Ask GyanOne:Indian applicants for global top 30 MBA programs

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
zozoo wrote:Hi GyanOne,

I like the detailed Profile evaluations you have posted earlier in this thread. I am Indian Female with GMAT 680. Other attempts:
1. Nov 2011: 600
2. Nov 2012: 680
3. Sept 2014: Decreased my score, so cancelled.

Can you please evaluate my Profile: https://www.beatthegmat.com/profile-eva ... 77022.html

Thanks!!
Hi zoozoo,

Thanks for posting. Here is our take on your profile:

Academics and analytical skills: Your GPA is certainly solid, and that too from the prestigious BITS Pilani (was this the Pilani campus or one of the others?). The fact that you have a dual degree does help, and so does your MS in Information Systems. The overall GMAT score could be higher, but we guess you have already gone that route. With 680 too, there are many options that remain open and very much viable for you.

Work ex: For the most part, this seems good. Some questions to answer will be around whether your role was only around development or whether you were also involved in product planning or client management at some level. On the career break, it can be explained on your application, but you should also lay focus on when you are planning to return to work and what it means for your career. The break should come across as an unintentional gap that you could not help (as is the case), not prolonged time off which made you instead consider moving away from your job (as could be wrongly perceived.

ECA : The dance achievements matter significantly. The other ones are fine too, but they will matter much less.

On your other questions:
1. Budget constraints: You have noted that you are increasing your overall budget, and we strongly urge you to do that. At 55-58k, there will be few schools you will be able to target in the US and European region. In Asia, of course, there are a number of schools you could look at within that budget.
2. Undergrad Econ major: This will help as noted above, but a definite stance on that can be taken once your profile is analyzed in more detail (around the projects you have done, your work responsibilities etc), and what you wish to leverage your MBA for.

Here are some links that you might find helpful. Some of them were written with the Indian IT Male in mind, but most of the information is also applicable to women candidates:

Indian IT candidates: preparing to apply to an MBA
Indian IT MBA applicants: choosing the right schools
Essay tips for Indian IT MBA applicants

Also here is a success story of a similar applicant who made it to a top MBA program:
Indian IT Female gets into a top MBA program

All the best and do feel free to come back with further queries

Legendary Member

by GyanOne » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:22 am
chicagodreams wrote:Need your help in selecting b schools. Iam looking for schools with good reputation in general management and international business and also a flexible curriculum. Booth is my dream school,so i would like to know if i stand any chances. Below is my profile

GMAT-760
Undergrad-Non IIT (SRM University) 8.6/10,Electronics & Comunication Engg

Work Ex -15 months till date (IT)
- replaced a senior devloper with added responsibility for offshore deliverables which is usually not given to freshers/trainees.
- appreciations from delivery managers and the Director (Business Insurance It - Travellers)

Leadership

-Organised events at National Level Tech Fests
-Voluntarily organised a 5 day industrial visit for 45-students
-Member of organising committees at various college events
-Co-ordinator for dance events at workplace
- Class Representative for a batch of 40 trainees
Miscellaneous
- Avid dancer,Choreographed dance acts at school,college and workplace
- Amateur astrologer and tarot card reader
- Won several competitions in debate,essay and drawing competitions at school level
- Represented school at the International Convention on Students Quality Control Circles
- Participant at Fashion shows

Apart from the above i am also involved with a startup. I handle marketing and business strategy.

Thank you :)
Hi chicagodreams,

Congrats on achieving a great GMAT score. You also have a solid GPA to speak for you, although you are at the lower end of the work-experience spectrum.

As far as a flexible curriculum goes, all schools follow that model. You will typically have mandatory courses as part of the course terms followed by electives. All schools will offer you concentrations or majors in certain areas (Finance, Marketing, and Operations, although nowadays industry-specific majors like Healthcare and Consulting are also being offered) while most will allow you to choose courses that do not add up towards any specific major. In that case you end up with a general management MBA.

In terms of schools that are strong in international business, HBS, Wharton, LBS, INSEAD, IMD, and Kellogg generally lead the pack. Strong general management schools are, in addition to these, Booth, Darden, Tuck, Ross, and Duke. These lists are of course not exhaustive.

