In order to conserve the energy and heat

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:47 am
richachampion wrote:I wanted to discuss this question in the light of the idiom Compared to or Compared with.

I think both compared to/compared with is right in GMAT, but

X compared to/with Y. Here X and Y should show some sort of statistics, Right? Please shower some light.
For the purposes of the GMAT, consider compared to and compared with interchangeable.
While these phrases often refer to statistical differences, the inclusion of actual numbers is not required.
An OA in GMATPrep:
Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.
Here, no numbers are included in the portion in blue.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Pratishtha21 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:04 am
A)thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for - correct
B)thereby reducing their rate of burning energy until it is 25 percent lower when compared with - lower and compared- redundant
C)and they thereby reduce by 25 percent the rate they burn energy, as compared to what it would be with - wrong comparison due to use of with
D)which thereby reduces by 25 percent their rate of burning energy, when comparing them to - them cant refer to rate
E)which thereby reduces the rate they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than - rate compared with birds

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gui_guimaraes » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:15 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs, male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups, thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for isolated birds.

A)thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for
B)thereby reducing their rate of burning energy until it is 25 percent lower when compared with
C)and they thereby reduce by 25 percent the rate they burn energy, as compared to what it would be with
D)which thereby reduces by 25 percent their rate of burning energy, when comparing them to
E)which thereby reduces the rate they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than
B: lower when compared with
Here, lower and compared are redundant.
The correct idiom is lower than.
Eliminate B.

C: the rate [that] they burn
Here, the word in brackets is omitted but implied.
The conveyed meaning is that the RATE is burned.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate C.

D and E: male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups, which thereby reduces
Here, which reduces lacks a singular antecedent.
Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is A.
The pronoun "it" in answer choice A couldn't be considered ambiguous? Energy or Rate

Tks! :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:14 am
gui_guimaraes wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:In order to conserve the energy and heat they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs, male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups, thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for isolated birds.

A)thereby reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than it would be for
B)thereby reducing their rate of burning energy until it is 25 percent lower when compared with
C)and they thereby reduce by 25 percent the rate they burn energy, as compared to what it would be with
D)which thereby reduces by 25 percent their rate of burning energy, when comparing them to
E)which thereby reduces the rate they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower than
Eliminate B.

Eliminate C.

D and E: male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups, which thereby reduces
Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is A.
The pronoun "it" in answer choice A couldn't be considered ambiguous? Energy or Rate

Tks! :)
A: reducing the rate at which they burn energy so that it is 25 percent lower
Since the penguins are REDUCING THE RATE, we know from context that it refers to the rate, conveying that THE RATE is lower.
Regardless, an answer choice may be eliminated for pronoun ambiguity only if an alternate answer choice avoids the ambiguity and is free of errors.
Here, B, C, D and E are all incorrect for the various reasons discussed above.
Thus, the correct answer must be A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vietnam47 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:18 pm

my doubt :i somehow feel that above sentence is a run on
i feel that in the initial clause "that" is missing and without that "that" the sentence is a run on

i feel that were the sentence as follows then the sentence wud have been oki

In order to conserve the energy and heat that they need to spend the entire winter sitting motionless over incubating eggs, male emperor penguins huddle over the nests in groups......

instructors kindly help
the key to success on sc is to understanding the intended meaning when you read only the original choice. this choice is disordered, and understanding its meaning is hard.
to understanding the intended meaning, one need to do an important job, realizing the headwords of pronouns. this job require you to check whether the pronoun is good or not.

when reading choice A, we see "it" in "it is" and "it would be". it take us time and energy to see that "it" refers to "rate". and this reference is good. so, we now can accept choice A.

look at choice C. "as compared to" work as a preposition inhere. we need to find a noun so that this noun can be "compared to what". we need 2 noun before and after "compared to". we do not find any noun before "compared to", so, the use of "compared to" is incorrect. choice c is gone

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vietnam47 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:46 am

I can not accept choice A until I find the clear errors in other choices. I want to say some words on choice a.
look at A
I want to show that some time we use "it/they" , other time we use "that/those" to make comparison. normally, "that/those" is used and "it/they" is seldom used. and some time we use Zero "that/those" and Zero "it/they"
"it is" refers to " rate at which they burn energy".
here "rate at which they burn energy" is general phrase. now, we attache "when they huddle" and "when they are isolated" to "rate at which they burn energy".
"the rate at which they burn energy" when they huddle is lower than that at which they burn energy when they are isolated"
this is good. but we need "that" to say about different rate in different condition. we are comparing two rates.
if we want to use "it", we make comparison in which the same rate happen in 2 contexts.
the rate at which they burn energy now is lower than it would be for isolated birds.
than it would be when they are huddle.

these sentence are good. but no parallelism is required.
if we use "that/those", parallelism is require. if we use "it/they" , no parallelism is required. this is FORMULAR

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Re:

by poppyt » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:31 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:20 am

Eliminate B.

Eliminate C.

Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is A.

Hi Mitch,

Sorry asking a question so late on this old thread. I'm a bit confused at the answer you gave to eliminate option C here. Why would this sentence convey meaning is that "the RATE is burned"? Doesn't the verb "burn" in the that independent clause already has an object "energy"

Thanks