GMAT 740(Q50,V40).4 exams over 2.5 yrs.Never, ever give up.

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 5
Joined: 24 Oct 2012

by DV25 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:03 am
Hi Varun ,

I have sent you a message regarding the tutor details . Can you please share the details ? .

Thank you ,
DV

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 24
Joined: 10 Jun 2013
Thanked: 19 times
Followed by:11 members

by varunshetty_1 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:24 am
DV25 wrote:Hi Varun ,

I have sent you a message regarding the tutor details . Can you please share the details ? .

Thank you ,
DV
Yup responded!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 1
Joined: 15 Mar 2016

by Meg_H » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:43 pm
Hi Varun.
I have sent you a PM. For some reason, its in my outbox. If you haven't received my message ,can you please share your email ID?
Thanks

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 24
Joined: 10 Jun 2013
Thanked: 19 times
Followed by:11 members

by varunshetty_1 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:23 am
Meg_H wrote:Hi Varun.
I have sent you a PM. For some reason, its in my outbox. If you haven't received my message ,can you please share your email ID?
Thanks
Hi Meghana!

Yeah I see this issue with a lot of my emails too. I got your message and I have sent my response. Let me know if you get it accordingly.

Varun

User avatar
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 2
Joined: 07 Oct 2016

by itisha » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:47 pm
Hi Varun,

I am a non engg, female with 7 years of experience, having lost touch with Maths some 12-10 years back. And, i am clear and stubborn on my GMAT preps to apply for 2017 spring(September?!). I joined Princeton Review and took group classes there(while i have always been privileged to private tutoring since childhood, this was my first time ever with a coaching center). It did not really help me much as i was not serious for my classes or with my preps back then. But now, its been around 2 months i have been devoting time and effort to GMAT. I brushed up my basics via mahattan & Kaplan, and solved OG-16 both Quant and Verbal once already(doing it the second time now). I face two major problems and i hope to get a solution on them through you:
1. When i do basics, i feel i know it all, and when it comes to applying those basics to questions, questions which are a little twisted and would need you to apply basics in a twisted manner, i fail each time!
2. Concentration Power: for 4 hours at a stretch, i usually hinder or think through some random matters happening around, or just plain panic on the questions.
Please suggest,..
Also, I was wondering if taking mocks every alternate will help me improve my concentration power and applying basics to questions in a stipulated time?? since, there are times when i get the logic but after 15 minutes of being stuck on the question.

My last few mocks have been as follows:
1. July - 340
2. August - 420
3. September - 430,440
4. October - 460

Regards,
Itisha

User avatar
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 2
Joined: 07 Oct 2016

by itisha » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:51 pm
itisha wrote:Hi Varun,

I am a non engg, female with 7 years of experience, having lost touch with Maths some 12-10 years back. And, i am clear and stubborn on my GMAT preps to apply for 2017 spring(September?!). I joined Princeton Review and took group classes there(while i have always been privileged to private tutoring since childhood, this was my first time ever with a coaching center). It did not really help me much as i was not serious for my classes or with my preps back then. But now, its been around 2 months i have been devoting time and effort to GMAT. I brushed up my basics via mahattan & Kaplan, and solved OG-16 both Quant and Verbal once already(doing it the second time now). I face two major problems and i hope to get a solution on them through you:
1. When i do basics, i feel i know it all, and when it comes to applying those basics to questions, questions which are a little twisted and would need you to apply basics in a twisted manner, i fail each time!
2. Concentration Power: for 4 hours at a stretch, i usually hinder or think through some random matters happening around, or just plain panic on the questions.
Please suggest,..
Also, I was wondering if taking mocks every alternate will help me improve my concentration power and applying basics to questions in a stipulated time?? since, there are times when i get the logic but after 15 minutes of being stuck on the question.

My last few mocks have been as follows:
1. July - 340
2. August - 420
3. September - 430,440
4. October - 460

Regards,
Itisha

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 7
Joined: 27 Jul 2015
Thanked: 1 times

by AshB » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:55 pm
Varun,

Congrats and thanks for sharing your GMAT story! Have to admit, it is very inspirational.

Thinking about your comment on GMAT as the lone criteria, H/S/W have 80% of class between 680 - 760, their range appears to be larger than some others, with some admits in mid 500s. Have you happened to research why? I am certainly positive that there is no Indian profile in the mid 500s. Given the range of middle 80%, mid 500s is low enough that one can almost consider that it might not have carried any weight at all in the app.

Talking to different adcoms and putting together all the information together, I am leaning towards concluding that there are few schools (H/S/W and may be few others) that give consideration to the entire app, while others might look at GMAT first, if not the only one.

Good Luck!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 3
Joined: 23 Nov 2015

by abhimahna » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:14 am
Amazing Article Varun ! Really liked each and every word of your article. Very Motivating. I am also hoping to write such a great article soon. :)

If possible, please share the LSAT RC Material. My Email ID is [email protected]
Last edited by abhimahna on Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 3
Joined: 30 Jun 2016

by hungle » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:17 am
thanks for your sharing.
im now struggling with gmat RC. can you share with me LSAT RC material?
My google drive address is [email protected].
Thanks a lot.
Viet hung

User avatar
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 3
Joined: 17 Aug 2016
Thanked: 1 times

by akataria » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:39 am
Congratulations!
These are some crazy insights!! thanks for jotting it down!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 18
Joined: 01 Jul 2015
Thanked: 1 times
GMAT Score:720

by mack13 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:42 am
Very well done! Congratulations for the stellar score :D :D :D
Please take a moment to hit Thanks if you like my post. :)

User avatar
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 3
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
GMAT Score:750

by sergeyk » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:19 pm
Wow. What a journey. The author could definitely be prized for trying so hard.

So sorry you didn't get the right coaching upfront. A piece of advice for everyone trying to figure out the study plan on your own - get proper coaching.

Most course in India will, of course, have a huge number of students in them - this is a numbers game. Some western test prep centres have much smaller classes with professional instructors. These programs are a much better value and are better than private coaching, because you also get exposed to teamwork and other candidates in class.

As for the "holistic" approach, nothing could be further from truth. The GMAT is NOT everything. Very simply put, the GMAT is a cutoff criterion. A bad GMAT will definitely get your application thrown away, but a good GMAT will not get you into the school.

As for studying with so many resources - this could be overwhelming. Get one good online platform, if you can't come to class or hire a personal coach. Here is a good one to try: https://admitmaster.com/freetest/

Good luck studying!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 2
Joined: 12 Jan 2015
Thanked: 1 times

by [email protected] » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:05 am
awesome article and finally congratulations on achieving 740. :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 24
Joined: 10 Jun 2013
Thanked: 19 times
Followed by:11 members

by varunshetty_1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:40 pm
itisha wrote:Hi Varun,

I am a non engg, female with 7 years of experience, having lost touch with Maths some 12-10 years back. And, i am clear and stubborn on my GMAT preps to apply for 2017 spring(September?!). I joined Princeton Review and took group classes there(while i have always been privileged to private tutoring since childhood, this was my first time ever with a coaching center). It did not really help me much as i was not serious for my classes or with my preps back then. But now, its been around 2 months i have been devoting time and effort to GMAT. I brushed up my basics via mahattan & Kaplan, and solved OG-16 both Quant and Verbal once already(doing it the second time now). I face two major problems and i hope to get a solution on them through you:
1. When i do basics, i feel i know it all, and when it comes to applying those basics to questions, questions which are a little twisted and would need you to apply basics in a twisted manner, i fail each time!
2. Concentration Power: for 4 hours at a stretch, i usually hinder or think through some random matters happening around, or just plain panic on the questions.
Please suggest,..
Also, I was wondering if taking mocks every alternate will help me improve my concentration power and applying basics to questions in a stipulated time?? since, there are times when i get the logic but after 15 minutes of being stuck on the question.

My last few mocks have been as follows:
1. July - 340
2. August - 420
3. September - 430,440
4. October - 460

Regards,
Itisha
Hi Itisha,

Honestly - this would require a bit more investigation before I come to a response. I'm sorry to say this - but your scores are well, well below par. I'm not sure if the GMAT is the right exam for you. Even if Math isn't your forte - you should do really well in verbal to compensate. But your scores don't look nywhere ready for the same.

Reach out to me in a PM, we can talk further there.

Varun

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 24
Joined: 10 Jun 2013
Thanked: 19 times
Followed by:11 members

by varunshetty_1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:41 pm
[email protected] wrote:awesome article and finally congratulations on achieving 740. :)
Thank you for the kind words :-)