You come from the competitive IT pool and your overall quantum of work ex is low. ECA is decent, though not outstanding. Will need more details around the startup part to comment more there.

Send us more details of your profile (you can also email them to us directly) so we can help you select the right schools for your specifically.

Legendary Member

MBA Application Mistakes

by GyanOne » Sat May 02, 2015 5:59 am
MBA Application Mistakes - 5 of the worst things to avoid

Some of the worst mistakes are unintentional ones. More so when one speaks of MBA Application mistakes. For sure, everyone wants to seem the best that they can on each MBA application. However, in trying to improve things, a lack of understanding can sometimes lead to worsening them. In our effort to help MBA applicants understand the applications landscape better, we present here a list of commonly made MBA application mistakes. This list is certainly not exhaustive, but these are some very common mistakes nevertheless, and also things that we regularly advise our clients against doing. The mistakes listed here are not in any order of importance - each is equally important to understand and avoid.

MBA Application Mistakes
Last edited by GyanOne on Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by puneetjain18 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:38 pm
Hi,

I recently wrote the GMAT and scored a 680(Q48, V35). My background is as below

34/M/Indian

10 years work ex. Past 6 yrs with Accenture Management Consulting. One of the top performers. Main focus area is oil and gas.

Mechanical Engineer and have an MBA from tier 2 college in India.

MBA%- 62
BE%-65

Social contributions: have been active within Accenture in social initiatives. Apart from that, I have done some more voluntary work in the past but nothing greatly significant.

International experience- Worked around 1year in Australia and 6 months in Thailand

Team handling: Managed 6 resources in Australia. Currently handling 3 consultants.

Leadership:

1. I had set up an entire Analytics centre of excellence for a client based out of Australia. I had 6 resources working under me. I was then given the additional task of strategic sourcing for the client.

2. Currently I am managing a team of 3 consultants to work on a strategic project for a French client. I have been instrumental in providing the client with strategic recommendations related to the oil and gas industry.

I am looking for 1yr MBA from Insead, IESE, HEC etc. Can you suggest my chances?

Legendary Member

by GyanOne » Tue May 05, 2015 8:45 am
puneetjain18 wrote:Hi,

I recently wrote the GMAT and scored a 680(Q48, V35). My background is as below

34/M/Indian

10 years work ex. Past 6 yrs with Accenture Management Consulting. One of the top performers. Main focus area is oil and gas.

Mechanical Engineer and have an MBA from tier 2 college in India.

MBA%- 62
BE%-65

Social contributions: have been active within Accenture in social initiatives. Apart from that, I have done some more voluntary work in the past but nothing greatly significant.

International experience- Worked around 1year in Australia and 6 months in Thailand

Team handling: Managed 6 resources in Australia. Currently handling 3 consultants.

Leadership:

1. I had set up an entire Analytics centre of excellence for a client based out of Australia. I had 6 resources working under me. I was then given the additional task of strategic sourcing for the client.

2. Currently I am managing a team of 3 consultants to work on a strategic project for a French client. I have been instrumental in providing the client with strategic recommendations related to the oil and gas industry.

I am looking for 1yr MBA from Insead, IESE, HEC etc. Can you suggest my chances?
Hi Puneet,

Your overall profile is pretty decent, and you definitely have some noteworthy leadership experiences as well. Professional achievements are good as well. The higher than average work experience (10 years) is a slight concern but nothing major. In terms of academics and scores, you are just about ok, with a 680 and college/post grad scores that are about average. You will also of course need to explain the need for a second MBA, but that is less of an issue with European institutions (more with some top US schools).

Your overall achievements will translate into excellent chances at IESE as well as at HEC. For INSEAD, your chances are medium to low and you will need to aim for a higher GMAT score to shore up on the scores front (Indian applicant scores to INSEAD are frequently in excess of 700 so to be competitive in such a pool you do need a higher score).

Feel free to come back with further questions on your profile or this analysis.

