get to your score in the next time! All you need to tell yourself is to not worry about the results, but just give your best!! However, I would really suggest you to keep brushing up all the sections, perhaps give a couple of tests and I guess you should be ready.

I understand you are keen to get your applications finished on time. But having such a huge pressure at the back of mind can really affect your performance. If you ask me, I'd say first get rid of that thought from your mind!!

I guess you are already aware that you'll need to write a few essays for your application to any B-school. And that takes quite some time. If you are planning to work on those after your GMAT, in my honest opinion, I'd feel it's extremely hard to come up with a good essay/application in about just 10 days. Remember, GMAT score is only one part of the whole process. I would strongly suggest you not to hurry but to take your time and come up with a solid essay.

Those are my thoughts. I hope this is somewhat helpful. I might have been a bit blunt here, but my intention is only to help. Obviously you are the final judge. Take a step back, may be ask opinions from others and then decide. Please don't rush. I wish you all the best. I will look forward to reading your success story soon!!

by bourne007 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:26 am
@mbaslk: thanks for your comments. It means a lot! It feels great to know that this post is motivating you! I took heart from many others' debriefs when I was down. I hope you'll achieve your dream! Wish you all the best.