• NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    Hundreds of Questions Highly Detailed Reporting Expert Explanations TAKE A FREE GMAT QUIZ
  • 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

Ask Aringo - if your GMAT is below 720.

This topic has 114 expert replies and 221 member replies
Goto page Previous Next
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
3 messages
Hi! Just saw this thread... I would really appreciate your input into what my chances are if I were to proceed with R2 applications or wait it out.

I am a mid-20s Hispanic female, B.S and M.S in Chemical Engineering from non-top universities (both GPAs above 3.6), about 3 years experience in my field, currently at a top company with evidence of increasing responsibilities/leadership, lots of extracurriculars through school and work as well

I've taken the GMAT twice, jumping from low 500s to 670 which is still too low for my target schools (breakdown: IR = 8, Q = 43, V = 40). I am quite concerned that the quant is lower given my background, but I ran out of time and had to guess the last several questions on the section

Career Goal/Why an MBA: Supply Chain/Logistics or Strategy/Consulting (still deciding)

Target Schools: Booth, Kellogg, UCLA, Duke, Ross, Harvard (maybe) and Wharton (maybe)

Thank you for your help!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posted:
309 messages
Followed by:
7 members
Upvotes:
Hi! Just saw this thread... I would really appreciate your input into what my chances are if I were to proceed with R2 applications or wait it out.

I am a mid-20s Hispanic female, B.S and M.S in Chemical Engineering from non-top universities (both GPAs above 3.6), about 3 years experience in my field, currently at a top company with evidence of increasing responsibilities/leadership, lots of extracurriculars through school and work as well

I've taken the GMAT twice, jumping from low 500s to 670 which is still too low for my target schools (breakdown: IR = 8, Q = 43, V = 40). I am quite concerned that the quant is lower given my background, but I ran out of time and had to guess the last several questions on the section

Career Goal/Why an MBA: Supply Chain/Logistics or Strategy/Consulting (still deciding)

Target Schools: Booth, Kellogg, UCLA, Duke, Ross, Harvard (maybe) and Wharton (maybe)

Thank you for your help!
Hi Overanalyzer-

First of all, loved the name. But applying to MBA programs is stressful and most people "over analyze" - so you're in good company.

First of all, let me recommend that you think thoroughly about your career goal strategy (for the applications, anyway.) It is usually best to show career continuity in your applications, rather than jumping to something different from what you have been doing. Consider a track that fits with your work in the chemical engineering company.

While your GMAT score is on the low side for these top programs, it is not at all a lost cause! You fall within the middle 80% range of scores at all of the mentioned programs except for Harvard. Together with your background and with a strong application, you should be a competitive candidate.

Good luck!
David
Aringo.com

aringo.com/" target="_blank">

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Posted:
8 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:
Target GMAT Score:

I had been a reader of your site/posts on forum for a long time and also find the calculation simply fantastic!

Below is my profile and I really would highly appreciate to have your admission assessment.

GMAT: 700 (Q: 90%, V:79%); will retake on 24th Dec (best day in a year for exam!! But I do not carry too much hope as I was very busy these days)
Work experience (reverse chronological order): 2 years executive remuneration/human capital consulting; 1.5 year in-house strategy/corporate finance at a start-up (digital marketing with VC funding); 1 year at KPMG consulting (this is pre-master)
Education: Master in Finance with a top UK business school(with distinction, top 5 out of 170); Undergrad majored in Finance in Hong Kong (GPA 3.56, dean list for final 2 years)
Other qualification: CFA Charterholder
Extra curricular: Diversity and Inclusion council member for Greater China; Founder and Chairman of M&A society while doing masters; captain of amateur basketball team; frequent participant of firm CSR initiatives (e.g. trainer and runner for company sponsored charity 10km)
Current target schools: Stanford (I know I am stretch but want to try), Sloan, Kellogg and LBS
Post MBA career: Corporate Finance with MBB (what I will state this on essays); Investment Banking (not top priority).