Regards,
GyanOne

Legendary Member
MBA Application Mistakes - 5 of the worst things to avoid

Some of the worst mistakes are unintentional ones. More so when one speaks of MBA Application mistakes. For sure, everyone wants to seem the best that they can on each MBA application. However, in trying to improve things, a lack of understanding can sometimes lead to worsening them. In our effort to help MBA applicants understand the applications landscape better, we present here a list of commonly made MBA application mistakes. This list is certainly not exhaustive, but these are some very common mistakes nevertheless, and also things that we regularly advise our clients against doing. The mistakes listed here are not in any order of importance - each is equally important to understand and avoid.

MBA Application Mistakes
Last edited by GyanOne on Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Legendary Member

IIMC PGPEX Placements : Key Trends

by GyanOne » Wed May 13, 2015 3:48 am
IIMC PGPEX Placements : Key Trends

IIM Calcutta or IIMC PGPEX placements are a key area of interest for many potential (and even current) students interested in looking at prospects after the program. The program itself is small - only 50 people in terms of batch size - so the opportunity to attract firms with widely varying roles and offers is anyway limited. In this brief article, we take a look at IIMC PGPEX placements and key trends over the last 2-3 years.

Lateral recruiting expected to dominate - and it does
With a batch strength of 50, and the average experience level hovering around 7.5 years, it is fairly clear that this is a group of experienced executives who are here to hone their skills rather than look for career switches. They will therefore be recruited by firms based on their prior experience and skills more than anything else. Yes, functional changes would happen (for example, people in IT delivery or software development roles might be able to move to business development or project management) but switches that involve both industry and function are expected to be rare.

IIMC PGPEX Placements
Last edited by GyanOne on Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by vipulaggarwal » Fri May 15, 2015 12:08 am
Hi Gyan. Would you help in evaluating the profile below

10th: 86%

12th: 83.4%

GRADUATION
B.Tech. in Computer Science from IP University, Delhi with an aggregate score of 72.6% (First Class)

GMAT: 740

WORK-EX:
Working with Samvardhana Motherson Group (SMG) (World's 5th largest group) for past 2 years as a Software Engineer. Involved in different roles for 2 years. Was a JAVA developer for the first 12 months and worked on a project related to automobile industry wherein we tracked all the activities of major automobile players (like Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen etc.) and their manufacturing plants. In this project I proposed a module which involved scanning of invoices, of which I proposed the algorithm, to potentially reduce the effort at customer's side. This brought a business of 60.2 Million INR to organization. Received Star Performer of the Year award for the initiative taken.
In lieu to this initiative taken, after 1 year in the organization, I was shifted to Business Intelligence Team to use the critical data like revenue; budget etc. of the organization to track down the lacuna's to suggest possible changes to be made for organization's benefit. Working under this team, I proposed the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) which shall mitigate the re-work done in few teams in the organization. Upon review it was implemented in the organization. I inked down the proposed SDLC and got it converted in form of a research paper, published in a prestigious journal.

Total Work-Ex at the time 2016-17 application will be 2 years 8 months.

OVERSEAS EXPERIENCE
Went with project leader and other team members for installation and demo of the project to the client for duration of 3 months in Hungry during my tenure as a JAVA developer in initial 12 months

EXTRA-CURRICULAR
I have categorized extra-curricular into following categories.
Scholastic Achievements:
"¢ Have 5 research papers being the 1st author published in prestigious journals with a high impact factor. For one of the research paper published, was selected as a reviewer at the same journal (Science Alert) where mostly doctorate and post-doctorate professors are selected.
"¢ Was selected to represent my school in a competition of Mathematics and English conducted by University of New South Wales.
"¢ Winner of 3 state awards in technical events conducted at Delhi College of Engineering (DCE). Runner-Up in 4 technical events conducted at Delhi College of Engineering.
Dramatics
"¢ Winner in 1 competition and runner up in other organized in IGIT.
"¢ Played Football at National Level. Represented Delhi and scored a hat trick and helped team to reach semi-finals. Was also adjudicated Man-of-the-tournament by sports head of IIT during an intra-college football tournament in my college.
"¢ Organized literary events during college fests in the year 2011-2012-2013. Recoded higher participation with each successive year.
Debating and Literacy
"¢ Winner of 3 State level debate competitions organized at Delhi College of Engineering.
"¢ Winner of 3 State level extempore competitions organized at Delhi College of Engineering.
"¢ Winner of 3 State level essay competitions organized at Delhi College of Engineering and 1 essay event organized in my college.
"¢ Contributed to college and school magazines and remained an active blooger in my organization monthly newsletter.
Social Initiative
"¢ Involved with an NGO for past 3 years. Working as a treasurer now. During my time I organized events to raise fund for the NGO and used the same money to prevent cow smuggling and prevent slaughtering of cows in the small villages of Haryana.
"¢ A short 3 months internship at AIESEC under the program Iccha, to help slum children identify the basic cause of malaise. Helped them identify major pollutants and areas acting as a breeding ground of mosquitoes. Drafted a survey on the area visited and was adopted as a blue print by the local residents to palliate the waste.
"¢ Worked for 5 months at Children Home, Delhi Government foster home to orphan kids. Provided pedagogy to students and was involved in various teaching drives organized at foster home during those 5 moths.
"¢ Active member of CSR committee of my organization. Awarded for an active role in donation and social drives.

