Ask Jyothi how she got into ISB

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680

by hitmis » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:30 am
Hi Jyothi,

How was your interview experience with ISB?

As the class size has kept increasing, have you felt the facilities kept up at ISB? Also did you feel like a drop in the ocean on campus or how connected did it feel?

Do older than 8 yr experience candidates get through to ISB PGP program and how beneficial do you believe it is to them? (Career services, peer classroom experience, etc.)

Thanks

MBA Student
Followed by:22 members

by fibbonnaci » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:00 am
@varunmehta:

ISB is visited by a few reputed investment banks such as JP, Goldman Sachs. The shift is a little difficult considering heavy competition from Finance and CA guys. However, if you pursue courses like CFA and are good in your subject, I dont see a reason why the shift should be difficult for you. I am not too keen on the finance sector and hence dont know what kind of roles are offered for finance sector jobs.

Career switching would not be considered negative because more than half the class changes industry and function post MBA. A cursory glance in the placement statistics will show a more than 50% of the students changing industry post ISB. It is very natural for a person to do so when he/she is exposed to a multitude of option that didnt exist before. ISB is very much aware of this change and does not view it in negative. In your essays, however, you need to mention your logic and reasoning behind the switch. that would make the admission committee understand your vision and goals. A clearly defined reasoning behind the switch will work positive than negative with the adcom.

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

by arora007 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:00 am
fibbonnaci wrote:Hi all, Thanks for those wonderful questions. I will answer each one separately.

@ The Jock- I want to venture out after ISB. My venture deals with indian fashion designers and traditional artisans. I wanted an Indian centric course focus with an International appeal. ISB was the only school that fit my bill. Also, as you mentioned, monetary benefits were an added plus. My Post MBA goal played a key role in selecting ISB as my choice of top B school
Hi Jyothi, firstly congratulations on getting admitted to one of the best MBA programmes in the world.

My first question is was ISB the only B-School you were applying to?

Secondly, How do you prove urself Best-Fit for the programme? Say for example if you were admitted to NUS or HKU, you would not lose on the International appeal infact gain perhaps a bigger network in terms of international clients and play a bigger role in promoting the traditional artisans. And yet monetarily be investing evenly as you shall be with ISB.
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rajesh629 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:07 am
hi jyothi,

my academic background is not so grt.. like all my percentages are in mid 60's.... and ISB asks for a stong acads which i do not have.. can a good gmat score will balance this?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by [email protected] » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:26 am
Hello Mam,
First of all congratulations..

I am very much new to GMAT prep. My preparation mode is self.I am strictly aiming for ISB,Hyderabad as I am not financially capable for foreign institutes & don't have enough experience for IIM's.
Have experience in Technical support from IBM (14 months) & 1 year in a metal manufacturing industry as an assistant manager(currently working). Completed Engg. degree in ET&T ( 67.5%).So overall my academics were in 60's. Please let me know how will I achieve the ISB goal.What should be my approach,score required,extra curricular activities,cutting edge,main focus points to achieve my goal.

Thanks in advance.

by [email protected] » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:05 am
How much does the GMAT writing score matter w.r.t getting admitted @ ISB?

by [email protected] » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:07 am
Please share your experience w.r.t the ISB interview process?

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by adi_800 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:00 pm
mbaroadie wrote:Jyothi,

1) Looking at your background and career goals, I wonder whether you had also applied to IIPM?

2) How did you manage to get your recommendations? Did you write yourself on behalf of your recommenders?

3) Did you claim to have community work experience to ISB? What would you suggest to a ISB applicant who has never done community/social work and will never do also in future?

4) I read that ISB offers international exposure. Apart from having global faculty and international students at campus, what does ISB offers?

5) If the applicant has an engineering background but to be prepared for b-school, he/she enrolls into some business management courses such as CABM. Does it help immensely to his/her candidature?
I just wanted to add a point about IIPM..
IIPM caption is Think beyond IIMs...that itself is a joke...
:)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by chocoswiss » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:55 am
Hi All,

Great questions! I'm still waiting for my interview call (If i do get a call)
I missed the live event on 16th and wondering if there is an archive of the web tv/chat?

cheers

by vamsi_567 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:00 am
The recorded version is available on BTG homepage...you can check it out..:-)
chocoswiss wrote:Hi All,

Great questions! I'm still waiting for my interview call (If i do get a call)
I missed the live event on 16th and wondering if there is an archive of the web tv/chat?

cheers

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:43 am
Also, here is the URL to the video: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/12/ ... -interview

Thanks everyone for the great questions, and thanks Jyothi for the awesome answers! :)
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by chocoswiss » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:22 pm
Thanks Eric for organising!

MBA Student
Followed by:22 members

by fibbonnaci » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:53 pm
Hi [email protected]

ISB admission looks into some 28 parameters in an application. They can be broadly divided into Academics, Work Experience, Extra Curriculars, Analytical Skills. If you can show your strength in any 3 of the above categories, that will work positive for you. Identify which areas you are strong in, which areas you have the choice to improve and work on them. Good Luck!

GMAT Score:620

by rajasekharp » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:12 pm
Hi Jyothi

I appreciate your single minded focus towards ISB and getting into it.

I have a simple questions (hope they are) and more relevant to you, as your a entrepreneur turned out to be a MBA student.

My understanding you got into entrepreneurship and started your own business, observing the ups and downs in your own business, you felt you need to have better knowledge on things your trying to do. Am i right ?

what kind of value addition you get by taking up such a course compared to starting up a business on your own; which you tried before ?
How does entrepreneurship program vary with different schools ? (with respect to knowledge)

I understand your a telugu gal (from your slang "anduu" at times ) :) even i use it at times and good to hear you.

Raja

by [email protected] » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:34 am
Thanks a lot mam. Suggestion is much appreciated.