Furthermore, I have a question about recommendations. Currently I am having a market leader from current company (Stanford MBA alum) and supervisor at my last company as recommenders. The reason do not looking for my current supervisor is that we are currently under annual appraisal (also promotion discussion) and probably my intenion for an MBA might be viewed as no long-term future with company hence undermines my promotion chances. Do you think this story is solid enough to put on the optional essay part to support my choice of recommenders?

Thank you so much ahead and I look forward to hearing from you.

gdehsoph35

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Posted:
309 messages
Followed by:
7 members
Upvotes:
Hi Aringo.com,

I had been a reader of your site/posts on forum for a long time and also find the calculation simply fantastic!

Below is my profile and I really would highly appreciate to have your admission assessment.

GMAT: 700 (Q: 90%, V:79%); will retake on 24th Dec (best day in a year for exam!! But I do not carry too much hope as I was very busy these days)
Work experience (reverse chronological order): 2 years executive remuneration/human capital consulting; 1.5 year in-house strategy/corporate finance at a start-up (digital marketing with VC funding); 1 year at KPMG consulting (this is pre-master)
Education: Master in Finance with a top UK business school(with distinction, top 5 out of 170); Undergrad majored in Finance in Hong Kong (GPA 3.56, dean list for final 2 years)
Other qualification: CFA Charterholder
Extra curricular: Diversity and Inclusion council member for Greater China; Founder and Chairman of M&A society while doing masters; captain of amateur basketball team; frequent participant of firm CSR initiatives (e.g. trainer and runner for company sponsored charity 10km)
Current target schools: Stanford (I know I am stretch but want to try), Sloan, Kellogg and LBS
Post MBA career: Corporate Finance with MBB (what I will state this on essays); Investment Banking (not top priority).

Furthermore, I have a question about recommendations. Currently I am having a market leader from current company (Stanford MBA alum) and supervisor at my last company as recommenders. The reason do not looking for my current supervisor is that we are currently under annual appraisal (also promotion discussion) and probably my intenion for an MBA might be viewed as no long-term future with company hence undermines my promotion chances. Do you think this story is solid enough to put on the optional essay part to support my choice of recommenders?

Thank you so much ahead and I look forward to hearing from you.

gdehsoph35
Hi gdehsoph35,
Thanks for following our thread.
You seem to have a very solid profile, and are a competitive candidate at all of those schools- even a strong candidate at LBS.
Regarding your question about the recommender - yes - that is perfectly understandable and acceptable, and it's good that you have someone else from the firm "filling in".

Sincerely,
David
Aringo.com

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Posted:
2 messages

I am not sure for which schools my profile is good enough.

I am Indian IT male, with GMAT score 640 and work experience of 3.5 years
out of which 1.5 year is International (In Europe.)

Team Excellence Award winner in the Current Company.
Got Appreciation for Community Service twice in a row in Europe.
Level 1 Certification in Greek (when I was in Europe).

Can you please suggest some US and Canadian schools where it is
feasible to get admission in Round 2 with my profile.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posted:
2 messages
Facebook Logo

I'm applying to bschools (harvard, LBS, stanford, stern, wharton) in R3 and expect to get a 710 gmat score. I'd be so delighted to get your opinion on my profile below:

> 24 yr old (black) Liberian-American (Liberian by heritage, American by birth)

> GMAT (expected): 710

> GPA: 3.2 (I was the first student from my school to solidify an exchange program between Euromed Management business school in Marseille, France...to say the least, my grades suffered during this semester and I didn't quite recover. I'm hoping my work experience and my startup ngo can overshadow this...)

> SCHOOL: Howard University Business School in DC . Note: I applied for the honors program in the 2nd semester of my freshman year and got in. I was an active member for three years and served as the team leader for Citi Group, essentially acting as a liaison between the firm and my honors program. I also lead and won many case studies that were sponsored by our honors program sponsors (i.e. Goldman Sachs, Bank of America etc). However, since my GPA didn't survive study abroad, I did not graduate with my honors program in our senior year. Nonetheless, I did participate in the program up until graduation.