I am targeting kellogg, Yale, ISB, Tepper, Fuqua and Ross. What's your take on the profile ?

Legendary Member
Thinking About Quitting Your Job to Prepare for GMAT? Think Again!

Akshay Singh has five years of good professional experience behind him, and is doing well in his current job. Like many others in his position, Akshay feels that this is the right time for him to pursue an MBA, which will help him not only gain more skills but also seek wider positions within his industry. However, before he can apply to top MBA programs, Akshay needs a GMAT score. Preparing for the GMAT per se is not a problem, but Akshay has little time for the preparation. He often returns home from work well past 9pm, and has little energy left to study then. In the morning, he must leave home again at 8am. Weekends afford some time for studying, but work often spills over to at least a few hours even on weekends, and of course there are family commitments and domestic chores to take off. After accounting for all this, Akshay has very little time left over to devote to studies. He is therefore thinking of quitting his job to prepare for his GMAT.

Quit Job for GMAT
Last edited by GyanOne on Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jugglerG2 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:18 am
Hi Team GyanOne,

I would like to request you to evaluate my profile for top 20 MBA programs in US and other top programs in Europe (INSEAD, IMD, IESE) for class matriculating 2016.

GMAT: 740(Q50, V40, IR8)

Education:

High School (10th) - 73%
Higher Secondary (12th) - 72%
Bachelor of Engineering - 73%

Extra Curricular:
1. Participated in Regional Cricket and Volleyball competitions representing our school.
2. Write poems but unpublished.

Professional Experience:

Total Experience: Over 9 Years by the March '16.

Worked in:

1. L&T Infotech Ltd., Mumbai (2.5 Years)
-> Lead a team of 6
-> Awarded with Star Performer Award for Leadership

2. TCS Ltd., Mumbai (3.3 Years)
-> Lead a team of 10
-> Awarded with On The Spot award for quick issue resolution.

3. Nucleus Software Pte Ltd., Singapore (6 Months)
->Worked on improving existing processes but do not have any written proof for the same.

4. HCL Singapore Pte Ltd., Singapore (By March '16 it will be approx 2 years as I have no plan of changing job again till I get into business school :) )

Can you please suggest if my profile will be able to draw attention of top 20 business schools. If not, what all schools should I aim for? I am highly inclined towards Strategic Consulting post MBA and have read that Michigan Ross and Emory Goizueta are good schools for people who are willing to get into Consulting post MBA.

Thanks in advance.

- Jitendra

Legendary Member

by GyanOne » Tue May 19, 2015 1:43 am
<Duplicate post>. Pl see the next post.
Last edited by GyanOne on Tue May 19, 2015 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

by GyanOne » Tue May 19, 2015 1:45 am
vipulaggarwal wrote:Hi Gyan. Would you help in evaluating the profile below

10th: 86%

12th: 83.4%

GRADUATION
B.Tech. in Computer Science from IP University, Delhi with an aggregate score of 72.6% (First Class)

