Experts pls help...tricky one !

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Experts pls help...tricky one !

by himu » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:22 pm
A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to over 3.5 billion people, about equivalent to the residents of all the other areas of the world combined.

equivalent to the residents of

the equivalent of those residing in

equal to those who reside in

as many as the residents of

as many as reside in

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:06 pm
E is the right choice why?
we are comparing number of people in asia to number of people in other parts of the world, thus the use of "residents of" is wrong because the rest of the sentence doesnt use residents but uses 3.5 billion people. moreover, remembr "equivalent to" means equal value and thus does not cnvery the intended meaning. thus A, B and D are out.
C is wrong because it says 3.5 billion people equal to THOSE (what those people?), people themselves arnt equal, its the Number of people which is equal
E is the right coice, u can write this statement as "About as many People as reside in all the other areas of the world. now this statement rightly compares the number of people.
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:46 am
To sana
Sana.noor quote :we are comparing number of people in asia to number of people in other parts of the world, thus the use of "residents of" is wrong because the rest of the sentence doesnt use residents but uses 3.5 billion people
what makes u assume that if something is not mentioned then its considered wrong !!

the fact is E present a perfect parallelism

the Asian continent is home to over 3.5 billion people,about as many as reside in

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:16 am
I posted an explanation for a very similar SC here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/carnegie-fou ... 07521.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:26 am
to aditya:
I am not assuming anything, its a matter of common sence that we are comparing number of people not residents. resident is a noun, this question compares number of people in one region to the number of people in other region. the first half of the sentecne using number of people and "residents of" cannot stand parallel to it. its wrong.
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Shalini Suresh » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:02 am
himu wrote:A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to over 3.5 billion people, about equivalent to the residents of all the other areas of the world combined.

as many as reside in

Hi Himu .
Is the answer D ?

Whats the OA ?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by beatthe800 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:59 am
A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to over 3.5 billion people, about equivalent to the residents of all the other areas of the world combined.

as many as reside in

OA is E

by conquistador » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:18 am
himu wrote:A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to over 3.5 billion people, about equivalent to the residents of all the other areas of the world combined.

A. equivalent to the residents of
B. the equivalent of those residing in
C. equal to those who reside in
D. as many as the residents of
E. as many as reside in
mikemcgarry wrote:
The modifying clause that appears after the word "about" touches the word "people" and therefore should modify "people".

The word "equivalent" is a word for talking about qualitative relationships ----
Among American WWII general there was no equivalent to Pershing, the supreme Allied commander in WWI.
The word "equivalent" is not appropriate for numerical relationships --- 2 + 3 is NOT "equivalent" to 5 --- rather, 2 + 3 EQUALS 5. Do not use "equivalent" for numbers. Choices (A) & (B) are trainwreck wrong.

The problem with (C) is more subtle. Technically, the "people" in Asia are not "equal" to anything --- rather, the number of people in Asia is equal to something. As it stands, (C) is illogical and wrong. We could correct version (C) by writing ....

... to over 3.5 billion people, a number about equal to those who reside in ....

This is now grammatically & logically correct, but it's very indirect and wordy, so even this probably would not be correct on the GMAT SC.

I want to add something coming to options D and E.
people reside in means they live in, occupy or inhabit
residents of-means that "A person who lives somewhere permanently or on a long-term basis"( as per Oxford dic)

sample sentences
Citizens or permanent residents of other countries must have a valid passport and/or a valid visitor's visa.
The majority of the permanent residents are retired 'incomers' devoted to growing their own vegetables and etching.
Only four of the 10 houses on the street are now owned by long-term residents.

And this sentence compares the population(people who currently stay in) of Asian continent and that of other areas of the world combined.
So E is preferred.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :-D

by conquistador » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:19 am

A. equivalent to the residents of
B. the equivalent of those residing in
C. equal to those who reside in
D. as many as the residents of
E. as many as reside in
mikemcgarry wrote:The modifying clause that appears after the word "about" touches the word "people" and therefore should modify "people".

The word "equivalent" is a word for talking about qualitative relationships ----
Among American WWII general there was no equivalent to Pershing, the supreme Allied commander in WWI.
The word "equivalent" is not appropriate for numerical relationships --- 2 + 3 is NOT "equivalent" to 5 --- rather, 2 + 3 EQUALS 5. Do not use "equivalent" for numbers. Choices (A) & (B) are trainwreck wrong.

The problem with (C) is more subtle. Technically, the "people" in Asia are not "equal" to anything --- rather, the number of people in Asia is equal to something. As it stands, (C) is illogical and wrong. We could correct version (C) by writing ....

... to over 3.5 billion people, a number about equal to those who reside in ....

This is now grammatically & logically correct, but it's very indirect and wordy, so even this probably would not be correct on the GMAT SC.

I want to add something coming to options D and E.
people reside in means they live in, occupy or inhabit
residents of-means that "A person who lives somewhere permanently or on a long-term basis"( as per Oxford dic)

sample sentences
Citizens or permanent residents of other countries must have a valid passport and/or a valid visitor's visa.
The majority of the permanent residents are retired 'incomers' devoted to growing their own vegetables and etching.
Only four of the 10 houses on the street are now owned by long-term residents.

And this sentence compares the population(people who currently stay in) of Asian continent and that of other areas of the world combined.
So E is preferred.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :-D