> MAJOR: International Business concentration in Marketing

> OTHER EDUCATION: I also participated in the Harvard Business School Summer Venture in Management program as a rising junior; Post graduation I did a certificate program in Project Management at Georgetown University as part of their continuing education college. Also study abroad at Euromed Management

> UNDERGRAD ACHIEVEMENTS: As part of the 21 CAP program at my business school, for 1 year (my sophomore year), I lead a team of 28 freshman students in a business plan competition sponsored by Ford. I lead my team to a first place victory, beating 22 other teams in the same program; As a mentioned earlier, amongst hundreds of other applicants I was chosen to represent my school as an exchange school at Euromed Marseille; etc.

>> WORK EXPERIENCE: During my junior year, my mother and I launched an ngo dedicated to the maternal/infant mortality cause in Liberia, West Africa. For the past four years, I've served in the capacity at Executive/Projects Director and have raised over 100,000 and impacted more than 2,500 women and children in rural Liberia. As I am currently living in Liberia, by night and on the weekends, I wear my ED hat!

Post graduation, I was looking for a truly international opportunity so I sought out an opportunity with the National Port Authority of Liberia (NPA), convincing the Managing Director that the NPA needed to better marketed in order to attract the large scale financing partners and concessionaires the country is/was looking for. I picked up my things and moved to Liberia and have been working as a full-time Marketing Strategy consultant to the NPA for the past 16 months.

>> HIGHLIGHTS FROM MY WORK: ...Forgot to add highlights of my work: I launched the country's first trans-coastal company since the war in 1989 (it is currently the only vessel that can bring goods from the capital Monrovia to the other outports); I have produced two (working on a 3rd) highly marketing-oriented annual reports for our concessionaires and investors, transforming our reports from word documents to having an international appeal in content, look and feel; I have worked on a number of re-branding initiatives from the re-launching of our website to writing speeches for the MD to communicate the authority's new image and strategy; I also conduct the market research on interested investors so that the MD and the exec team are properly prepped during courtesy visits and can articulate what the best partnerships between the investor (or country representative) and the NPA would be (i.e. UK Minister for Africa visits the port....what should we come out of the meeting with?)

> CAREER GOALS: After working in both the ngo and government (albeit, NPA is an autonomous agency of the govt) space, I feel strongly that what Liberians/Africans need is less aid and more economic opportunities. I've seen first hand that aid can, in fact, be extremely deprecating and demoralizing overtime and can create a first-rate handout culture. While African leaders are discovering their moral conscience, I want to help provide jobs for people in Liberians and Africans so that they depend less on the government and more on their own skills and capacity. Just like the United States and Western Europe, continental Africa is coming upon its own industrial age where manufacturing will be the single most important turning point for many African economies. Liberia in particular, in partnership with the World Bank and Norway (amongst other donor countries, has undertaken a project to lower the barriers to electricity through the renovation of the country's largest power plant. Once that barrier is lowered, I want to open Liberia's largest textile manufacturing company. I want to use my MBA to transition from general marketing to textile production with a focus in supply chain management as, in my capacity at the port authority, I have observed that efficient supply chains is the difference between large companies in Africa and barely scaled SMEs.

> RECOMMENDATIONS: 1) a Nobel Peace Prize winner that has been a great friend and mentor to me for the past 4 years (she has seen my work with the nonprofit and was a guest speaker at our first fundraiser); 2) my managing director

>> OTHER: Forgot to also mention that i started the ngo with my mom, whom immigrated to the US during the 14 year civil war that took place in Liberia. She was a single and pregnant with no family when she landed in the New York City (where I was born!). My mom struggled to get her degree with two kids...and strangely enough I graduated from the same university as she did 11 years later Smile. I'm super proud of her and how hard she pushed my siblings and I to do well!!!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Posted:
309 messages
Followed by:
7 members
Upvotes:
Hi Aringo!

I'm applying to bschools (harvard, LBS, stanford, stern, wharton) in R3 and expect to get a 710 gmat score. I'd be so delighted to get your opinion on my profile below:

> 24 yr old (black) Liberian-American (Liberian by heritage, American by birth)

> GMAT (expected): 710

> GPA: 3.2 (I was the first student from my school to solidify an exchange program between Euromed Management business school in Marseille, France...to say the least, my grades suffered during this semester and I didn't quite recover. I'm hoping my work experience and my startup ngo can overshadow this...)

> SCHOOL: Howard University Business School in DC . Note: I applied for the honors program in the 2nd semester of my freshman year and got in. I was an active member for three years and served as the team leader for Citi Group, essentially acting as a liaison between the firm and my honors program. I also lead and won many case studies that were sponsored by our honors program sponsors (i.e. Goldman Sachs, Bank of America etc). However, since my GPA didn't survive study abroad, I did not graduate with my honors program in our senior year. Nonetheless, I did participate in the program up until graduation.

> MAJOR: International Business concentration in Marketing

> OTHER EDUCATION: I also participated in the Harvard Business School Summer Venture in Management program as a rising junior; Post graduation I did a certificate program in Project Management at Georgetown University as part of their continuing education college. Also study abroad at Euromed Management

> UNDERGRAD ACHIEVEMENTS: As part of the 21 CAP program at my business school, for 1 year (my sophomore year), I lead a team of 28 freshman students in a business plan competition sponsored by Ford. I lead my team to a first place victory, beating 22 other teams in the same program; As a mentioned earlier, amongst hundreds of other applicants I was chosen to represent my school as an exchange school at Euromed Marseille; etc.

>> WORK EXPERIENCE: During my junior year, my mother and I launched an ngo dedicated to the maternal/infant mortality cause in Liberia, West Africa. For the past four years, I've served in the capacity at Executive/Projects Director and have raised over 100,000 and impacted more than 2,500 women and children in rural Liberia. As I am currently living in Liberia, by night and on the weekends, I wear my ED hat!

Post graduation, I was looking for a truly international opportunity so I sought out an opportunity with the National Port Authority of Liberia (NPA), convincing the Managing Director that the NPA needed to better marketed in order to attract the large scale financing partners and concessionaires the country is/was looking for. I picked up my things and moved to Liberia and have been working as a full-time Marketing Strategy consultant to the NPA for the past 16 months.

>> HIGHLIGHTS FROM MY WORK: ...Forgot to add highlights of my work: I launched the country's first trans-coastal company since the war in 1989 (it is currently the only vessel that can bring goods from the capital Monrovia to the other outports); I have produced two (working on a 3rd) highly marketing-oriented annual reports for our concessionaires and investors, transforming our reports from word documents to having an international appeal in content, look and feel; I have worked on a number of re-branding initiatives from the re-launching of our website to writing speeches for the MD to communicate the authority's new image and strategy; I also conduct the market research on interested investors so that the MD and the exec team are properly prepped during courtesy visits and can articulate what the best partnerships between the investor (or country representative) and the NPA would be (i.e. UK Minister for Africa visits the port....what should we come out of the meeting with?)

> CAREER GOALS: After working in both the ngo and government (albeit, NPA is an autonomous agency of the govt) space, I feel strongly that what Liberians/Africans need is less aid and more economic opportunities. I've seen first hand that aid can, in fact, be extremely deprecating and demoralizing overtime and can create a first-rate handout culture. While African leaders are discovering their moral conscience, I want to help provide jobs for people in Liberians and Africans so that they depend less on the government and more on their own skills and capacity. Just like the United States and Western Europe, continental Africa is coming upon its own industrial age where manufacturing will be the single most important turning point for many African economies. Liberia in particular, in partnership with the World Bank and Norway (amongst other donor countries, has undertaken a project to lower the barriers to electricity through the renovation of the country's largest power plant. Once that barrier is lowered, I want to open Liberia's largest textile manufacturing company. I want to use my MBA to transition from general marketing to textile production with a focus in supply chain management as, in my capacity at the port authority, I have observed that efficient supply chains is the difference between large companies in Africa and barely scaled SMEs.

