A fire in an enclosed space burns

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by binit » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:50 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
A: making...flames spreading more quickly
Here, the usage of spreading is incorrect.
The usage of making requires the BARE INFINITIVE form of to spread, as follows:
making flames SPREAD more quickly.
Here, spread = bare infinitive (to spread with the to omitted).
Eliminate A.
Hi Mitch,
Thanks a ton for the insightful post. I knew about Bare Infinitives but was never so clear about them.
Just a small doubt regarding the SC question. I think, even if we replace the underlined part with flames SPREAD, the sentence would not convey a logical meaning.
Verb+ing modifier making refers back to the subject of the previous clause i.e. radiation. Now, radiation can make ignition much easier because it preheats the fuel, but can it (radiation) make flames spread? Little awkward meaning.
I think because of the inconsistency in meaning, another verb, cause, was necessary to introduce. Pls comment on that.
Thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:19 am
binit wrote:I think, even if we replace the underlined part with flames SPREAD, the sentence would not convey a logical meaning.
Verb+ing modifier making refers back to the subject of the previous clause i.e. radiation. Now, radiation can make ignition much easier because it preheats the fuel, but can it (radiation) make flames spread? Little awkward meaning.
Option A, if spreading is replaced with spread:
radiation that preheats the fuel, making flames spread more quickly.

Here, the usage of preheats implies that the fuel is heated BEFORE it has contact with the flames, with the result that the flames spread AFTER -- and because -- the fuel has been PREHEATED.
Thus, the usage of COMMA + making -- which implies that radiation is MAKING the flames spread AT THE SAME TIME as the fuel is preheated -- is inappropriate.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3