730 Q 50 V40, AWA 6.0 - yay!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by uday1255 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:27 am
Hi Rohini,
What is your take on the quant? I know being an engineer math must be coming naturally to a lot of indian folks ...how was the actual test were the calculations lengthy or were the questions craftily designed..how many can we get wrong and still get a 50.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:07 am
uday1255 wrote:Hi Rohini,
What is your take on the quant? I know being an engineer math must be coming naturally to a lot of indian folks ...how was the actual test were the calculations lengthy or were the questions craftily designed..how many can we get wrong and still get a 50.
The actual test quant was very close to gmatprep. No lengthy ones but yes tricky ones. It is very important to know when to let go of a question in Quant.Timing makes the difference. In one of the gmatpreps I got 50 even after 8 or 9 mistakes. I did guess on the last question in the actual exam.

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:08 pm
Uday,

attaching gmat prep SC and answers. refer to mgmat gmat prep forum for Ron's wonderful explanations. it has almost all the prep SC's.
alos, similar docs are available for CR,RC nd quant. gmatclub has them all in their sticky posts.
Attachments
GMAT Prep SC.doc
gmat prep sc
(305 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
answers to gmatprep sc.xlsx
(47.22 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

by uday1255 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:52 pm
Rohini,
Thanks for your Prompt response.I also wanted to ask you about the coverage in Real Exam.For instance
I have given a Princeton Review Exam and observe that in quant not all topics are covered also some topics are asked more than others.How was the spread of concepts in Real Exam.Same with Verbal

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:01 pm
Hey Rohini,

Congratulations on such a great score and wish you very best for your applications. :)
Regards,

Pranay

by missionGMATverbal » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:13 am
Congratulations Rohini...Thanks for all the insights...

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:41 am
Just got my AWA..6.0, thanks to chineseburned template.

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:48 am
uday1255 wrote:Rohini,
Thanks for your Prompt response.I also wanted to ask you about the coverage in Real Exam.For instance
I have given a Princeton Review Exam and observe that in quant not all topics are covered also some topics are asked more than others.How was the spread of concepts in Real Exam.Same with Verbal
Quant ...as far as I remember,the coverage was pretty good frm all the topics. Only one frm probability, and 3-4 for set theory. dnt remember the verbal split as such.
If you find one or two topics such as probability, dnt fret much. u can still score high.

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:13 am
rohu27 wrote:Just got my AWA..6.0, thanks to chineseburned template.
Nice... 91%ile right? Or did it decline further? Hopefully, the new section(from next year) will be a better indicator than AWA!
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:19 am
Frankenstein wrote:
rohu27 wrote:Just got my AWA..6.0, thanks to chineseburned template.
Nice... 91%ile right? Or did it decline further? Hopefully, the new section(from next year) will be a better indicator than AWA!
it still is 91%. you are right abt the IR section. frm whtever little time i spent on it, it looks like a completely diff ball game.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Redhorsep » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:08 pm
CR:

I decided to study Powerscore after I heard rave reviews about it. Trust me, its a great source if you are struggling with the CR part. But for me it was the opp. AFter studying few chapters, when I tried to implement the technique, I found out that my CR accurachy actaullly dropped. I stumbled upon Ron's post at the sametime in which he advised to reatin inherent abilities if any for CR strengthen and weaken questions. I only used negation technique from CR Bible. Rest I left it to my reasoning capabilities.

thank you so much for mentioning this! this is GREAT GREAT advice! I adopted your approach today and saw immediate improvement in my weaken-strengthen-evaluate argument correct response ratio! I highly recommend people who have also struggled with this type of questions to watch Ron's video on Manhattangmat website, it's one of the most helpful lessons I've learned so far. I had used Powerscore and it didn't help with this type of questions because it just pushed me to overanalyzing stuffs which is counterproductive, I found Ron's intuitive approach to be the best strategy for these types of problems! Before watching his lesson, I got most of the problems wrong. I just watched the video tonight and tried out the strategy and got most of the problems right! It's AMAZING. Thanks for bringing this up!

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:00 am
Redhorsep wrote:CR:

I decided to study Powerscore after I heard rave reviews about it. Trust me, its a great source if you are struggling with the CR part. But for me it was the opp. AFter studying few chapters, when I tried to implement the technique, I found out that my CR accurachy actaullly dropped. I stumbled upon Ron's post at the sametime in which he advised to reatin inherent abilities if any for CR strengthen and weaken questions. I only used negation technique from CR Bible. Rest I left it to my reasoning capabilities.

thank you so much for mentioning this! this is GREAT GREAT advice! I adopted your approach today and saw immediate improvement in my weaken-strengthen-evaluate argument correct response ratio! I highly recommend people who have also struggled with this type of questions to watch Ron's video on Manhattangmat website, it's one of the most helpful lessons I've learned so far. I had used Powerscore and it didn't help with this type of questions because it just pushed me to overanalyzing stuffs which is counterproductive, I found Ron's intuitive approach to be the best strategy for these types of problems! Before watching his lesson, I got most of the problems wrong. I just watched the video tonight and tried out the strategy and got most of the problems right! It's AMAZING. Thanks for bringing this up!
Glad that it helped you. While preparing for GMAT we tend to forget the most imp thing, all of us need to prepare differently. GMAT is diff from the other exams.

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:02 am
Redhorsep wrote:CR:

Glad that it helped you. While preparing for GMAT we tend to forget the most imp thing, all of us need to prepare differently. GMAT is diff from the other exams.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:52 members
GMAT Score:760

by rishi raj » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:48 am
I'm quite late in congratulating you but thought that I'd anyway wish you. You've been one of the most prolific members of this website.I remember way back when you had just started your prep and had asked something on my thread.And here you are in your full glory.Accept my hearties congratulations! :) Where all are you applying to ?

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:16 pm
rishi raj wrote:I'm quite late in congratulating you but thought that I'd anyway wish you. You've been one of the most prolific members of this website.I remember way back when you had just started your prep and had asked something on my thread.And here you are in your full glory.Accept my hearties congratulations! :) Where all are you applying to ?
Thanks a ton Rishi!! I cant thank BTG enough. Its a great platform. Nd ya I got to knw abt abt RC 99 only after reading about i in your posts :)

My research is still going on as far as the US schools are concerned.Times lessout so I better hurry up. I am also looking at few 1 year mba progs in India.