GMAT: 740

WORK-EX:
Working with Samvardhana Motherson Group (SMG) (World's 5th largest group) for past 2 years as a Software Engineer. Involved in different roles for 2 years. Was a JAVA developer for the first 12 months and worked on a project related to automobile industry wherein we tracked all the activities of major automobile players (like Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen etc.) and their manufacturing plants. In this project I proposed a module which involved scanning of invoices, of which I proposed the algorithm, to potentially reduce the effort at customer's side. This brought a business of 60.2 Million INR to organization. Received Star Performer of the Year award for the initiative taken.
In lieu to this initiative taken, after 1 year in the organization, I was shifted to Business Intelligence Team to use the critical data like revenue; budget etc. of the organization to track down the lacuna's to suggest possible changes to be made for organization's benefit. Working under this team, I proposed the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) which shall mitigate the re-work done in few teams in the organization. Upon review it was implemented in the organization. I inked down the proposed SDLC and got it converted in form of a research paper, published in a prestigious journal.

Total Work-Ex at the time 2016-17 application will be 2 years 8 months.

OVERSEAS EXPERIENCE
Went with project leader and other team members for installation and demo of the project to the client for duration of 3 months in Hungry during my tenure as a JAVA developer in initial 12 months

EXTRA-CURRICULAR
I have categorized extra-curricular into following categories.
Scholastic Achievements:
"¢ Have 5 research papers being the 1st author published in prestigious journals with a high impact factor. For one of the research paper published, was selected as a reviewer at the same journal (Science Alert) where mostly doctorate and post-doctorate professors are selected.
"¢ Was selected to represent my school in a competition of Mathematics and English conducted by University of New South Wales.
"¢ Winner of 3 state awards in technical events conducted at Delhi College of Engineering (DCE). Runner-Up in 4 technical events conducted at Delhi College of Engineering.
Dramatics
"¢ Winner in 1 competition and runner up in other organized in IGIT.
"¢ Played Football at National Level. Represented Delhi and scored a hat trick and helped team to reach semi-finals. Was also adjudicated Man-of-the-tournament by sports head of IIT during an intra-college football tournament in my college.
"¢ Organized literary events during college fests in the year 2011-2012-2013. Recoded higher participation with each successive year.
Debating and Literacy
"¢ Winner of 3 State level debate competitions organized at Delhi College of Engineering.
"¢ Winner of 3 State level extempore competitions organized at Delhi College of Engineering.
"¢ Winner of 3 State level essay competitions organized at Delhi College of Engineering and 1 essay event organized in my college.
"¢ Contributed to college and school magazines and remained an active blooger in my organization monthly newsletter.
Social Initiative
"¢ Involved with an NGO for past 3 years. Working as a treasurer now. During my time I organized events to raise fund for the NGO and used the same money to prevent cow smuggling and prevent slaughtering of cows in the small villages of Haryana.
"¢ A short 3 months internship at AIESEC under the program Iccha, to help slum children identify the basic cause of malaise. Helped them identify major pollutants and areas acting as a breeding ground of mosquitoes. Drafted a survey on the area visited and was adopted as a blue print by the local residents to palliate the waste.
"¢ Worked for 5 months at Children Home, Delhi Government foster home to orphan kids. Provided pedagogy to students and was involved in various teaching drives organized at foster home during those 5 moths.
"¢ Active member of CSR committee of my organization. Awarded for an active role in donation and social drives.

I am targeting kellogg, Yale, ISB, Tepper, Fuqua and Ross. What's your take on the profile ?
Hi Vipul,

Thanks for posting.

Your profile has definite strengths in terms of your GMAT score (excellent), your academic scores (decent), and your extra-curricular activities (outstanding). You have certainly taken some very good initiatives at work, and have been recognized for them too, and that recognition counts. You have some great initiatives and achievements on the extra-curricular side, and in multiple dimensions. These certainly set you apart.

On the technical side, you have done some good work, and the publications add to it. On the other hand, you are coming in from an overrepresented industry (IT - your core function). The fact that you moved to the Business Development team after your first 12 months certainly helps, but there too your work (at least as mentioned) seems to have been more technology-centric (i.e. creating results through technology) than working on business parameters that you mention. Not being from a highly visible Indian institution (such as IIT, BITS, DCE, or the NITs) is a slight concern too, though nothing you can do about that apart from focusing on your work and applications now. Your international experience is also on the lower side, notwithstanding the short Hungary stint. Don't take this to be criticism at all, but just an evaluation of your profile, as you asked for.

