Ron's gone over this however I have a few ?s

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:650
hey guys ron has already gone over this question here: https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/hen ... t2911.html

I just wanted to ask experts what category is this question technically? Is this a word problem? Also, what level of difficulty is it? I know how to set it up; however, it seems questions that I am missing are ones in which you can't back solve for and you must abstractly figure it out. Thoughts on these types of questions?

This year Henry will save a certain amount of his income, and he will spend the rest. Next year Henry will have no income, but for each dollar that he saves this year, he will have 1 + r dollars available to spend. In terms of r, what fraction of his income should Henry save this year so that next year the amount he has available to spend will be equal to half the amount that he spends this year?

a) 1/(r+2)
b) 1/(2r+s)
c) 1/(3r+2)
d) 1/(r+3)
e) 1/(2r+3)

This question is from GMAT Focus Test #2

Answer: E -

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:12 am
This question is known as a "Variables in the Answer Choices" question.
I think they're one of the most difficult question types on the GMAT. This particular question is easily 700+.
The good thing about these questions is that there are typically 2 approaches you can take:
1) Algebraic
2) Plug in numbers

Here are some questions where both approaches are demonstrated:
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/rtw-nails-t116215.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/cost-of-p-pe ... 92958.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/plugging-in- ... 08985.html

Cheers,
Brent
Last edited by Brent@GMATPrepNow on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:650

by bpolley00 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:21 am
Brent,

First of all, thank you so much for your timely response. Secondly, do you have more practice questions of this type?

I just realized something, that perhaps this test is so hard to study for simply because they never have the problems categorically available in a quantity that makes it easy to learn; thus, if I could get more quesitons such as the ones that you have provided I will be able to learn this question type more efficiently.

Thanks

-BP

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by HerrGrau » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:00 pm
Hi,

That is a great question and a tough one. Try out these two from the problem solving of the Official Guide 13th Edition: #177, #198

It's great to able to do these questions both by picking numbers and algebra. These questions really test out your ability to translate the words to numbers/variable, manipulate equations, and keep track of what you are solving for.

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any questions on those.

HG.
"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Blog and GMAT Tutoring: www.AtlanticGMAT.com

Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by vomhorizon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:14 am
Either the same, or a similar question is from OG13 , and i agree this is one of the most brutal questions in the OG..
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:52 am
Just a word to the wise. Plugging in numbers is often the best way to solve, but do spend time studying the algebra to enhance your understanding of the concept.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review