Profits & Percents

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Profits & Percents

by dell2 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:17 pm
Firm A operates under the following conditions: for every m% increase in firm A's revenues, its profits increase by n%. Similarly, for every n% increase in firm B's revenues, its profits increase by m%. In 2007, firm A increased its revenues by n% and firm B increased its revenues by m%. Which firm saw a larger percent increase in profit in 2007?

(1) m > n > 0

(2) In 2007, firm A's revenues increased by 3% and firm B's increased by 10%.

OA : D

Source : G r o c K i t

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:140 members

by Mike@Magoosh » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:15 pm
Hi, there. I'm happy to help with this. :)

The Prompt
Firm A operates under the following conditions: for every m% increase in firm A's revenues, its profits increase by n%. Similarly, for every n% increase in firm B's revenues, its profits increase by m%. In 2007, firm A increased its revenues by n% and firm B increased its revenues by m%. Which firm saw a larger percent increase in profit in 2007?

Notice that both conditions are stated as proportions --- that language of "for every" increase of this kind, we get an increase of that kind --- that's the language of proportions. Let's pretend, for a moment, that m = 5 and n = 3. This does not mean that Firm A's revenues definitely increase by 5%. It means if A's revenues increase 5%, profits increase 3%; if revenues increase 10%, profits increase 6%; if revenues increase 15%, profits increase 9%. The only information given in the statement is information about proportions. That's important to remember.

Statement #1: m > n > 0
Substitute m = BIG and n = SMALL. When A has a BIG% increase in revenue, it has a SMALL% increase in profit. Conversely, when B has a SMALL% increase in revenue, it has a BIG% increase in profits. That's interesting, but not sufficient to answer the question --- again, the information in the prompt is only about proportions, and while m > n > 0 establishes something about the relative ratios, it's still possible that A or B had a 0% change in revenue (and hence, a 0% change in profit). Statement #1, by itself, is insufficient.

Statement #2: In 2007, firm A's revenues increased by 3% and firm B's increased by 10%.
These are the actual value of the percent increase in revenue --- knowing this, we still know nothing about m & n, which establish the relative proportions. Because we know nothing about the relative proportions, we can't conclude anything. Statement #2, by itself, is insufficient.

Combined Statements #1 & #2
Now, we know: A's revenue increased by 3%. Call A's percent increase in profits pA. We can set up the proportion m/n = 3/pA ===> pA = (3n/m) ===> A's profits increase by (3n/m)%, which is less than 3%, because m > n > 0.
We also know B's revenue increased by 10%. Call B's percent increase in profits pB. We can set up the proportion n/m = 10/pA ===> pA = (10m/n) ===> B's profits increase by (10m/n)%, which is more than 10%, because m > n > 0.
A's profits increased by less than 3%, and B's profits increased by more than 10%, so B's profits increased by a larger percent. Combined, the statements are sufficient.

Answer = C

Does that make sense? Please let me know if you have any questions on what I've said.

Mike :)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
https://gmat.magoosh.com/

by dell2 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:50 am
Thanks for your Time.
very well explanation But OA is D ;)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by anandhimanshu85 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:52 am
IMO D

The question says M% ( Rev) --> N% (Profit)for company A and opposite for company B

It also says in 2007 A increased revenue by N% and B by M % so which can be translated to A had 1/M % profit and B had 1/N % profit.

So the question can be narrowed down to whether M>N?

Both of the statements gives this data so I think OA should be D.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by shekhar.kataria » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:03 am
I got the Same reasoning like Ananshimanshi85's.

@dell2 :- what is the source of this Question. Request you to always put source when you post a question in this forum. This Question has never been discussed before so there curious to know the source.
anandhimanshu85 wrote:IMO D

The question says M% ( Rev) --> N% (Profit)for company A and opposite for company B

It also says in 2007 A increased revenue by N% and B by M % so which can be translated to A had 1/M % profit and B had 1/N % profit.

So the question can be narrowed down to whether M>N?

Both of the statements gives this data so I think OA should be D.
Restlessness and discontent are the first necessities of progress.--Thomas A. Edison

If you find this post helpful, let me know by clicking thanks above :-)

Community Manager
Followed by:52 members

by neelgandham » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:36 am
shekhar.kataria wrote: @dell2 :- what is the source of this Question. Request you to always put source when you post a question in this forum. This Question has never been discussed before so there curious to know the source.
The source of the question is Grockit, already mentioned by dell2 in his post:). Just drag your mouse pointer to the location where the word source is present(in the first post).
Anil Gandham
Welcome to BEATtheGMAT | Photography | Getting Started | BTG Community rules | MBA Watch
Check out GMAT Prep Now's online course at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by shekhar.kataria » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:45 am
Thanks for telling Neelgandham. I think Better way is Use Spoiler rather than using white color to hide it.

Neelgandham , what do you think Ans should be D ?
neelgandham wrote:
shekhar.kataria wrote: @dell2 :- what is the source of this Question. Request you to always put source when you post a question in this forum. This Question has never been discussed before so there curious to know the source.
The source of the question is Grockit, already mentioned by dell2 in his post:). Just drag your mouse pointer to the location where the word source is present(in the first post).
Restlessness and discontent are the first necessities of progress.--Thomas A. Edison

If you find this post helpful, let me know by clicking thanks above :-)

Community Manager

by neelgandham » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:04 am
(1) m > n > 0
A increased its revenues by n%, then its profits increased by m%
B increased its revenues by m%, then its profits increased by n%(<m%). Since profits increase is same as percent increase in profit, percent increase in profit of A(m%) is greater than percent increase in profit of B(n%)
(2) In 2007, firm A's revenues increased by 3% and firm B's increased by 10%.

If A's revenues increased by 3%, then its profits increased by 10%
If B's revenues increased by 10%, then its profits increased by 3%
Since profits increase is same as percent increase in profit, percent increase in profit of A(10%) is greater than percent increase in profit of B(3%)

Yes, IMO D, but I am not 100% happy with my explanation though.

p.s: I agree on the statement regarding spoiler

Dell2: Just wanted to let you know of the SPOILERS feature. Click here -> https://www.beatthegmat.com/new-spoilers-t5302.html
Anil Gandham
Welcome to BEATtheGMAT | Photography | Getting Started | BTG Community rules | MBA Watch

by dell2 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:32 pm
Thanks For the reply everyone :)

Hahahhah i know how to use the spoilers, i just like it this way :D It's Different.

Community Manager

by neelgandham » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:34 pm
Jajajaja, Never mind, it is up to you :D. Good luck with your preparation!
Anil Gandham

by dell2 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:53 pm
Thx
Good luck to you too :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:140 members

by Mike@Magoosh » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:43 am
Dell2, Neelgandham, shekhar.kataria, anandhimanshu85,

My apologies. I realize, going back, that I totally neglected to include the information in the third sentence. If the information in the third sentence is omitted, the answer would be C. BUT, as the question stands, you folks are all correct: the answer should be D.

Sorry for my misreading. Good luck to all of you on the GMAT.

Mike :)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
https://gmat.magoosh.com/