computer memory chips

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

computer memory chips

by msbelasco » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:20 am
Can someone please explain this one to me? Also, I am having so much trouble with apostrophes and when and when not to use them. I thought apostrophes were only used with living things. Thanks for any help.

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips' circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.

(A) the chips' circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have

(B) the chips' circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has

(C) the chips' circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has

(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have

(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have

by kanwar86 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
I will go with E). Kindly post the OA
Regards

Kanwar

"In case my post helped, do care to thank. Happy learning :)"

by msbelasco » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:46 am
The answer is actually B I got it wrong as well.

by kanwar86 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
I don't really know how E) is wrong. The possessive pronoun 'their' is referring to computer memory chips (so, no ambiguity). In fact, adding chips' circuits sounds too verbose and awkward (though not wrong).
Regards

Kanwar

"In case my post helped, do care to thank. Happy learning :)"

Community Manager
Followed by:52 members

by neelgandham » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:10 am
Kanwar - Answer choice E cannot be correct and here is the reason.

Which of the following sentences if correct ?
Power of Anil's machine and Kanwar's machine HAS increased.
Power of Anil's machine and Kanwar's machine HAVE increased.

If you choose the former, then you question is answered.
So, A,D,E can be eliminated.

Between B and C, C is incorrect because 'are' shouldn't be used(Not really sure of the rule but ..)
Anil Gandham
Welcome to BEATtheGMAT | Photography | Getting Started | BTG Community rules | MBA Watch
Check out GMAT Prep Now's online course at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by ankit0411 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:42 am
msbelasco wrote:Can someone please explain this one to me? Also, I am having so much trouble with apostrophes and when and when not to use them. I thought apostrophes were only used with living things. Thanks for any help.

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips' circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.

(A) the chips' circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have

(B) the chips' circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has

(C) the chips' circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has

(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have

(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
I go with B
Don't predict future , create it !

Followed by:4 members

by ankit0411 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:45 am
neelgandham wrote:Kanwar - Answer choice E cannot be correct and here is the reason.

Which of the following sentences if correct ?
Power of Anil's machine and Kanwar's machine HAS increased.
Power of Anil's machine and Kanwar's machine HAVE increased.

If you choose the former, then you question is answered.
So, A,D,E can be eliminated.

Between B and C, C is incorrect because 'are' shouldn't be used(Not really sure of the rule but ..)
are actually makes it redundant, that's what I think.
Don't predict future , create it !

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by GauravSaharan » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:02 am
Adding "are" into the sentence removes the parallelism. Hence B) is the correct option [spoiler][/spoiler]

by shekhar.kataria » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:42 pm
C and D , use of are is wrong.

The sentence in its correct form means Both the power of the chips and devices both have increased. This is not what the author intends to say. There you need to restructure to make it logical to say that the
POWER OF BOTH THE CHIPS AND DEVICES HAS INCREASED. Eliminate A and E.

msbelasco wrote:Can someone please explain this one to me? Also, I am having so much trouble with apostrophes and when and when not to use them. I thought apostrophes were only used with living things. Thanks for any help.

Restlessness and discontent are the first necessities of progress.--Thomas A. Edison

If you find this post helpful, let me know by clicking thanks above :-)

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:39 pm
the answer choice "B" is the right answer..its not "both the power of chips and electronics"
we use to say "The Power of both a and b has"
both should be as close to the word that it modifies as possible....A and C are not parallel whereas D and E have ambiguous referents.
(A) the chips' circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have (wrong)

(B) the chips' circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has (right)

(C) the chips' circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has (wrong)

(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have (wrong as "the power" should go with "has"

(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have (wrong)
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)