• NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    Hundreds of Questions Highly Detailed Reporting Expert Explanations TAKE A FREE GMAT QUIZ
  • 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

Gmat Prep vs. Real Gmat

This topic has 11 expert replies and 13 member replies
Goto page Previous
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posted:
192 messages
Followed by:
5 members
Upvotes:
Test Date:
3/29/2013
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Do you think it is very logical that the gmat compares you to other people? Especially considering things, which apparently they didn't regulate, such as this happen:
http://www.beatthegmat.com/first-time-660-second-time-680-this-time-750-q50-v41-t8416.html

Sounds like a pretty large competitive disadvantage, especially since I had a professor who was getting paid 6 figures and did that exact same shi*. I am pretty frustrated at this point as well. I have literally gone over every single book multiple times that all the prep company's give, back solved the OG multiple times, and gone over questions on this forum. I just scored a 590 on Manhattan's prep test (My quant dropped by 11 points?) and that was after 2 perfect 800 scores from the old tests that GMAT sells! There are still questions I had no prior knowledge of that are on the test. For example, I got an Ellipsis SC question? Please do point me to anywhere in any of the prep books that that type of SC question is covered. I mean, it is to the point where I am going to start believing this test is boarderline fradulent (in fact it wouldn't be that difficult to prove), which wouldn't really shock me. I mean, correct me if I am wrong, but you should literally be able to go over every single question in gmatprep and manhattan gmatprep and be able to point back to some RULE or some EXAMPLE that it is covering that you should be held accountable for knowing? I don't care if it takes the next 7 years, if I am going to be held 100% accountable for my score, I expect GMAT to be held 100% accountable for the prep materials THEY provide.

-BP

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Posted:
451 messages
Followed by:
117 members
Upvotes:
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Facebook Logo

You know I love you, right? Because I'm about to get "real" with you (like they used to do on the Real World):

This test is not illegitimate or awful or weird or terrible. The prep materials are not perfect but they're perfectly adequate to prepare one for scoring well on the test. As Julius Caesar once said (via Shakespeare): The fault is not in our stars, but in our selves.

The old paper tests are not there to help you diagnose your score (GMAC would be the first to say this). They are just there to provide practice questions in a test format.

The fact that people are cheating is not a reason to call the test fraudulent. People cheat at everything in the universe; but two wrongs don't make a right, and the vast vast vast VAST majority of people who do well on the GMAT do well because they studied and learned and got better.

Again, I love you, man. But this kind of stuff is just going to distract you from the work you need to be doing. Take a deep breath, a few days off, and then rededicate yourself to the task at hand.

-t

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Free Manhattan Prep online events - The first class of every online Manhattan Prep course is free. Classes start every week.
Posted:
192 messages
Followed by:
5 members
Upvotes:
Test Date:
3/29/2013
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:

I feel the love, I really do. But, in internet/blunt lingo, WTH is with that elipssis sh*t? I don't really know what more work I can do as far as being able to answer questions over material I don't have. I mean, if I miss a question, such as a Work Rate question or a set question that I can study, I am perfectly fine with it and can easily go over it and beat myself up over it. However, if I go into the test center and I get loads of questions that I have no way of knowing how to solve I am going to take off my shirt and run around the test center like a crazy person.

-BP

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Posted:
451 messages
Followed by:
117 members
Upvotes:
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Facebook Logo
I cannot blame you for that desire. However, the truth is there is no such test. You will not get loads of questions that you have no way of knowing how to solve. If you can recognize every single error on every single question in the OG, that is definitively enough to score very well on the test. I believe that with my heart and soul (not to mention going on 6 years of teaching this test). Remember, many answer choices in SC are wrong for multiple reasons, so you have to take any individual error with a grain of salt. And of course, every single CR and RC question is answerable with close reading and logic.

And don't take off your shirt and run around the center. I think you'll end up with a cancelled score. : )

-t

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Free Manhattan Prep online events - The first class of every online Manhattan Prep course is free. Classes start every week.
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
2 messages
Upvotes:
The practice problems may be easier at times, and the official test may be harder but please remember that the test is comparing you to others -- so harder for you also means harder for them, so that tougher problems would not lead to a lower score unless other people dealt with those problems more effectively than you did.

What really happens when people get a much lower score than they expect is that they make a few "silly" mistakes and think that they are getting problems right on the actual test but are actually missing them based on a something subtle, such as answering the wrong question (you should have answered for the amount left over, not the amount used, for example), making an assumption (particularly on data sufficiency), a small calculation error, etc.

