Heavy commitment

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

Heavy commitment

by Uri » Mon May 04, 2009 12:07 am
Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.
  1. Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.
  2. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that worked well in the past, makes missing signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting ones likely when they do appear.
  3. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past.
  4. Executives’ being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.
  5. Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.
OA: [spoiler](E)[/spoiler]

This question has been discussed earlier but ultimately there was no agreement. Can anyone please help?

Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.
"it" seems ambiguous: commitment or course of action?
An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that worked well in the past, makes missing signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting ones likely when they do appear.
Changes the meaning. The fault here is transferred from commitment to the executive!
An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past.
I think there is modifier issue in this choice
Executives’ being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.
the apostrophe is perhaps not needed. Also concerned with "being"
Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.
once again worried with "being". don't think it is necessary here.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Re: Heavy commitment

by Vemuri » Mon May 04, 2009 12:55 am
What is the source of this question? As you very rightly pointed out each of the options has some problem or the other. I nevertheless have an inclination towards C, but am unable to prove that it does not have a modifier issue.

Why don't you PM Stacey or some expert & get their opinion?

Legendary Member

by ketkoag » Mon May 04, 2009 1:07 am
Please explain why D is wrong..
is it because it is talking about employees that is plural?
please lemme know the error present in C.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by Uri » Mon May 04, 2009 2:16 am
ketkoag wrote:Please explain why D is wrong..
is it because it is talking about employees that is plural?
please lemme know the error present in C.
in (C), the executive is blamed, while in (A) the commitment of the employee is blamed! but i am not sure whether this can make or break the correct option.

i found the question in this forum and do not know any other source. the earlier post mentioned [spoiler](E)[/spoiler] as the OA.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:710

by rahulg83 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:25 pm
This is a GMATprep question which i encountered today!!!!
Well, the correct answer is indeed E, and i kicked it out without even reading the sentence.
Opinions please???

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:28 am
i can vouch that this is an official GMATPREP problem.
Uri wrote:
"it" seems ambiguous: commitment or course of action?
YES.
"it" is ambiguous here, for exactly the reasons you have outlined.

by the way, this is PRECISELY the reason why they chose to write "being heavily committed", rather than "heavy commitment", in the correct answer. see the discussion of that answer, below.
An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that worked well in the past, makes missing signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting ones likely when they do appear.
Changes the meaning. The fault here is transferred from commitment to the executive!
yeah.

there are also other problems, such as "misinterpreting ones", as well as the general ridiculous sloppiness of this sentence.
An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past.
it's more the pronoun issue.

the best way i can explain it to non-native speakers of english is that "it" could potentially stand for "incipient trouble" and is thus ambiguous (especially in light of the fact that "incipient trouble" is WAY WAY closer to "it" than is the properly intended antecedent).

to any native english speakers reading this post, you should reflexively find ugliness in this pronoun. in other words, you just won't know what "it" is supposed to stand for, unless you go back through the sentence at least one more time and hunt for an antecedent.
Executives’ being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.
you missed what is easily the most important problem with this part: the blatant lack of parallelism between "miss" and "misinterpreting".
these two ideas are clearly parallel, and they're presented in tandem, so they have to have parallel grammatical structures.
Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.
once again worried with "being". don't think it is necessary here.[/quote]

well, you clearly can't just OMIT "being", i.e., say "heavily committed" by itself. if you try to do that, then the sentence won't have a subject at all.
(if you don't understand this, post back)

see next post for details on why (e) is the best choice here.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:53 am
in this problem, the combination of "being heavily committed" + "ONE that has worked well in the past" was VERY carefully chosen. VERY carefully.

let's look at why.

"being heavily committed to a course of action" vs. "heavy commitment to a course of action":
with the first of these, "ONE" clearly refers only to a course of action. it can't refer to an -ing phrase.
with the second, either "it" or "one" could possibly refer to either "commitment" or "course of action". in other words, we have an ambiguity.

"it" vs. "one":
"it" could refer either to "being heavily committed" (yes, "it" can stand for these sorts of phrases) or to "a course of action".
as stated above, "one" refers ONLY to "a course of action", since it can't stand for -ing phrases.

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by walker » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:24 am
Ron, a question to u,

one - usually refers to a noun/adjective ??

can the sentence makes sense like this,

Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear

here the one cant point to Being heavily committed - coz
"especially one that has worked well in the past" is actually the course of action not the commitment.

coz commitment will not work, only sries of action wll work.

SO one rfers to couse of action.

thn the verb "is" will point to the subject "heavy committment."

please advice if my understanding is not correct!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:08 pm
walker wrote:Ron, a question to u,

one - usually refers to a noun/adjective ??

can the sentence makes sense like this,

Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear

here the one cant point to Being heavily committed - coz
"especially one that has worked well in the past" is actually the course of action not the commitment.

coz commitment will not work, only sries of action wll work.

SO one rfers to couse of action.

thn the verb "is" will point to the subject "heavy committment."

please advice if my understanding is not correct!!
i don't like the way you're thinking about this.
first of all, because you're thinking too hard.
second, and much more importantly, because you're thinking about this stuff with completely wrong priorities. specifically, you have to think about issues of GRAMMATICAL CORRECTNESS BEFORE ISSUES OF MEANING.

--

here are the requisite issues and fixes, in case you don't know them.

as i stated in the last post:
you can't use "ONE" to refer to -ing phrases.
that's the only issue here.

you have to use "one" to refer to SINGULAR NOUNS, ESPECIALLY NOUNS THAT ARE PRECEDED BY THE INDEFINITE ARTICLE ("A" / "AN").

in this case, "a course of action" fits this bill perfectly. nothing else even comes close.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by goelmohit2002 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:18 am
lunarpower wrote:
you missed what is easily the most important problem with this part: the blatant lack of parallelism between "miss" and "misinterpreting".
these two ideas are clearly parallel, and they're presented in tandem, so they have to have parallel grammatical structures.
Hi Ron,

IMO we can kick out this based on pronoun "them"(highlighted one) having no referent.....

Kindly tell if there are any gaps in my understanding.

Thanks
Mohit

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:22 am
lunarpower wrote:
it's more the pronoun issue.

the best way i can explain it to non-native speakers of english is that "it" could potentially stand for "incipient trouble" and is thus ambiguous (especially in light of the fact that "incipient trouble" is WAY WAY closer to "it" than is the properly intended antecedent).

to any native english speakers reading this post, you should reflexively find ugliness in this pronoun. in other words, you just won't know what "it" is supposed to stand for, unless you go back through the sentence at least one more time and hunt for an antecedent.
Hi Ron,

Why can't we kick out the above option based on wrong placement of appositive modifier....

The noun that especially modifier is supposed to modify is not just before this modifier...

Please tell what I am missing here ?

Thanks
Mohit

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:17 am
lunarpower wrote: you have to use "one" to refer to SINGULAR NOUNS, ESPECIALLY NOUNS THAT ARE PRECEDED BY THE INDEFINITE ARTICLE ("A" / "AN").
Hi Ron,

Thanks a lot !

But somewhere(can't name as it is very reputed test prep company..of course not Manhattan :-)) I read that "one/oneself" can refer to only previous "one".....and not to nouns....they gave this example too:

Pension is a money that "a worker" puts aside to take care of "oneself".

I am really confused....Can you please tell what indeed is the case ?

Your opinion is always I think we can follow blindly :-)

Thanks
Mohit

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:23 pm
goelmohit2002 wrote:Hi Ron,

IMO we can kick out this based on pronoun "them"(highlighted one) having no referent.....

Kindly tell if there are any gaps in my understanding.

Thanks
Mohit
yeah, this is correct. the pronoun "them" can't have the possessive "executives' " as an antecedent.

this "rule", which has been included in our materials as the "possessive poison rule", is sufficiently obscure that you don't really have to know it - but it's one more weapon in your arsenal.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:50 pm
goelmohit2002 wrote:Why can't we kick out the above option based on wrong placement of appositive modifier....

The noun that especially modifier is supposed to modify is not just before this modifier...

Please tell what I am missing here ?

Thanks
Mohit
that's not an appositive modifier. that's a subordinate clause, introduced by the subordinating conjunction "if".
in other words, a completely different type of construction.

an appositive modifier is just another noun (or noun phrase, etc) thrown in after a comma, such as
my brother, a consultant, works in san francisco.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:53 pm
goelmohit2002 wrote:
lunarpower wrote: you have to use "one" to refer to SINGULAR NOUNS, ESPECIALLY NOUNS THAT ARE PRECEDED BY THE INDEFINITE ARTICLE ("A" / "AN").
Hi Ron,

Thanks a lot !

But somewhere(can't name as it is very reputed test prep company..of course not Manhattan :-)) I read that "one/oneself" can refer to only previous "one".....and not to nouns....they gave this example too:

Pension is a money that "a worker" puts aside to take care of "oneself".

I am really confused....Can you please tell what indeed is the case ?

Your opinion is always I think we can follow blindly :-)

Thanks
Mohit
that is correct, but refers to something different.

the rule you're citing refers to the PERSONAL PRONOUN "one", which is a standalone pronoun (i.e., it doesn't have an antecedent, in the way that "I" doesn't have an antecedent), and means, roughly, "an arbitrary person".

for instance:
One should not take unnecessary risks.
that's the "one" you're talking about.
incidentally, "oneself" is ALWAYS this type of pronoun.

that is NOT the "one" used in this sentence, which is more like the "one" in
i'd rather have a blue car than a red one.
in this case, "one" refers to "car", and is not the personal pronoun used in the sentence above.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron