Mission Accomplished 730 ( Q:51, V:38)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

by logitech » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:32 pm
I would like to thank everybody for their good wishes. I will be applying to Los Angeles schools: UCLA and USC

I am also working on putting all of my files in a server. I will let you know when it is completed.

I will be busy to finish up my applications for the next six weeks but I will try my best to answer questions and contribute to the forum as much as I could. If you are in UCLA or USC, we might meet next fall in person to laugh at our GMAT preps.

When I have more time, I will also try to explain what I have done different during my last prep.

Have fun!
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by cheeseburst » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:41 pm
Hey logitech....
Congratulations....U r perseverance personified my friend..
Wonderful post !
Good Luck for ur applications..
Last edited by cheeseburst on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by geet » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:37 pm
hey dude... awesome!!!

u r really a hardcore guy n u truly deserve this scores!!!!

LoGiTeCh as cheeseburst as asked about your maths strategy i will also like to know how u chase 51 , i have a engineering background and good in maths but make silly errors in DS. it will be really helpful if you can spare some time to guide us how to tackel with maths and what all material to refer.

thnx!!!!

Legendary Member

by ronniecoleman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:12 pm
That is one inspiring story!
Congratulations Dude....
You deserve all the success!!!

i will suggest one thing for you..
write your GMAT success story in your applications... B-schools want people like you....
Admission champion, Hauz khaz
011-27565856

by ansh.kumar » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:21 am
hei congrats for this great score

Legendary Member

by logitech » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:45 am
ronniecoleman wrote:That is one inspiring story!
Congratulations Dude....
You deserve all the success!!!

i will suggest one thing for you..
write your GMAT success story in your applications... B-schools want people like you....
Thanks Ronnie..I am hoping that I have bigger success stories to mention in my applications other than GMAT :) It is just a test at the end :)
LGTCH
---------------------

Legendary Member

by logitech » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:00 am
cheeseburst wrote:Hey logitech....
Congratulations....U r perseverance personified my friend..
I took my GMAT last month and scored 660 Q-47 and V-34.In quant I had to just randomly click the last 7-8 questions as I ran out of time.So,now I m 1 month away from my test and my question to u is: Given that I scored a 47 in quant despite randomly marking the last few questions,should I study the manhattan quant guides or just practice my weak areas??
I want to score a 50 or 51 this time around....Wht else shud I be doing to achieve this??
Will appreciate ur response..
MAny Thanx and wishes for ur applications..
cheeseburst, I will try to explain this with a graph :) Even tough they are only 4 points apart from each other, 51 and 47 are very different numbers. I believe that the area in this graph is the amount of time you need invest to boost your score.

Almost a year ago, when I first started my prep, I scored 47 and it took me 2 months to be able to score 49. You score 49 when you still guess at least 2-3 questions at the end. I realized that I need to study and ace the DS so I can have more time on time consuming PS questions. So I am sure you know all of the concepts that are tested but time management makes the difference. And only PRACTICE will give you this skill. This is why I spent good amount of time on Math forum to get myself familiarized with all type of math questions.
Attachments
47to51.jpg
LGTCH
---------------------

by El Cucu » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 am
Logitech, congrats again!
I know you are busy, so when you can, what would you say for scoring a 47/49 in Math, do you think that the Official Guide + Math Review is enough or you think that practice more complex math problems is needed to reach that level? If so which problems do you recommend, and how do you qualify those problems? (Ex, 1 Manhatann are good in these... not so good in that..., 2 Club challenges because...,etc) Many tks!!
:)
PS
All the best with your applications!

Legendary Member

by logitech » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:36 am
El Cucu,

OG Materials, including Quant Review + Paper Tests, are what you need. Also GMAP Prep Software has very good set of questions and those questions are discussed here on the forum. The thing is you will never see the same question on the test day so TAKE AWAYS are the keys. BTG forum + OG will boost your score. Follow Stuarts, Ians, Rons, Brents, Cramya, Ronis, Danaj ,Bidisha_800 and Mals24 solutions.
LGTCH
---------------------

GMAT Score:710

by sumitkhurana » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:41 am
Hey Logitech,

Awesome !! Congratulations and all the best.

Thanks for wonderful contribution to the forum too.

Hey, can you let us know the scores of your practice tests.

Also, did you find the verbal section tougher / lengthier than the verbal in MGMAT tests ( in case you gave those tests).

by jeevan.Gk » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:59 am
Hi.. Can you brief us about the kind of questions you encountered.

In RC's especially.. You would have got lenghty RC's at the end for having done beginning few questions correctly

Legendary Member

by logitech » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:31 pm
sumitkhurana wrote:Hey Logitech,

Awesome !! Congratulations and all the best.

Thanks for wonderful contribution to the forum too.

Hey, can you let us know the scores of your practice tests.

Also, did you find the verbal section tougher / lengthier than the verbal in MGMAT tests ( in case you gave those tests).
My MGMAT scores ranged from 660 to 740 ( Q: 48-51 and V: 28-44 )

My GMAT Prep scores ranged from 680-770 ( Q:49-51 and V: 32-46 )

Verbal was in line with GMAT prep. ( The stress factor, and the time pressure might make you think that it is tougher than GMAT prep but IMO it is not. We all get excited to see our score to the end and timing becomes and issue. Not to mention mental exhaustion! )
LGTCH
---------------------

Legendary Member

by logitech » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:35 pm
jeevan.Gk wrote:Hi.. Can you brief us about the kind of questions you encountered.

In RC's especially.. You would have got lenghty RC's at the end for having done beginning few questions correctly
RC were very similiar to the GMAT Prep. 3 short + 1 long passage ( 3rd RC )

I tried to hit as hard as I could to the first 2 passages. I was trying to figure out whether the 3rd passage was written in English or not :) Since it was a crazy political passage written almost with Old English!! 4th passage was Science passage and I usually love them.

You will find the following link interesting:

https://www.gmat760.com/Book/GMATRC2.aspx
LGTCH
---------------------

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Advice in timing

by Ramp » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:57 pm
Congrats on a great score .

I read in your post that you spent more than 2 mins on a particular QA question . However I have seen most of offical GMAT books or experts on forums state completing every QA question within 2mins (I guess this rule is applicable for 800 scorer) .

After analysing my Manhattan tests I realised that I have spent more than half of my time on questions that I answered wrong , so basically I spent time also but it was wasted. However if I could have given few of those wrong questions 3-4 mins at least (instead of 2)I would have answered more questions correctly.

Whats your advice.

Legendary Member

Re: Advice in timing

by logitech » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:14 pm
Ramp wrote:Congrats on a great score .
I read in your post that you spent more than 2 mins on a particular QA question . However I have seen most of offical GMAT books or experts on forums state completing every QA question within 2mins (I guess this rule is applicable for 800 scorer) .
(1.5 + 2.5 + 2.0) / 3 = 2

This is the beauty of stealing some time from a question and invest in a tough question and you will also need exactly 2 mins for some questions. This is exactly what I did at the end of the test, since I saved couple of of extra minutes in my MINUTES BANK - I used them to solve a tough question.
After analysing my Manhattan tests I realised that I have spent more than half of my time on questions that I answered wrong , so basically I spent time also but it was wasted. However if I could have given few of those wrong questions 3-4 mins at least (instead of 2)I would have answered more questions correctly.
Identify your WEAK POINTS - if you get 75 % of the Mean Values questions WRONG and next time you see them - DO NOT SPEND "extra" TIME ON THEM. In GMAT we don't need to answer all of the questions correctly. Pick up your battles!
LGTCH
---------------------