Recently implemented “shift-work equations�

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, fatigue among shift workers, and have raised production efficiency in various industries.

(A) fatigue among shift workers, and have raised
(B) fatigue among shift workers, and raised
(C) and fatigue among shift workers while raising
(D) lowered fatigue among shift workers, and raised
(E) and fatigue among shift workers was lowered while raising

[spoiler]OA: Will be posted later. A vs C which one is better and why????[/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Thu May 05, 2011 5:37 am
IMO C .

A doesn't keep the list consistent . C makes it better by making list of alike activities .
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:39 am
Hi AIMGMAT,

Could you please elaborate your explanation :-(

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:27 am
(A) fatigue among shift workers, and have raised `have raised implies beginning of a new parallel clause . This should be accompanied by an and implying the list of items in the first clause . But no such thing happens
(C) and fatigue among shift workers while raising Presence of an and implying the end of list of items in the first clause
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Thu May 05, 2011 7:35 am
aspirant2011 wrote:Hi AIMGMAT,

Could you please elaborate your explanation :-(
Activities reduced :- sickness,sleeping and fatigue => so keep them in list together
and separate the activity that is increased that is production efficiency so remove it from list and club with the sentence using "while" that also shows contrast .
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Thu May 05, 2011 8:20 am
Gramatically both A and C appear to be fine.

Blue for parallelism and Green for verb placement.

In my opinion, the correct answers differs between the two gramatically correct answers in terms of its meaning.

Let us consider A first,

The intention of the sentence is to say that recently implemented equations have reduced A, B, C and D.

whereas,

Option C, conveys that A,B,C were done and when A,B,C were implemented D was observed (as a result).

Thus, I believe, C appropriately conveys the intended meaning of the sentence.

Please correct me incase I am wrong.

aspirant2011 wrote:Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, fatigue among shift workers, and have raised production efficiency in various industries.

[spoiler]OA: Will be posted later. A vs C which one is better and why????[/spoiler]
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Thu May 05, 2011 8:23 am
Hey Guys,

lets do a SC drill here...well as we know the correct answer is Op C, so here is Op C

Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, and fatigue among shift workers while raising production efficiency in various industries.

Question:

The part in green is which type of modifier (adjective, adverbial etc)..??? and to what it is modifying ???

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Thu May 05, 2011 8:30 am
@aspirant2011 and @bublii

Op A has parallelism error

Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, [have reduced] sleeping on the job, [have reduced]fatigue among shift workers, and [have reduced] have raised production efficiency in various industries.

The part in red color denotes the error

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Thu May 05, 2011 8:37 am
Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, [have reduced] sleeping on the job, [have reduced]fatigue among shift workers, and [have reduced] have raised production efficiency in various industries.

I understood that if a COMMA is placed before AND then we need a connecting verb after AND.

Thus, I felt that A is gramatically correct.

As per my understanding, option A would has had an parallelism error if written this way,

Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, fatigue among shift workers and have raised production efficiency in various industries.

Please share your thoughts on this.
Hey Guys,

lets do a SC drill here...well as we know the correct answer is Op C, so here is Op C

Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, and fatigue among shift workers while raising production efficiency in various industries.

Question:

The part in green is which type of modifier (adjective, adverbial etc)..??? and to what it is modifying ???
The green part is an adjectival modifier (since adverbial has to be attached to a verb) and modifies the 'shift work equations'

I am very poor at this. :(
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:46 am
Hi Atul,

I have a doubt on this i.e in the sentence "and have raised production efficiency in various industries" this part comes after a comma and is therefore, an IC but does "have reduced" be valid for "have raised" ...........i.e i agree that have reduced sickness, have reduced sleeping, have reduced fatigue I agree but since the part after , is an IC do u think that have reduced will come before "have raised" and modify it???????

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Thu May 05, 2011 9:22 am
I understood that if a COMMA is placed before AND then we need a connecting verb after AND.

Thus, I felt that A is gramatically correct.
We don't need any verb after AND as the verb coming before AND is already connecting that noun, if u repeat the verb then the error will be the same as i mentioned in red part a repetition of verb.

Ex:

A was B, C and D. -------> correct

A was B, C and was D. ----> incorrect

A was B, C and D and WAS E. ---> correct u can understand this sentence in this way, A is connected to B,C, D in some way and A is connected to E in a separate way...here B,C and D are acting as a list while E is a separate item.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Thu May 05, 2011 9:24 am
Hey guys,

Good discussion! The way I'd immediately eliminate A is kind of a byproduct of what Atul said. If you look at the answer choices, two begin with "and" and three do not. "And" is a pretty common connector, and you should be pretty good at determining when you need it. Here, it's necessary because we have a list of three items that these equations have reduced.

Equations have reduced:

1) Sickness
2) Sleeping on the job
AND 3) fatigue among shift workers

in addition, equations have raised production efficiency

Without "and" in that list of three "reduced" items, that list doesn't hold. "And" is absolutely necessary there to complete the list, and the follow-up "and" in C now joins the two things that these equations have done:

Equations:

1) Have reduced some things
AND 2) Have raised some other things

This sentence provides two lists. One list is of the things that equations have done (reduced X and raised Y) and the other is a sub-list that lists the things that the equations have reduced. Each list needs to be organized, so that's why two "ands" are required. Perhaps more strategically, you should notice that difference between the answer choices - two use "and" and three don't, and it makes for a pretty logical decision point.
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Thu May 05, 2011 9:48 am
Hi Brian,

Thank you so much for stepping in
This sentence provides two lists. One list is of the things that equations have done (reduced X and raised Y) and the other is a sub-list that lists the things that the equations have reduced. Each list needs to be organized, so that's why two "ands" are required.
This point is really cool...now i have one doubt...its a very common doubt and i asked from so many experts and others and got a different answer so please clear my understanding.

COMMA + FANBOYS ---> connect two Independent Clauses okay

Now is the above rule should be like COMMA + FANBOYS should always connect only 2 IC's

if this is so, then we can eliminate Op A on this basis too...

here is a part of question discussed in btg and here is the link (nice discussion i hope u enjoy that)

https://www.beatthegmat.com/comma-splice-t82099-15.html

@Tani agreed Op C (see below)is wrong because of the violation of the rule COMMA + FANBOYS

The people of the ancient Assyrian Empire were renowned warriors, and also crafted some of the best-preserved ancient art.

Now if u relate this with Op A in our question both are same somewhere right????

On the other hand one fellow mate @Gmatmadeeasy suggested:

when second independent clause shares the same subject as first one and the subject is not repeated, you don't use comma in second IC. (only true when connector is AND)

On this basis we can't drop Op A on the basis of COMMA + FANBOYS rule

What to do????? Please share your knowledge...

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:51 am
Hi Brian,

If option A would have been like "Recently implemented shift-work equations based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, and fatigue among shift workers, and have raised production efficiency in various industries."

then would Option A have been correct?????????

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Thu May 05, 2011 10:06 am
aspirant2011 wrote:Hi Brian,

If option A would have been like "Recently implemented shift-work equations based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, and fatigue among shift workers, and have raised production efficiency in various industries."

then would Option A have been correct?????????
My View:

I believe it gonna be correct because if u read the last element independently,

Recently implemented shift-work equations based on studies of the human sleep cycle have raised production efficiency in various industries.

This makes sense...I'm sure GMAT will not do this because in that case for Op A and Op C it just a matter of choice of writer. I mean i would like to write as in Op C and someone else would state the same thing as Op A. Why i prefer Op C is because it is giving an indication of simultaneous actions...