As the honeybee’s stinger

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

As the honeybee’s stinger

by clock60 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:14 pm
hi guys
this sentence is killing me i can legally reject A and C but need your help in other choices

As the honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing the bee to sustain a fatal injury.

A. As the honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing
B. As the heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes
C. The honeybee's stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes
D. The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results in the act of stinging causing
E. The honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:51 pm
@clock

Man...thanks for sharing this question...one of the toughest question i have seen and to my surprise, i come to know that this question is from GMAT prep (horrible thing). I read some explanations in Manhattan forum and learn some new concepts...here they are:

first concept:- the connector "as" connects two independent clauses BY ITSELF. if "as" is used to connect two independent clauses, it should NOT be used in conjunction with any other connector words.

You can kill Op B, with this knowledge

Second concept:-- a general mistake, i look for "result in" as thought that this is always idiomatic but....

here, you can't say "the stinger results in...".

"results in..." can only be used when it's LITERALLY TRUE. for instance, you could say that the attempt resulted in failure, since the attempt ITSELF ended in failure.
if you understand this literal meaning, then it goes without saying that you can't use this sort of construction for physical objects.
TAKEAWAY:
you can only say "X results in Y" when X is an ACTION. if X is an OBJECT, you can NEVER say that X "results" in anything.
this kills choices (c) and (d), in which "stinger" is the subject of the verb "results".

For Op A, as you see, the pronoun THIS doesn't refer to any particular NOUN hence wrong.

So, we left with Op E....

Buddy, i request you to please pm, Mitch (gmatguruny), because his approach is always short, i hope he will show us some other way to solve this question...it was really tough to apply POE technique in this question...

Thanks again for sharing

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:12 pm
hi clock, y aint were you not able to reject "act of stinging causing" this also looks like a easy reject

B is wordy.. with the act of sting..blah blah..

+1 for E
First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.

Legendary Member

by clock60 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:36 am
HSPA wrote:hi clock, y aint were you not able to reject "act of stinging causing" this also looks like a easy reject

B is wordy.. with the act of sting..blah blah..

+1 for E
hi HSPA
unfortunately i did not know what is wrong in "act of stinging causing"
can you share you ideas or provide useful link? or it is again meaning of the sentence that is always out of my mind
by the way the oa is E

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:39 am
@clock

did u pm some expert or you got some cool and short approach...if yes then please share buddy..

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:47 am
i am confused between C and E :-(........

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:49 am
aspirant2011 wrote:i am confused between C and E :-(........
"Result in " is wrong in Op C...see my above post..the concepts are taken from manhattan forum

Legendary Member

by clock60 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:05 am
atulmangal wrote:@clock

did u pm some expert or you got some cool and short approach...if yes then please share buddy..
no yet
but i am going to..
any expert reply, will not be confidential, i promise

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:41 am
clock60 wrote:hi guys
this sentence is killing me i can legally reject A and C but need your help in other choices

As the honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing the bee to sustain a fatal injury.

A. As the honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing
B. As the heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes
C. The honeybee's stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes
D. The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results in the act of stinging causing
E. The honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes
I received a PM asking me to offer a quick approach.

In A, this has no clear antecedent. Eliminate A.

B is not a complete sentence. Where are the subject and the verb? Eliminate B.

C and D each state that the stinger...results in. A stinger cannot result in something; only an action can result in something. Eliminate C and D.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by clock60 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:15 am
hi Mitch
great thanks for quick reply. it is very helpful.
if possible one more question
some guys say that :act of stinging causing is wrong
can you elaborate what is wrong in it, is it grammer issue, or meaning, i have no any clues, other that it sounds clumsy?
thanks

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:30 am
clock60 wrote:hi Mitch
can you elaborate what is wrong in it, is it grammer issue, or meaning, i have no any clues, other that it sounds clumsy?
thanks
I made this comment based on the 'parts of speech'
act of stinging - verb
causing - verb
Kindly judge the below statement.
As the stinger of honeybee stays where it is inserted, the stinger may come out with great difficulty
First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:13 am
clock60 wrote:hi Mitch
thanks
D: results in the act of stinging causing
Conveyed meaning:
Something results in THE ACT.
But the intended meaning is NOT that something results in the act but that something results in the CAUSING of a fatal injury.
Since the intended meaning is not conveyed, the construction in D is not viable.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by clock60 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:12 am
@mitch
thank you for such a clear and perfect explaining
bad on me as i did not know such a simple thing
thanks again

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:03 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
clock60 wrote:hi guys

I received a PM asking me to offer a quick approach.

In A, this has no clear antecedent. Eliminate A.

B is not a complete sentence. Where are the subject and the verb? Eliminate B.

C and D each state that the stinger...results in. A stinger cannot result in something; only an action can result in something. Eliminate C and D.

The correct answer is E.
PLEASE, HELP ME

IN E, THE PHRASE "WITH THE RESULT......." MODIFY WHAT. DOSE IT MODIFY THE TOTAL PRECEDING CLAUSE?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by zoe » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:03 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:act + causing = noun + gerund.

This construction is always wrong. A noun cannot be modified by a gerund.
Hi GuruNY,
I am confused that"A noun cannot be modified by a gerund"
OG16 # 134
Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying that their compliance with laws requiring turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets is protect adult sea turtles.

this is correct sentence,
here laws requiring..
it is Noun + gerund.

please clarify
thanks a lot

have a nice day
>_~