GMAT 700 (Q46 V40) 75th, 89th percentile respectively.

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Another GMAT 700 debrief (Q46, V40) 75th and 89th percentile respectively. 90th percentile over all.

Am I entirely happy? No, but I'm sure as hell not going to retake it.

Where to begin? Here is my background. My undergraduate major is psychology and I have recently completed my Masters in cognitive neuroscience. I am a native English speaker and I attended the University of California San Diego. In general, I tend to think my verbal skills are stronger than my quantitative skills.

When I took the GRE for entry in the masters program, my score was 1320. 60 something percentile for math and 96th percentile for verbal. Overall, the GMAT is a more difficult test, for me at least.

A WARNING: These are the methods that worked for me and not anyone else, so take it with a grain of salt.

Past scores:
Round 1:
GMATPREP 1: 610
GMATPREP 2: 610
MANHATTAN: 580
MANHATTAN: 620
MANHATTAN: 660
MANHATTAN: 680
MANHATTAN: 690

At this point, after exhausting all of the question banks from both the MGMAT and GMATPREP. I began to retake the exams.

Round 2:
GMATPREP 1: 710
GMATPREP 2: 720
MANHATTAN 1: 690
MANHATTAN 2: 680
MANHATTAN 3: 720
MANHATTAN 4: 710
MANHATTAN 5: 710
MANHATTAN 6: 700

Actual GMAT 700

There is NOTHING wrong with exhausting the question banks; in fact I would highly recommend it. The test loses its validity, but who the hell cares? Its great testing practice and there are usually 10-20 percent new questions each round that are in the 700+ range.

Books

I studied with the MGMAT sentence correction book and it messed up my verbal score many times. Most people experience the exact opposite. For me, my "natural" verbal skills are strong. Learning all those technical uses just messed with my ability to "hear" mistakes. By just following my ear I did about 40 percentile points better. No joke. I'm sure this isn't typical, but it has been my experience.

GMAT official 12th edition:

Great to begin with, but almost useless if you want a 700+ score. Begin your studying here, but the GMAT is MUCH harder and if you want a high score it just isn't sufficient study material.

GMAT official quantitative review

Same as above. Almost useless if you want a high score. It's a good beginning but it will only make you cocky. The real GMAT is much much much harder.

Practice tests:

GMATPREP is indispensable as both a practice test and study aid. Use it until you score well above your desired outcome.

MGMAT is also indispensable. They have put a lot of thought into their tests and they are only second best to GMATPREP.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by karanrulz4ever » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:23 pm
Congrats!!! best of luck for apps...

by colinporter101 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:15 pm
Thanks. Its no 740 : )

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Ramit88 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:23 pm
700 is a good score...
how many probability and combination ques came in ur exam

by colinporter101 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:29 am
I wouldn't put too much effort into studying comb./prob. questions extensively, but have a basic understanding of how to approach them. Its all a blur so I really cant recall a single problem.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by tonebeeze » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:24 am
colinporter101 wrote:Another GMAT 700 debrief (Q46, V40) 75th and 89th percentile respectively. 90th percentile over all.

Am I entirely happy? No, but I'm sure as hell not going to retake it.

Where to begin? Here is my background. My undergraduate major is psychology and I have recently completed my Masters in cognitive neuroscience. I am a native English speaker and I attended the University of California San Diego. In general, I tend to think my verbal skills are stronger than my quantitative skills.

When I took the GRE for entry in the masters program, my score was 1320. 60 something percentile for math and 96th percentile for verbal. Overall, the GMAT is a more difficult test, for me at least.

A WARNING: These are the methods that worked for me and not anyone else, so take it with a grain of salt.

Past scores:
Round 1:
GMATPREP 1: 610
GMATPREP 2: 610
MANHATTAN: 580
MANHATTAN: 620
MANHATTAN: 660
MANHATTAN: 690

At this point, after exhausting all of the question banks from both the MGMAT and GMATPREP. I began to retake the exams.

Round 2:
GMATPREP 1: 710
GMATPREP 2: 720
MANHATTAN 1: 690
MANHATTAN 2: 680
MANHATTAN 3: 720
MANHATTAN 4: 710
MANHATTAN 5: 710
MANHATTAN 6: 700

Actual GMAT 700

There is NOTHING wrong with exhausting the question banks; in fact I would highly recommend it. The test loses its validity, but who the hell cares? Its great testing practice and there are usually 10-20 percent new questions each round that are in the 700+ range.

Books

I studied with the MGMAT sentence correction book and it messed up my verbal score many times. Most people experience the exact opposite. For me, my "natural" verbal skills are strong. Learning all those technical uses just messed with my ability to "hear" mistakes. By just following my ear I did about 40 percentile points better. No joke. I'm sure this isn't typical, but it has been my experience.

GMAT official 12th edition:

Great to begin with, but almost useless if you want a 700+ score. Begin your studying here, but the GMAT is MUCH harder and if you want a high score it just isn't sufficient study material.

GMAT official quantitative review

Same as above. Almost useless if you want a high score. It's a good beginning but it will only make you cocky. The real GMAT is much much much harder.

Practice tests:

GMATPREP is indispensable as both a practice test and study aid. Use it until you score well above your desired outcome.

MGMAT is also indispensable. They have put a lot of thought into their tests and they are only second best to GMATPREP.
Great feedback. Congrats!

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700

by prachich1987 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:18 am
Hey congrats!
Is it worth taking MGMAT CATs twice?