not x but y

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Tue May 03, 2011 10:13 pm
nycknicks11 wrote:p.i.m.p explain. everyone. thanks!

Side question here, what is the proper protocol to get your attention on threads? I PM'ed you, I don't know whether that's appropriate. I figured its ok since you commented on the exact same problem on the mgmat forum.
you can pm, although make sure you know:
1) there's no need to pm on any thread on which i've already written -- we receive automatic notifications on any threads we've ever written on.
2) don't ask specific questions in pm's -- ask them in the thread, and then link to the thread. we don't answer specific questions in private messages.

thx
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Aman Ahuja » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:27 pm
Hello experts
Im still a little confused on how A is incorrect
Can you explain with a few examples

Thanks in advance

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:02 am
Aman Ahuja wrote:Hello experts
Im still a little confused on how A is incorrect
Can you explain with a few examples

Thanks in advance
When not serves to negate a verb form that include a helping verb or linking verb, not must FOLLOW the helping verb or linking verb:
john DID not play the clarinet.
John WILL not attend the party.
John WAS not tall.

In every case, not follows the helping verb or linking verb.

This rule holds true even when not serves as part of the idiom NOT X BUT Y, where X and Y must be parallel forms.
For example:
The earliest writing was not a direct rendering of speech but began as a distinct symbolic system.
Here, the portions in red --was a direct rendering of speech and began as a distinct symbolic system -- are parallel forms.
In accordance with the rule above, not correctly FOLLOWS the linking verb was.

In the SC above:

A: The human mind is not a "blank slate," but instead that it comprises specialized mental mechanisms.
Here, the portions in red -- is a blank slate (verb + noun phrase) and that it comprises specialized mental mechanisms (that-clause) -- are not parallel forms.
Eliminate A.

OA: The human mind is not a "blank slate" but instead comprises specialized mental mechanisms.
Here, the portions in red -- is a blank slate (verb + noun phrase) and comprises specialized mental mechanisms (verb + noun phrase) are parallel forms.
In accordance with the rule above, not correctly follows the linking verb is.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by Aman Ahuja » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:12 am
Thank You for clearing this up GGNY
I really appreciate your explanation :)

by Md Raihan Uddin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:23 pm
Can any expert explain why "that were developed" is correct in option B? I thought " have been developed" would be correct. So, please explain why " have been developed" is wrong.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:21 am
Md Raihan Uddin wrote:Can any expert explain why "that were developed" is correct in option B? I thought " have been developed" would be correct. So, please explain why " have been developed" is wrong.
The present perfect (have + VERBed) serves to express an action that took place at an INDEFINITE moment in the past and that somehow affects the present.
The present perfect cannot serve to express an action that took place at a SPECIFIC time in the past.
B: mental mechanisms that have been developed as a way of solving specific problems human ancestors faced millions of years ago.
Here, have been developed (present perfect) cannot serve to express an action associated with problems faced MILLIONS OF YEARS AGO.
Eliminate B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3