> RECOMMENDATIONS: 1) a Nobel Peace Prize winner that has been a great friend and mentor to me for the past 4 years (she has seen my work with the nonprofit and was a guest speaker at our first fundraiser); 2) my managing director

>> OTHER: Forgot to also mention that i started the ngo with my mom, whom immigrated to the US during the 14 year civil war that took place in Liberia. She was a single and pregnant with no family when she landed in the New York City (where I was born!). My mom struggled to get her degree with two kids...and strangely enough I graduated from the same university as she did 11 years later Smile. I'm super proud of her and how hard she pushed my siblings and I to do well!!!
Hi nbestman - you and your family seem to have a very interesting life story! And it sounds like you've done some great things that help lots of people. Good for you.

Regarding your chances for admission:
For the "top of the top" MBA programs that you listed (all except for Stern)
710 on the GMAT, while generally a solid score, isn't necessarily high enough to offset a mediocre GPA.

That's not to say that these programs are out of your reach. But despite your impressive background, I would categorize you as a "competitive" candidate- not a "strong" one.

At Stern, and perhaps LBS, you are probably somewhere between competitive and strong.

By the way, if it was the semester abroad that brought down your GPA and you otherwise had good grades - don't be afraid to point this out in an optional essay.

Best of luck,
David
Senior Consultant
Aringo.com

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Posted:
6 messages

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read through my post. Can you please evaluate my profile and let me know if my target schools are reasonable and what I'll need to do to improve my application? My short term goal upon graduation is to land a job at a top investment bank, specializing in the energy/technology sectors.

GMAT: 690 (Q46,V38)

Education:
- CFA Level 3 Candidate
- Bachelors in Electrical Engineering at a good Canadian university.
- Six-Sigma Management Methodology - Green Belt Associate Certification (from General Electric)
- Awarded a scholarship for the CFA Level 1 exam

Undergraduate grades: I have an average of about 70% (engineering is extremely intense at my university and a 70% is considered pretty decent. I guess i could elaborate this point further in an optional essay on my applications?)

Demographic: 27/M/Canadian of East Indian origin living and working in Bahrain.

Professional Experience:
1)Big 4
- Assistant manager, Transaction Advisory Department (Valuations sub-service line) in Bahrain (2 years)
- Associate, Audit and Assurance Services Department in Bahrain (2 years)
- Total of 3 promotions in 4 years
- Top rated employee in department of 30 people (2013)
- Have worked on projects based in Bahrain, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Malaysia and Indonesia.
2) General Electric
- Electrical engineering intern in Canada (16 months)

Extra curricular (nothing too out of the ordinary to be honest):
- Captain of local football team
- Free math tutoring for underprivileged high school students
- Assisted a local community club to organize one of Asia's largest badminton tournaments on behalf of the Badminton Asia Confederation
- Food drives for poor South Asian migrant workers
- Marathon participant
- Silver medal at chess competition
- Member of social committee at work - organize social and sports events
- VP and other senior positions at university clubs

I understand my GMAT and undergrad grades may not cut if for the top schools. I plan on explaining my quantitative abilities to the admissions committee through my essays. I could elaborate on the following:
1) Passing two levels of the CFA while working for 70 hours a week
2) Challenging undergraduate degree (Bachelors of Electrical Engineering)
3) Received a scholarship for CFA exam based on a quantitative assessment exam
4) Succeeded at an intellectually demanding job (3 promotions in 4 years)
In addition, I am hopeful that the recommendation letters from my supervisors should be pretty solid.

Would really appreciate any comments/suggestions on any areas of my application I should focus on in my essays and any strategies that would help increase my chances of getting in. Would also appreciate if you could help me narrow down my choice of business schools.

Plan to apply to 6 of the 9 schools below:
- Booth
- Wharton
- Tuck
- Johnson
- Fuqua
- Stern
- Richard Ivey
- Rotman
- Schulich

Much appreciated. Thanks a ton!
Rahul

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Posted:
309 messages
Followed by:
7 members
Upvotes:
Hi Aringo!

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read through my post. Can you please evaluate my profile and let me know if my target schools are reasonable and what I'll need to do to improve my application? My short term goal upon graduation is to land a job at a top investment bank, specializing in the energy/technology sectors.

GMAT: 690 (Q46,V38)

Education:
- CFA Level 3 Candidate
- Bachelors in Electrical Engineering at a good Canadian university.
- Six-Sigma Management Methodology - Green Belt Associate Certification (from General Electric)
- Awarded a scholarship for the CFA Level 1 exam

Undergraduate grades: I have an average of about 70% (engineering is extremely intense at my university and a 70% is considered pretty decent. I guess i could elaborate this point further in an optional essay on my applications?)

Demographic: 27/M/Canadian of East Indian origin living and working in Bahrain.

Professional Experience:
1)Big 4
- Assistant manager, Transaction Advisory Department (Valuations sub-service line) in Bahrain (2 years)
- Associate, Audit and Assurance Services Department in Bahrain (2 years)
- Total of 3 promotions in 4 years
- Top rated employee in department of 30 people (2013)
- Have worked on projects based in Bahrain, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Malaysia and Indonesia.
2) General Electric
- Electrical engineering intern in Canada (16 months)

Extra curricular (nothing too out of the ordinary to be honest):
- Captain of local football team
- Free math tutoring for underprivileged high school students
- Assisted a local community club to organize one of Asia's largest badminton tournaments on behalf of the Badminton Asia Confederation
- Food drives for poor South Asian migrant workers
- Marathon participant
- Silver medal at chess competition
- Member of social committee at work - organize social and sports events
- VP and other senior positions at university clubs

I understand my GMAT and undergrad grades may not cut if for the top schools. I plan on explaining my quantitative abilities to the admissions committee through my essays. I could elaborate on the following:
1) Passing two levels of the CFA while working for 70 hours a week
2) Challenging undergraduate degree (Bachelors of Electrical Engineering)
3) Received a scholarship for CFA exam based on a quantitative assessment exam
4) Succeeded at an intellectually demanding job (3 promotions in 4 years)
In addition, I am hopeful that the recommendation letters from my supervisors should be pretty solid.

Would really appreciate any comments/suggestions on any areas of my application I should focus on in my essays and any strategies that would help increase my chances of getting in. Would also appreciate if you could help me narrow down my choice of business schools.

Plan to apply to 6 of the 9 schools below:
- Booth
- Wharton
- Tuck
- Johnson
- Fuqua
- Stern
- Richard Ivey
- Rotman
- Schulich

Much appreciated. Thanks a ton!
Rahul
Hi Rahul, thanks for writing. It sounds like you're building a nice career for yourself, and with an MBA - the sky's the limit.

From what it sounds like, you are a very hard working person. MBA programs (and of course, people generally) usually appreciate this. Find ways to elegantly make this fact known in your applications, backed by examples such as the ones you listed here.

You should be a strong candidate at all of the listed Canadian MBA programs. However, you will probably find the listed US programs a reach. Your best chances amongst them might be at Stern.

I agree with your thoughts on explaining your quantitative abilities through your essays. You should also emphasize your management experience.

Good luck,
David
Aringo.com

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Posted:
309 messages
Followed by:
7 members
Upvotes:
Hi,

I am not sure for which schools my profile is good enough.

I am Indian IT male, with GMAT score 640 and work experience of 3.5 years
out of which 1.5 year is International (In Europe.)

Team Excellence Award winner in the Current Company.
Got Appreciation for Community Service twice in a row in Europe.
Level 1 Certification in Greek (when I was in Europe).

Can you please suggest some US and Canadian schools where it is
feasible to get admission in Round 2 with my profile.
Hi Tarunjit, looks like I missed your question and only saw it now!
I don't have a full enough picture of your profile to say specifically, but generally, at this later stage in the game, unless you have a very high GPA from a top university, you should be looking at schools that are in the range of 20-50 in rank.

