• 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

    Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

    Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

Is MIT Sloan round 2 even worth it?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Posts: 68
Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Thanked: 2 times
Followed by:2 members

Is MIT Sloan round 2 even worth it?

by ksc1940 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:54 am
Due to my gmat retake, which was critical in my case, i couldn't do mit sloan round 1. The round 2 stats are dauting; only about 12-13% are interviewed, compared to 25% for round 1. Among those interviewed, about 60-70% ae accepted, so we are talking about a round 2 acceptance rate of around 8%, compared to 16% for round 1.

Multiple sources have said that for traditional finance/consulting applicants, MIT round 2 is INSANELY tough and that if you can't do round 1, you are probably better off not applying this cycle. Any truth to this advice?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 11
Joined: 15 Nov 2012

by harshuw » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:03 pm
Can I ask where you're getting these numbers from? I'm planning on applying to Sloan round 2.

GMAT/MBA Expert

User avatar
Elite Legendary Member
Posts: 3135
Joined: 01 Apr 2011
Location: Everywhere
Thanked: 589 times
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:47 am
I too am wondering where these stats come from. As far as I know Sloan doesn't release any round by round stats, and that round 2 should be quite similar to round 1. someone may have incorrectly extrapolated these stats from other stats. It is true that R2 is more difficult, in general because they get a lot more applicants, but I don't believe it is THAT much more difficult.
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Posts: 68
Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Thanked: 2 times
Followed by:2 members

by ksc1940 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:56 pm
Jon@Admissionado wrote:I too am wondering where these stats come from. As far as I know Sloan doesn't release any round by round stats, and that round 2 should be quite similar to round 1. someone may have incorrectly extrapolated these stats from other stats. It is true that R2 is more difficult, in general because they get a lot more applicants, but I don't believe it is THAT much more difficult.
MIT Sloan is unique in that they interview the same number of applicants in both rounds, even though round 2 gets twice as many applications. Round 1 interview rate is 25% with about 60-70% getting in. For round 2, the interview rate is 12-13%, so the final acceptance rate for the round is 8-9%.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 2
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Location: Boston, MA
GMAT Score:710

by liz71688 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:27 am
ksc1940 wrote:
Jon@Admissionado wrote:I too am wondering where these stats come from. As far as I know Sloan doesn't release any round by round stats, and that round 2 should be quite similar to round 1. someone may have incorrectly extrapolated these stats from other stats. It is true that R2 is more difficult, in general because they get a lot more applicants, but I don't believe it is THAT much more difficult.
MIT Sloan is unique in that they interview the same number of applicants in both rounds, even though round 2 gets twice as many applications. Round 1 interview rate is 25% with about 60-70% getting in. For round 2, the interview rate is 12-13%, so the final acceptance rate for the round is 8-9%.
I'm really not sure you can make those assumptions, particularly considering the GMAT change this year, which may have encouraged more round 1 applications than usual. On the other hand, maybe applications will be down because the economy is improving. You really just never know, and it's so difficult to speculate (though I certainly understand the temptation...). Go ahead and apply if you really like Sloan and think you can submit a solid round 2 application on time. Good luck!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Posts: 68
Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Thanked: 2 times
Followed by:2 members

by ksc1940 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:44 pm
liz71688 wrote:
ksc1940 wrote:
Jon@Admissionado wrote:I too am wondering where these stats come from. As far as I know Sloan doesn't release any round by round stats, and that round 2 should be quite similar to round 1. someone may have incorrectly extrapolated these stats from other stats. It is true that R2 is more difficult, in general because they get a lot more applicants, but I don't believe it is THAT much more difficult.
MIT Sloan is unique in that they interview the same number of applicants in both rounds, even though round 2 gets twice as many applications. Round 1 interview rate is 25% with about 60-70% getting in. For round 2, the interview rate is 12-13%, so the final acceptance rate for the round is 8-9%.
I'm really not sure you can make those assumptions, particularly considering the GMAT change this year, which may have encouraged more round 1 applications than usual. On the other hand, maybe applications will be down because the economy is improving. You really just never know, and it's so difficult to speculate (though I certainly understand the temptation...). Go ahead and apply if you really like Sloan and think you can submit a solid round 2 application on time. Good luck!
Yes, I went ahead and will be submitting for MIT round 2. Putting the final touches on my cover letter and essays; I feel very good about my MIT application. Although round 2 is harder, the applicant pool is weaker, so you never know. Either way, I figured that this year is my time, and i need to apply and see how it unfolds.

GMAT/MBA Expert

User avatar
Elite Legendary Member
Posts: 3135
Joined: 01 Apr 2011
Location: Everywhere
Thanked: 589 times
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:44 am
You did the right thing, dude
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.