You say that you were confident in your answers and then the score was lower. This is how such a thing can happen:

1) You make some subtle mistakes and are confident that you got the problem right (the official GMAT test is REALLY good at this -- the person who misses the question is often more confident than is the one who got it right!)

2) Since you missed some of those problems based on the subtle errors you are actually at a lower level than you might think, so subsequent problems might feel easier because they are actually of lower difficulty.

3) You make enough errors throughout the rest of the test so that you never do quite get up to the level of questions that would give you the score that you expected.

Now the question is, "What can you do about this going forward?"

Well you know that you have to wait 31 days to take the test again. I hope that this does not pose to big of a problem.

When you go back in a month to take the test you need to be even more conscious of the little tricks that the questions play and you need to be even more prepared to get the questions right that you can get right.

Do you find that Data Sufficiency is a strength for you or a weakness?
Thanks so much for your prompt and thorough response! I'll look through the links and make some notes. I'm sure you're right about my looking over the nuances in the way the questions were worded. I wrote my first entry an hour after finishing.... when I was incensed!

I would probably name Data Sufficiency as my weaker subject. I can do algebra, geometry, simplification, functions, etc all day! Doing DS, I could probably see myself drawing unreasonable conclusions based on assumptions that are not given, and going with the answer that first appears to be correct.

I'll post a follow-up in another month or two with the results from my next sitting.

One specific question: I don't quite understand how detrimental it is to omit the answer to a question. Can you explain how scoring works? If you don't answer one question, is it the equivalent of being incorrect, or is there an added penalty for not providing an answer?

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Posted:
2193 messages
Followed by:
509 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
Here is an answer to your specific question.

This article is on what to do when you are out of time. (You will see that failing to answer a question is not the same as missing it..depending on how you are doing it can be better to miss it or better to not answer - generally better to miss it).

This article is from the Veritas Prep blog
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/12/running-out-of-time-at-the-end-of-the-test/

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Posted:
2193 messages
Followed by:
509 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:

Something is happening when you take the official test that is not happening with the GMATPrep. That is a pretty steep drop from your practice tests.

Are you overly nervous during the test? Is something different? When you practice do you do the AWA and the IR section?

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
7 messages
karan_s -

Something is happening when you take the official test that is not happening with the GMATPrep. That is a pretty steep drop from your practice tests.

Are you overly nervous during the test? Is something different? When you practice do you do the AWA and the IR section?
David,

I have practiced every mock ( whether GMATPrep or MGMAT) under strict exam conditions.

AWA+IR+ 8min break+ Quant+ 8 min break+Verbal.

Even i gave 2 MGMAT mocks in a cyber cafe, where people were coming in and out, full of distractions. The reason for that is during my first attempt i faced distractions for e.g: People coming in and out of test room, noise of keyboard etc. And yes they do provide ear plugs but they still not good enough.

Even during the test day my AWA was pretty straightforward (FYI i scored 5.5 in AWA in my first attempt). So AWA was fine. Even the IR section was easy as well ( 6 in first attempt). I guessed on 1 question and i finished this section in time as well.

I can assure you if i give a mock again (any mock), i know i can still score above 700. Not being overconfident ,but i know i can score that well. Past 2 days i have been contemplating as to what went wrong. Something is definitely not right in my approach when i give my real GMAT.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Posted:
192 messages
Followed by:
5 members
Upvotes:
Test Date:
3/29/2013
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:

Alright, I will keep plugging away. One more month.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Posted:
451 messages
Followed by:
117 members
Upvotes:
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Facebook Logo

(Also, FYI, I'll be abandoning the forum shortly, unfortunately, so if I don't respond to PM's and posts, don't think I'm a jerk!)

-t

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • The Princeton Review
    FREE GMAT Exam
    Know how you'd score today for $0

MORE DETAILS
    The Princeton Review
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep

Top First Responders*

1 Ian Stewart 64 first replies
2 Jay@ManhattanReview 53 first replies
3 Brent@GMATPrepNow 52 first replies
4 GMATGuruNY 28 first replies
5 Scott@TargetTestPrep 19 first replies
* Only counts replies to topics started in last 30 days
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

200 posts
2 image description Max@Math Revolution

Math Revolution

93 posts
3 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

90 posts
4 image description Ian Stewart

GMATiX Teacher

71 posts
5 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

68 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts