As rare as

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:30 am
vikram4689 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: In the SC above, whether it is a baseball card...or a postage stamp is an adverbial clause modifying the rest of the sentence. The clause is set off by commas because it could be removed without altering the basic meaning of the sentence:

The rarer something becomes, the more avidly it is sought.
Mitch, how did you find that it is working as an ADVERBIAL clause(clause modifying a verb). Isnt it working as ADJECTIVAL clause(clause modifying a noun) and modifying ."something" ..
Here's the OA:

The rarer something becomes, whether it is a baseball card or a musical recording or a postage stamp, the more avidly it is sought by collectors.

The modifying clause serves as an adverb in that it indicates under what conditions the ACTIONS take place: something BECOMES RARER and IS SOUGHT whether it is a baseball card or a musical recording or a postage stamp.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:16 am
Sorry i am not able to get this one. Isn't 'it' modifying 'something' and hence whole clause defining 'it'.

Also i would like to tell my understanding - Clause The rarer something becomes the more avidly it is sought by collectors. is a GENERAL rule and is not restricted to baseball card, musical recording, postage stamp

IS the modifier acting as adverb in below sentence
The rarer something, whether it is a baseball card or a musical recording or a postage stamp, becomes the more avidly it is sought by collectors.
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:50 am
vikram4689 wrote:Sorry i am not able to get this one. Isn't 'it' modifying 'something' and hence whole clause defining 'it'.
For a clause (subject + verb) to serve as an ADJECTIVE, a RELATIVE PRONOUN is needed to connect the clause to the noun being modified. Relative pronouns include which, that, who, whom and whose.

WHETHER is not a relative pronoun. It cannot be used to connect an adjectival clause to a noun.
Hence, the modifying clause in the SC above must be serving as an ADVERB modifying the rest of the sentence.
Also i would like to tell my understanding - Clause The rarer something becomes the more avidly it is sought by collectors. is a GENERAL rule and is not restricted to baseball card, musical recording, postage stamp
Yes. The point of the sentence is that it DOESN'T MATTER whether the something is a card or a recording or a stamp. The rule expressed in the sentence applies to EVERYTHING.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by vikram4689 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:12 pm
Thanks Mitch, Just a quick query whether following sentence is wrong. as NO VERB is present before ADVERBIAL MODIFIER (see movement of verb 'becomes')
The rarer something, whether it is a baseball card or a musical recording or a postage stamp, becomes the more avidly it is sought by collectors

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:23 am
vikram4689 wrote:Thanks Mitch, Just a quick query whether following sentence is wrong. as NO VERB is present before ADVERBIAL MODIFIER (see movement of verb 'becomes')
The rarer something, whether it is a baseball card or a musical recording or a postage stamp, becomes the more avidly it is sought by collectors
The sentence above doesn't convey the intended meaning. Since the intention here is to compare the ACTIONS, the verb (becomes) must be included in the first clause:

The rarer something BECOMES, the more avidly it IS SOUGHT.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by vikram4689 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:23 am
Is it a stylistic or grammatical issue.. both sentences (original and the one i made up) can be reduced to The rarer something BECOMES the more avidly it IS SOUGHT.(without comma after BECOMES) after removing non-essential modifier.