Military Academy problem

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Military Academy problem

by abhishek.pati » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:41 am
The nation's three military academies have seen a dramatic rise in applications, one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and improved recruiting by the academies.

(A) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and improved recruiting by the academies
(B) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, tuition costs that have increased at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting
(C) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, private colleges that increased their tuition costs, and recruiting improvements by the academies
(D) fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, tuition costs increasing at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting
(E) fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:48 am
Confused between A and E.

IMO E.

The nation's three military academies have seen a dramatic rise in applications, one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and improved recruiting by the academies.

(A) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and improved recruiting by the academies
(B) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, tuition costs that have increased at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting - NO PARALLELISM
(C) one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, private colleges that increased their tuition costs, and recruiting improvements by the academies - NO PARALLELISM
(D) fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, tuition costs increasing at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting
(E) fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:55 am
Hey can you explain how E has parallelism?
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

by abhishek.pati » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:59 am
OA is A but I am not able to figure out why !!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:06 am
cans wrote:Hey can you explain how E has parallelism?

(E)fueled by a resurgence of patriotism, increasing tuition costs at private colleges, and academies improving their recruiting

I had doubt in both of them as marked in red.

A has all three items in parallel but couldnot justify the usage of word one. Thus, eliminated.

E has some parallel issues as marked in Red but I overlooked it over A.

Can you explain the usage of the word one in option A.
Regards,

Pranay

by abhishek.pati » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:09 am
Thats what I was looking for :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ranjeet75 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:37 am
what is the source of the problem?

A and E both have some problems

Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:37 am
It really is not important to understand the meaning of "one", to correctly attempt this sentence, since all other answer choices err significantly in parallelism.

Rise in applications is fueled by three things. Clearly these three things should have parallel structures:

1. Resurgence (Adjective) of Patriotism (Noun)
2. Increasing (Present Participle, an Adjective form) costs (Noun)
3. Improved (Past Participle, an Adjective form) recruiting (Gerund, a Noun form)

So, all the three factors have an Adjective followed by Noun structure. None of the other options has this structure.
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by niksworth » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:42 am
EducationAisle wrote:
Rise in applications is fueled by three things. Clearly these three things should have parallel structures:

1. Resurgence (Adjective) of Patriotism (Noun)
2. Increasing (Present Participle, an Adjective form) costs (Noun)
3. Improved (Past Participle, an Adjective form) recruiting (Gerund, a Noun form)

So, all the three factors have an Adjective followed by Noun structure. None of the other options has this structure.
First, I agree that A is the best option.

While I agree with your overall reasoning of parallelism, which is correctly exhibited only in A, I have doubts on the details which you have provided.

Resurgence (Adjective) of Patriotism (Noun)- Absolutely not. Resurgence is a noun and not an adjective. Think - Rise of Nations - Rise is a noun. of nations is a prepositional phrase modifying the noun. Similarly, Resurgence is a noun, of Patriotism is a prepositional phrase modifying the noun.

Now A has the correct parallel structure because it has 3 nouns (with their modifiers) in parallel.

one fueled by -
a) a resurgence of patriotism
b) increasing tuition costs at private colleges
c) improved recruiting by the academies.

The blue word is the noun and the italics are modifiers.
scio me nihil scire

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:26 am
niksworth wrote:
Resurgence (Adjective) of Patriotism (Noun)- Absolutely not. Resurgence is a noun and not an adjective.
+1
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:20 pm
seems like m the only black sheep here among all the white ones, guys i have a completely different opinion so please clear my understanding. first of all in terms of logical meaning of the sentence, here:

1. Resurgence
2. Increasing costs
3. Improved recruiting
instead on interpreting the sentence in this way can't we interpret this sentence as:

military academies have seen a dramatic rise in

1) applications
2) increasing tuition costs at private colleges
3) improved recruiting by the academies.

where this part " one fueled by a resurgence of patriotism" is just a modifier which is modifying "applications"...means the rise in applications are not fueled by something...while rise in application is just one of the 3 changed which military academies saw.....what do u think...?? i believe this is the meaning of the sentence.

@nicksworth
one fueled by -
u are correct, "resurgence" is a proper noun...now can u explain how u are making a proper noun parallel to a gerund???? parts in green are parallel but how they can both be parallel to a gerund please clear. As per my knowledge,

a standard noun || the -ing of noun but can not parallel to simple -ing form

ex: A rise of || the rising of

but both of the not parallel to "rising"

Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:36 pm
Sure Niksworth. I 'loosely' used the word Adjective for "resurgence" which created confusion. Wanted to illustrate that "resurgence" is describing an "attribute" of the noun "patriotism" (which is what Adjectives do), the way that in the correct choice A, "increasing" is an attribute of noun "tuition costs" and "improved" is an attribute of noun "recruiting".

So, believe parallelism is between "patriotism", "tuition costs" and "recruiting" - patriotism that is resurging, tuition costs that are increasing and recruitment that is improving (or has improved).
Hence, would slightly differ from your assessment that parallelism is between "resurgence", "tuition costs" and "recruiting" (which I believe is what you mean, since you have highlighted these words in your post). The rise in applications is not (logically) fueled by "tuition costs", but by "increasing" tuition costs. Similarly, "improved" recruiting and not "recruiting" itself is a reason for the rise in applications.

Atul, we cannot interpret the sentence as "rise in increasing tuition fees". It can be either "rise in tuition fees" or "increasing tuition fees".
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:39 pm
atulmangal wrote:
@nicksworth
one fueled by -
u are correct, "resurgence" is a proper noun...now can u suggest how u are making a proper noun parallel to a gerund???? parts in green are parallel but how they can both be parallel to a gerund please clear. As per my knowledge,

Hey bro,
I don't know how to respond to this. You have inherently answered your question. Gerund acts as a noun. So, it is parallel to the noun.
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:46 pm
Hi Ashish,
Atul, we cannot interpret the sentence as "rise in increasing tuition fees". It can be either "rise in tuition fees" or "increasing tuition fees".
Agreed, thanks!!!

it was really tough to identify the parallel elements here..

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:56 pm
Frankenstein wrote:
atulmangal wrote:
@nicksworth
one fueled by -
u are correct, "resurgence" is a proper noun...now can u suggest how u are making a proper noun parallel to a gerund???? parts in green are parallel but how they can both be parallel to a gerund please clear. As per my knowledge,

Hey bro,
I don't know how to respond to this. You have inherently answered your question. Gerund acts as a noun. So, it is parallel to the noun.
Brother, i agree that gerunds are noun but my point was A GERUND can not be parallel to a STANDARD NOUN...and m sure about this concept. here is one more example: consider verb "erupt"...the standard noun is "eruption"...now according to parallelism concept what i learned,

eruption || the eruption of || the erupting of

but all of them can not be parallel to "erupting" ---> a simple gerund

u got my point???? Thats the same thing i said:

resurgence || tuition costs (considering both of them as standard nouns)

both of them can not be parallel to

recruiting ---> gerund

Ashish suggested a different reasoning that the parallelism is set between adjectives not between NOUNS (as nicksworth said)...his point seems good to me!!!