City Council

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by navami » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:30 am
need a better explaination. Can someone help? IMO A.
This time no looking back!!!
Navami

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:47 pm
Here's a better explanation:

Do not contemplate over the tern "SCOPE SHIFT", our job here is to find an answer and not to understand various terms.

Now the explanation:
Argument is the city council members will CERTAINLY pass the plan because it benefits those people from whom city council members receive campaign contributions.
Now we have to weaken this argument,

A- incorrect, most of campaign contributions are still received from real estate developers
B- irrelevant
C- incorrect
D- CORRECT, because it says that members of council OFTEN vote against interests the campaign contributors, so we CANNOT say that members will vote CERTAINLY vote for campaign contributors
E- irrelevant
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by sandeep800 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:24 am
IMO D
A body of clay, a mind full of play, a moment's life - that is me!!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:16 am
IMO D
a) most of the contributions are still received from real estate people
b)irrelevant
c)but still many people from real estate can participate and gain
d) weakens
e) irrelevant
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:27 members

by LIL » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:21 am
The city council will certainly vote to approve the new downtown redevelopment plan
^ This is the conclusion.
After all, most of the campaign contributions received by members of the city council come from real estate development firms, which stand to benefit from the plan.
This is an argument in favor of the conclusion. We are trying to weaken this, as evidenced by:
Which of the following statements, if true, would most weaken the argument above?
A is incorrect because it simply states that the members of the council receive sizable contributions from environmental groups. This doesn't weaken the argument--that the council will vote one way because of the contributions of one group--it merely introduces another group and its contributions. Plus, it's possible for an environmentalist group to give a decent amount of money that is still less than what the development firms give.

D is correct, because it is weakening the argument. The argument is that the council will vote one way, BECAUSE IT GETS ITS MONEY FROM CERTAIN PEOPLE. D says the council doesn't care where it gets its money, and that it often votes against the people it gets money from. So yeah, argument = shot down.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:53 am
bleacherseat wrote:The city council will certainly vote to approve the new downtown redevelopment plan, despite the objections of environmentalists. After all, most of the campaign contributions received by members of the city council come from real estate development firms, which stand to benefit from the plan.

Which of the following statements, if true, would most weaken the argument above?

(A) Several members of the city council receive sizable campaign contributions from environmental lobbying groups.
(B) Members of the city council are required to report the size and source of each campaign contribution they receive.
(C) Not every real estate development firm in the city will be able to participate in, and profit from, the new downtown redevelopment plan.
(D) The members of the city council have often voted in ways that are opposed to the interests of their campaign contributors.
(E) Some environmentalists have stated that the new downtown redevelopment plan might be environmentally sound if certain minor modifications are made.
Learn to recognize the common flaws.
This argument exhibits a language shift.

The premise is about campaign contributions.
The conclusion is about voting for the redevelopment plan.
This is a language shift: the premise is about campaign contributions, the conclusion is about voting.

The argument assumes that these two ideas are connected: that campaign contributions determine how the committee votes.

The correct answer choice will break the link between these two ideas: it will show that campaign contributions DO NOT determine how the committee votes.

Answer choice D does just what we need: The members of the city council have often voted in ways that are opposed to the interests of their campaign contributors.

The correct answer is D.

For those who chose answer choice A:
Beware the word several. How many is several? The argument states that most of the contributions come from real estate development firms. If a few members receive money from environmental lobbying groups, the argument is not affected: most of the contributions would still be coming from the real estate firms.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by navami » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:31 pm
Thanks Mitch!!! Thanks everyone.
This time no looking back!!!
Navami