MGMAT CAT 5---west indian manatee

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700

MGMAT CAT 5---west indian manatee

by prachich1987 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:31 pm
The West Indian manatee, a distant relative of the elephant, returned to the sea some 50 million years ago. These thousand-pound herbivores inhabit the warm coastal waters where Americans like to play. Despite conservation efforts, criminal penalties for harming these creatures, and an overabundance of SAVE THE MANATEE! bumper stickers, none of these animals can be considered safe.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the argument above?

A) Last year, several manatees were mysteriously killed by an unidentified toxin.

B) All manatees swim at depths that make them vulnerable to the blades of motorboat engines.

C) Most tourists are unaware of the ongoing efforts to save the manatee.

D) The population of manatees in the wild has dwindled to fewer than 2,500 animals.

E)Although dozens of manatee deaths are documented each year, many more deaths go unreported.

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:30 am
IMO B:
This is an copied question from gmatprep by mgmat. In option B you start wondering from where this motor blade came? It came because it was a nonsensical copy of another real Q.
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by RACHVIK » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:29 am
The question stem states that 'Despite conservation efforts, criminal penalties for harming these creatures, and an overabundance of SAVE THE MANATEE! bumper stickers, none of these animals can be considered safe. '.

Its rather a very strong conclusion (NONE!!) and hence would require a strong support. Only B comes close to that.

All manatee swim at a level at which they can be harmed and they cannot escape it anyways!!

Can you advise the OA??

Thanx
Rachvik

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:10 pm
Hi there!

Here's how I broke this argument down:

Conclusion: Manatees are not safe.

Evidence: None given.

Assumptions: That conservation efforts + criminal penalties + stickers do not equal "safe"

Question Rephrase: What supports the argument?

Prediction: Anything that more clearly shows how the author's definition of "safe" is NOT reached by current efforts -- basically proof that manatees are unsafe

(D) may be tempting, but does not show how the statistic relates to the current efforts. I would also choose (B) because of the phrase in the passage "where Americans like to play." If Americans' motorboats are hurting all of the manatees, it makes sense why the conservation efforts, criminal penalties and stickers have not made the animals more "safe."
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700

by prachich1987 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:44 am
The OA is B

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by ashforgmat » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:04 am
It should be B since the argument speaks about how NONE of the manatees can be considered to be safe...

And option B tells us that ALL the manatees swim at depths where they may be hurt by the motorboats...

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by dhonu121 » Tue May 29, 2012 12:11 pm
VivianKerr wrote:Hi there!

Here's how I broke this argument down:

Conclusion: Manatees are not safe.

Evidence: None given.

Assumptions: That conservation efforts + criminal penalties + stickers do not equal "safe"

Question Rephrase: What supports the argument?

Prediction: Anything that more clearly shows how the author's definition of "safe" is NOT reached by current efforts -- basically proof that manatees are unsafe

(D) may be tempting, but does not show how the statistic relates to the current efforts. I would also choose (B) because of the phrase in the passage "where Americans like to play." If Americans' motorboats are hurting all of the manatees, it makes sense why the conservation efforts, criminal penalties and stickers have not made the animals more "safe."

I am still not convinced how you eliminated C so easily.
The argument says,
Despite conservation efforts, criminal penalties for harming these creatures, and an overabundance of SAVE THE MANATEE! bumper stickers, none of these animals can be considered safe..

To strengthen this, it can be useful to say that most(mind it!!) of the tourists are not aware of the government's efforts and hence might not be careful towards the animal's preservation and hence might be responsible for their killings ?
If you've liked my post, let me know by pressing the thanks button.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:17 am
Yes the OA is B. It came down to the options A and B for me. But because in the stimulus, such an extreme word all manatees is used, B is the correct answer.

The GMAT loves to trap the students, by using words like some, many, most , often, all, most often than not etc etc etc...

Thank You.
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.