Good luck!
David
Aringo.com

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Posted:
1 messages
Facebook Logo

Loved this post. Relevant posts and comments help a lot!

I took the GMAT today in the morning and could not score what I had thought I would. I am not keen on re-taking the GMAT as this was my 2nd attempt. Would like to get an idea if my profile would fetch me a seat in any of the following colleges? I am targeting aug-sep '15.

1. University of Pennsylvania (Wharton)
2. University of Chicago (Booth)
3. Indian school of business
4. Melbourne business school
5. Nanyang university
6. NUS singapore

GMAT 1 : 590
GMAT 2 : 680

Engineering in Electronics and communications (8.53/10)
10th class 89.6%
12th class 80.8%

Work ex:

Started working with Ericsson India Global services in 2011. Went to UK for 4 months as we were working on UK telecom network for launching 4G services before London Olympics. Worked in Ericsson for 2 years.

Started working with Teach for India as a fellow in 2013. Will have completed 2 years by July '15.

Extra curricular: (Not much as of now)
participated in robotic events when i was in college
was a part of SEDS team
Worked on increasing efficiency while I was in ericsson::
* Developed a software for work management and calculation of net working hour of each employee
* Developed another software for proper documentation of all the activities in our project
* Developed a website to manage cab request in the organization

Would love your comments!!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Posted:
309 messages
Followed by:
7 members
Upvotes:
Hi Aringo!

Loved this post. Relevant posts and comments help a lot!

I took the GMAT today in the morning and could not score what I had thought I would. I am not keen on re-taking the GMAT as this was my 2nd attempt. Would like to get an idea if my profile would fetch me a seat in any of the following colleges? I am targeting aug-sep '15.

1. University of Pennsylvania (Wharton)
2. University of Chicago (Booth)
3. Indian school of business
4. Melbourne business school
5. Nanyang university
6. NUS singapore

GMAT 1 : 590
GMAT 2 : 680

Engineering in Electronics and communications (8.53/10)
10th class 89.6%
12th class 80.8%

Work ex:

Started working with Ericsson India Global services in 2011. Went to UK for 4 months as we were working on UK telecom network for launching 4G services before London Olympics. Worked in Ericsson for 2 years.

Started working with Teach for India as a fellow in 2013. Will have completed 2 years by July '15.

Extra curricular: (Not much as of now)
participated in robotic events when i was in college
was a part of SEDS team
Worked on increasing efficiency while I was in ericsson::
* Developed a software for work management and calculation of net working hour of each employee
* Developed another software for proper documentation of all the activities in our project
* Developed a website to manage cab request in the organization

Would love your comments!!
Hi Mani,
Thanks for your question. I can certainly understand not wanting to re-take the GMAT - it sucks up a lot of time and energy. Your second score greatly improves your overall standing.
As for Wharton, it seems to fall just below their mid-80% range. While you do have a solid GPA and nice experience, it's hard to say whether it's enough. I would estimate that you are a competitive-to-reach candidate. Same goes for Booth. Perhaps pick one of them to take a chance with, but I wouldn't spend the time and effort on applying to both.

At Melbourne you should have much better chances. I cannot say about the other schools.

By the way, you should find an elegant way to explain your career shift - from the telecom industry to teaching - and now suddenly an MBA, which seems to be going back to business. Though you have some time until you start applying, start thinking now about how to best explain this to the admissions committee.

Wishing you the very best of luck,
David
Aringo.com

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
10 messages
Upvotes:
Is it possible to submit an application in 3-4 weeks? Do you think it may hurt my candidacy the following year if I’m not accepted this year?

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Posted:
309 messages
Followed by:
7 members
Upvotes:
Hi,
Is it possible to submit an application in 3-4 weeks? Do you think it may hurt my candidacy the following year if I’m not accepted this year?
Hello Thunder, thanks for your questions.

If you are asking whether it is possible to prepare an application within 3-4 weeks, the answer is yes. I would normally recommend a bit more time, say 4-5 weeks, but if you work hard and can dedicate a good amount of time to it, and you already have a GMAT score, a good application can be prepared within just three weeks as well.

