Europeans have long known that eating

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:21 pm
GMATMadeEasy wrote:@ Atulmangal : Can you mention in both the cases below where do you see SUbject Verb agreemlnt or you wrote this in haste ? Certinaly, this is somethiung you dont want :) ..

quail eating will sometimes make .. where do you see S-V agreement in this ?

@GMATMadeEasy

Quail Eating...will make....bla bla bla

Can't we say that Eating is the Gerund NOUN (subject) and Quail is acting as adjective describing WHAT Eating...please suggest...

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:23 pm
atulmangal wrote:
GMATMadeEasy wrote:@ Atulmangal : Can you mention in both the cases below where do you see SUbject Verb agreemlnt or you wrote this in haste ? Certinaly, this is somethiung you dont want :) ..

quail eating will sometimes make .. where do you see S-V agreement in this ?

@GMATMadeEasy

Quail Eating...will make....bla bla bla

Can't we say that Eating is the Gerund NOUN (subject) and Quail is acting as adjective describing WHAT Eating...please correct me if m wrong...

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:26 am
Hi Guys,

Correct answer given is D :-(........... Source is 1000 SC

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:41 am
aspirant2011 wrote:Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes the eater ill, but only recently has it been established that the illness is caused by a toxin present in the quail's body only under certain conditions.

(A) Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes
(B) Europeans have long known quail eating is sometimes able to make
(C) Eating quail has long been known to Europeans to sometimes make
(D) It has long been known to Europeans that quail eating will sometimes make
(E) It has long been known to Europeans that quail, when it is eaten, has sometimes made

[spoiler]OA: After some discussion. Kindly discuss each answer choice.[/spoiler]
If the OA is not A, don't worry about this question.

In B and D, the meaning of the phrase quail eating is unclear. Are the quail eating or being eaten? Eliminate B and D.

In C, eating quail has long been known to Europeans does not convey the intended meaning of the sentence. What has long been known is not the eating but the result of the eating: that the eater can become ill. Eliminate C.

In E, has made should be in the simple present tense to match the simple present tense verb is. Also, the words it is are unnecessary. The sentence should read:

that quail, when eaten, sometimes makes...

Eliminate E.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:660

by chendawg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:51 am
More reasons why one should study from trusted sources.......
I'm not bipolar...I'm bi-winning!!

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:08 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
aspirant2011 wrote:Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes the eater ill, but only recently has it been established that the illness is caused by a toxin present in the quail's body only under certain conditions.

(A) Europeans have long known that eating quail sometimes makes
(B) Europeans have long known quail eating is sometimes able to make
(C) Eating quail has long been known to Europeans to sometimes make
(D) It has long been known to Europeans that quail eating will sometimes make
(E) It has long been known to Europeans that quail, when it is eaten, has sometimes made

[spoiler]OA: After some discussion. Kindly discuss each answer choice.[/spoiler]
Thanks Mitch for the correction in OA

If the OA is not A, don't worry about this question.

In B and D, the meaning of the phrase quail eating is unclear. Are the quail eating or being eaten? Eliminate B and D.

In C, eating quail has long been known to Europeans does not convey the intended meaning of the sentence. What has long been known is not the eating but the result of the eating: that the eater can become ill. Eliminate C.

In E, has made should be in the simple present tense to match the simple present tense verb is. Also, the words it is are unnecessary. The sentence should read:

that quail, when eaten, sometimes makes...

Eliminate E.

The correct answer is A.