Columbia Business School 2011 Applicants

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by levinkl » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:28 am
No problem Liz. I hope it was helpful. I thought it went well, but now I am starting to worry since it is week two and I haven't heard back yet. I hope they can't see how often I check my application status because they are going to think I am crazy :)

Good luck on your interview tomorrow. I wouldn't worry too much about being in different industries. I am finance and my interviewer was IT, but it didn't seem to hinder the conversation. I imagine you will spend most of the time on broader topics related to Columbia than anything singularly related to Finance. Don't hesitate to mention specific finance related courses you are interested in because even thought the interviewer might not be familiar with them, it shows that you've done research on Columbia's programs. When it comes to your future career goals and why, the interviewer might not ask too many follow-up questions if they have no idea what the role are describing is, but that shouldn't be counted against you. I think they care more about you demonstrating that you have a clear path in mind.

My interview lasted exactly an hour because it was during the business day and he had a conference call scheduled after. I get the feeling that most are around an hour, but I wouldn't obsess over a little more or less.

I would recommend you prepare questions for them too. I think broad and "experience" based ones are best - "What was your favorite aspect of XYZ" or "What was your most impactful experience". They obviously had a good experience or they wouldn't be volunteering to interview and everyone likes talking about themselves.

I think this is posted on every site/article about interviewing but show up early and bring extra copies of your resume!

Good Luck!!

by Elizabethlo1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:38 pm
levinkl wrote:No problem Liz. I hope it was helpful. I thought it went well, but now I am starting to worry since it is week two and I haven't heard back yet. I hope they can't see how often I check my application status because they are going to think I am crazy :)

Good luck on your interview tomorrow. I wouldn't worry too much about being in different industries. I am finance and my interviewer was IT, but it didn't seem to hinder the conversation. I imagine you will spend most of the time on broader topics related to Columbia than anything singularly related to Finance. Don't hesitate to mention specific finance related courses you are interested in because even thought the interviewer might not be familiar with them, it shows that you've done research on Columbia's programs. When it comes to your future career goals and why, the interviewer might not ask too many follow-up questions if they have no idea what the role are describing is, but that shouldn't be counted against you. I think they care more about you demonstrating that you have a clear path in mind.

My interview lasted exactly an hour because it was during the business day and he had a conference call scheduled after. I get the feeling that most are around an hour, but I wouldn't obsess over a little more or less.

I would recommend you prepare questions for them too. I think broad and "experience" based ones are best - "What was your favorite aspect of XYZ" or "What was your most impactful experience". They obviously had a good experience or they wouldn't be volunteering to interview and everyone likes talking about themselves.

I think this is posted on every site/article about interviewing but show up early and bring extra copies of your resume!

Good Luck!!
Thank you so much for your help! I just came back from my interview and it went pretty well!!! I hope i get an offer from them soon!! I will be checking the system 100000 times a day and constantly checking my phone too!!!

Good luck to others out there!

by levinkl » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:37 pm
Had to share the good news - I just got the call :)
10 days was a life time but I am thrilled to be admitted!!

by Elizabethlo1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:50 pm
levinkl wrote:Had to share the good news - I just got the call :)
10 days was a life time but I am thrilled to be admitted!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! So it really took 10 days? This is only my first day... :(
I am so happy for you! Hopefully i will share the same good news with you soon!!! WELL DONEEEE!!!!!

by Elizabethlo1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:58 am
Unfortunately i heard back from the adcom today and my application was denied. I really want to know why as i thought the interview went pretty okay. Is there anyone with any suggestion as to what i can do to change this decision? I am really really really bummed out and CBS is absolutely my first choice! Would letter of recommendation from alumni do anything at all?

Sighhh

by Scott2010 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:08 am
With Columbia's rolling admissions process, what percent of the class do you think is filled already?

I was not prepared to apply until now, and am wondering if it would be much worse than applying to R3 NYU or R4 Cal?

by levinkl » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:02 am
I am so sorry for hear that Liz. I am no expert, but it sounded like the decisions were final. You could always reapply early decision next year - I heard they really like re-applicants because it shows that you are committed. Also - did you use a consultant? If you decide to re-apply, I would highly recommend Eliot from Clear Admit. He was amazing - my applications was 100% better with his help. They don't do the work for you by any means but they help you put your best foot forward.

by Elizabethlo1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:11 pm
levinkl wrote:I am so sorry for hear that Liz. I am no expert, but it sounded like the decisions were final. You could always reapply early decision next year - I heard they really like re-applicants because it shows that you are committed. Also - did you use a consultant? If you decide to re-apply, I would highly recommend Eliot from Clear Admit. He was amazing - my applications was 100% better with his help. They don't do the work for you by any means but they help you put your best foot forward.
No worries! I actually had Deena from clear admit to help me too! I guess everything else were fine (essays, rec letters and GMAT), maybe I messed up the interview :(
Maybe i will apply for Jan entry 2012! Keep you updated and enjoy CBS!

by levinkl » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:33 pm
Thank you for your warm wishes. Best of luck - keep me posted!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by yane619 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:30 pm
Does anyone know when you should expect to hear back for ED? If I have not heard back as of yet, should I assume the worst?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by yane619 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:31 pm
Does anyone know when you should expect to hear back for ED? If I have not heard back as of yet, should I assume the worst?

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:39 pm
No no no, yane619 - there is still plenty of time for ED candidates!!

Here's a post we wrote recently detailing the process at Columbia, since it's so different from how it works at other schools:

https://essaysnark.blocked/2011/10/ ... -from.html

In past years, we've had clients get interview invites all through November, and final decisions on both ED and even J-Term in the early weeks of December.

There is absolutely still time for a Columbia app. If you haven't heard yet, that's actually a stronger sign than if you had - they more frequently will do a quick rejection if they know they're not interested.

The rolling process is probably the most stressful of all - you'd think it would be all positive, since you find out (relatively) quickly (at least compared to most other schools) but it's absolutely nerve-wracking to go through the day-by-day wait. It feels like a purgatory - we know, we've got plenty of clients in the waiting room with you!

Don't give up! And do let us know as soon as there's movement. :-)

EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!