Re-applicants are not negatively impacted. If anything, this can be seen as something positive - you are truly committed to obtaining an MBA / at that particular school. But it is advisable that within that year, you make a significant improvement in your application - for example, a promotion at work or an improved GMAT score.

Good luck!
David
Aringo.com

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
26 messages
brat_ritz wrote:
Hi Aringo,

Kindly evaluate my profile and provide your valuable inputs on B-schools i should be aiming for.

Indian Female working in F&S domain in Accenture

GMAT:
GMAT - 690 - Q46, V39 ,IR-7

Education Qualification: Bachelor of Engineering - Electronics and Communication 71.01% First Division:2008
 10th Standard: CBSE: 88.8% school topper :2002
 12th Standard : CBSE: 78.2% 2004

Summer trainings and Internship:

DRDO: Defense research and Development organisation
Research assistant for Solid state physics LASER. Was actively involved in:
• Creation/Assembly of Solid state laser
• Analysis on the research papers presented on Solid state results

[b]ERTL: Electronics regional testing lab[/b]
• Study of State-of-the-art Anaechoic Chamber
• Study of the process of CE certification of digital instruments(Surge and Burst test)

WORK EXPERIENCE:
Currently working as a Test lead for a leading auto insurance client in USA.
The responsibilities include:
• Test plan,Test strategy and other tesing deliverables
• Testing coordination
• Requirements Analysis
• Creating detailed design
• Creation and Execution of System test cases
• Defect Tracking in TRAC •
Involved in Peer Review
• System Testing

Extra curricular actvities
Accenture
*GCP (Global career program)onboarding team:
Aimed at:
1)Helping new joiners at onsite during their initial stay.
2)Assisting them in documentation and paperwork

*GCP Scheduling team:
Interviewing Subcontarctors for accenture and aligning them as per job openings.

*GCP LKM team:
Planning and coordinating:
1)Rewards &recognition programs
2)Mentoring Lunches
3)Know your leads initiative
4)Cultural diversity programs

*GCP Corporate citizenship:

Helping homeless and needy(Food,clothing and monetary help)

*Akshaya Patra Initiative (For providing food to the needy)
* Technical paper presentation on : Impact of driver less cars in Auto insurance
* Participated in Bloomington -Normal Half Marathon.

College Level:• Founding member of Orator’s club
• Founding Member’s of spiritual Club.
• Active member of Electronics group :The digitals
• Organised Technical fest for ECE dept.
• Was active contributor for College Fest

School level:
• Got many awards and accolades for debates ,declamation ,group song and Poem recitation.
• Won Poem reciation competition for regional level for Kendriya Vidyalaya
• Won drawing competition organised by Bal Bhawan
• Was House captain and participated and won many prizes in Kendriya Vidyalaya

Hobbies/Interests:
• Jogging/Long Distance Running
• Hiking/Canoeing
• Cooking (Indian/International cuisine) Desserts &Baking in particular
• Music
• Watching Historical movies &Documentaries

I plan to apply in R2.
Also, kindly suggest whether aiming for ISB with this core is justified or not.

Thanks
Ritz
Hello Ritz,
You have quite an impressive profile. Please note that I cannot provide feedback regarding your chances at ISB.
If you are interested in other MBA programs, I would tell you that with a strong application (essays, recommendations) you would be a competitive candidate for Top 20 schools - perhaps not those at the very top, but probably those ranked 11-20. The specific schools depend on your interests, as each school has it's focus and specialty.
Good luck,
David
Aringo.com

Hi Aringo,

I started out pretty late last year(gave my Gmat on 16 nov ).I applied for ISB till now and have been interviewed too.Waiting for the results now.Now, i am thinking of applying to other US b schools too this year.
I am currently working in technical domain and i want to move to the business domain.I want to be a business analyst.Kindly suggest the B schools i should aim for.Do i need to improve my GMAT score too.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code