Overall, you need to make a strong case for yourself as someone who can do great things in business, apart from doing great things in technology. With 2.8 years of experience, it sometimes becomes difficult to demonstrate that as you would have not have had as much of a chance to create business impact.

In terms of your schools, you will be a good candidate for ISB. Yale is probably not a great fit for the career you are looking at (we assume business roles in tech). Kellogg, Tepper, Fuqua, and Ross will be ambitious for you at this stage. We would recommend reviewing the schools based on your career goals (not mentioned here).

We would like to get a better idea of your work and its impact, but multiple posts on a forum might not be right for that. Do contact us directly [through this link] and we will help evaluate some of the things you mention at greater depth.

Hope this profile evaluation has been useful.

Legendary Member

by GyanOne » Tue May 19, 2015 2:01 am
jugglerG2 wrote:Hi Team GyanOne,

I would like to request you to evaluate my profile for top 20 MBA programs in US and other top programs in Europe (INSEAD, IMD, IESE) for class matriculating 2016.

GMAT: 740(Q50, V40, IR8)

Education:

High School (10th) - 73%
Higher Secondary (12th) - 72%
Bachelor of Engineering - 73%

Extra Curricular:
1. Participated in Regional Cricket and Volleyball competitions representing our school.
2. Write poems but unpublished.

Professional Experience:

Total Experience: Over 9 Years by the March '16.

Worked in:

1. L&T Infotech Ltd., Mumbai (2.5 Years)
-> Lead a team of 6
-> Awarded with Star Performer Award for Leadership

2. TCS Ltd., Mumbai (3.3 Years)
-> Lead a team of 10
-> Awarded with On The Spot award for quick issue resolution.

3. Nucleus Software Pte Ltd., Singapore (6 Months)
->Worked on improving existing processes but do not have any written proof for the same.

4. HCL Singapore Pte Ltd., Singapore (By March '16 it will be approx 2 years as I have no plan of changing job again till I get into business school :) )

Can you please suggest if my profile will be able to draw attention of top 20 business schools. If not, what all schools should I aim for? I am highly inclined towards Strategic Consulting post MBA and have read that Michigan Ross and Emory Goizueta are good schools for people who are willing to get into Consulting post MBA.

Thanks in advance.

- Jitendra
Hi Jitendra,

Since you have contacted us directly, we are not answering this here but will answer in detail when we speak.

Regards,
Team GyanOne

Legendary Member
Gear Up by Making a Focused Strategy for Your Applications This Year

A strategy on how to prepare MBA applications is very important for any applicant planning to apply to MBA programs in top schools around the world. While planning for some of the initial steps might seem trivial - creating an online account and entering basic details - as one starts to get deeper into the application, one realizes that there are many other factors to be taken care of. How to choose recommenders for an MBA application, how to tackle different questions asked as part of the MBA application essays, and which deadline to apply for are some of the questions that applicants must tackle. In fact, some of the questions begin much before a candidate formally starts thinking of when and how to prepare MBA applications. GyanOne presents a list of some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to help MBA applicants better prepare their MBA applications.

How to Prepare MBA Application
Last edited by GyanOne on Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Legendary Member

by GyanOne » Sat May 23, 2015 8:57 am
How to select recommenders for your MBA recommendations

What are some of the criteria that the candidate should keep in mind while selecting recommenders? Should the candidate manage the recommendation letter writing process? What are some of the best practices? The answer is that it is important to select someone who one has worked with rather than just go for the person with the highest designation who will still agree to write the recommendation. A lot of candidates feel that if they are able to get a recommendation from the CXO of their organization, their admission will be a foregone conclusion. Remember, B-school Admissions committees are unlikely to be impressed by the credentials of the person if he or she cannot write about you very well in the recommendation! At the same time, it is worth mentioning that if you can get a recommendation from someone who is a well known and respected figure, go for it.

Recommendations for MBA Applications