610 (diagnostic) to 760 (47Q/73%, 49V/99%, 99% overall)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi,

I took the GMAT this past week and wanted to relay my story because I relied heavily on other members' stories as confidence boosters when my journey wasn't going according to plan.

I started my GMAT journey in mid-July of this year, when I registered for a 3-week Kaplan intensive course (6 on-site classes and 5 virtual classes). I had registered for a Sept 1 test, so I didn't have much time to prepare. I took my first Kaplan Diagnostic CAT and scored a 610 (my goal score was 720). I was really disappointed because I didn't finish either section in time and Data Sufficiency destroyed me. In many ways, I am thankful for the low diagnostic score because it forced me to take the studying process very seriously.

I was using the Kaplan materials, which I found to be useful as a review/overview of the topics, but I found the "hard" test questions on the CATs to be much harder than anything in the book. I had also purchased the OG, but because I was putting my faith in Kaplan, I didn't touch it for the first month.

After the first two weeks, I started taking two Kaplan CATs per week (arguably one too many) and was incredibly frustrated with my progress. Despite feeling like I had a grasp on the material, I was getting very rattled during practice tests, having a hard time with the time limits, and not seeing much improvement in my scores. My score log is at the end if you want details.

I must say, for all my frustration with the Kaplan CAT scores, the instructors were amazing. I sent my teacher an email after every CAT with my feedback on the experience, and he would help me break down what went wrong and how to focus my efforts for the next week. One of the most important insights he had for me, which is obvious but took me a while to truly internalize, was that the test should feel difficult for EVERYONE. It sounds obvious and you read it in every prep book you pick up, but this was the first time I had encountered an adaptive test and the idea of perpetually feeling challenged was seriously undermining my confidence despite my rational awareness that it was supposed to feel this way. Once I let that really sink in, things started to turn around and I started finishing the sections within the time limits and stopped trying to guess how I was doing mid-test.

With two weeks left to test day, I hadn't come close to breaking the 700 barrier on the Kaplan CATs. It was at that point a friend mentioned to me that she had had a similar experience and that when she took the GMAT Prep CATs, her scores were much higher (and much closer to her final score). I took the GMAT Prep CAT 1 for my next practice test and broke the 700 barrier. I was so relieved, and my long-lost confidence had returned.

At this point, I had finished all the Kaplan practice problems, so I started in on the OG problem sets. While I wouldn't necessarily say that the OG problems are easier than Kaplan problems, they are written in a slightly different style and it made a difference for me. Kaplan can't use old GMAT problems due to the proprietary nature, so they do their best to mimic GMAT problems but they aren't identical. I think for some people, the official GMAT writing is just easier to parse through, especially on the Verbal sections. Also, the other test prep companies don't have the GMAT's exact scoring algorithm, so the scores aren't completely accurate. This is why Kaplan (and I think most prep companies) tell you to focus on trends in your scores, not the actual numbers. I had a hard time believing it when facing an unsatisfactory number, but it's true.

The OG is obviously a great tool because it is the closest you can get to the questions you will see on test day. Since Quant was my weakness, I did every Quant problem in the book, and reviewed every problem that I either got wrong or took over two minutes to solve. I also did all the Sentence Correction questions because that was my greatest area of opportunity to pick up points in the Verbal section.

One thing that is great about the Kaplan class is that you are given the opportunity to take a practice test in the test-center. I can't stress how valuable this was for me. I showed up to Pearson Vue a week before my "real" test and let me nerves get the best of me, which resulted in a score lower than any prior score except my Diagnostic.

I had read on this forum over and over (and over) again that confidence is what will make or break your test-day experience. So instead of focusing on my low test score, I went out to dinner with friends that night and toasted the fact that I had gotten all of the nervous energy out of my system so there was none left for the following weekend.

Two days later, I took another GMAT Prep CAT and did much better than I expected (and higher than my goal score), so I decided that with only five days until the test, I was going to make that my last practice CAT, end on a high note, and only do enough practice problems to keep me in the rhythm until test day.

The day before the test I did not touch any study materials and only did things that were either fun or relaxing (or both). I calculated that I had spent over 150 hours studying in the past six weeks, so I told myself that I had put in the work and now it was time to reap the rewards. Again, confidence is everything.

Test day brought no surprises and the test felt just like the two GMAT Prep CATs. I took both breaks and used them as opportunities to stretch, shake out any tension in my body, and eat a quick snack (Pearson VUE now has a recording of me jumping up and down and shaking out my limbs like a weirdo). The moment before hitting the button to reveal my score, my heart rate skyrocketed. Given that I was never able to break the 700 barrier on my Kaplan CATs, I was in a state of disbelief when I saw my score. I think my hand was still shaking as I gave my palm print for checkout. My section specific percentiles obviously have a big gap between them, and my strong Verbal performance definitely boosted my overall percentile more than a strong Quant performance would have. I had learned early on that this would be the case due to the large number of non-native English speakers from Quant heavy backgrounds who take the test, so I made sure my Verbal skills were top notch since Quant was still giving me some problems.

I know this has been a lengthy post, but I appreciate you sticking it out. Here are a few parting thoughts:

--Put in the time and trust the process. Don't fight the "game" of the test, it's a waste of energy. Instead, spend that energy coming up with a strategy to beat the game.

--Identify your strengths and weaknesses. Work on the weaknesses while maintaining mastery of your strengths. Don't neglect your strengths because those are points you will want to guarantee yourself on test day.

--Understand that many of the best test-takers still have to make educated guesses now and then or "let go" of a problem that is costing them too much time. Due to time constraints, perfection is not the name of this game, successfully executing your test-day strategy is.

--Don't get hung up on the actual scores of your practice CATs. A general trend upward is what matters most, and understand that the only company with the exact GMAT scoring algorithm is the one that created it, so the GMAT Prep CATs are the only (somewhat) realistic indicators of actual score.

--Confidence is everything. Do whatever you must to feel good going into test day. Treat the test as a challenge that you will dominate instead of something that could dominate you.

--Recognize that a GMAT score does not define you, and that this process is not life-or-death. A little perspective can help when an unsatisfactory practice score has you in a tizzy.

I hope this is helpful to at least one person, as it would be nice to pay forward the insight that I gained from this community.

Now for my score log:

Kaplan Diagnostic: 610
Kaplan CAT 2: 630
Kaplan CAT 3: 630
Kaplan CAT 4: 650
Kaplan CAT 5: 640
Kaplan CAT 6: 660
GMAT Prep CAT 1: 720
Kaplan CAT 7: 660
Kaplan CAT 8 @ Pearson Vue: 630
GMAT Prep CAT 2: 750

Actual GMAT: 760 (47Q, 49V)

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:15 am
Awesome! Congrats on the score.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by NextGreatLeader » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:26 am
Congrats!

What do you think helped most to get your super-high verbal score? I'm significantly stronger in verbal than quant, so I haven't yet devoted much time to verbal. However, with only a few weeks left before my test, I'm now hoping to bring up my verbal score to boost my overall score. I scored V44 on my last GMATPrep, and I'm hoping to bring that to the upper 40s on test day. Do you recommend just focusing on OG problems at this point?

Followed by:1 members

by jennpen32 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:41 pm
NextGreatLeader: I found it very helpful to spend time on Verbal even though it was my strength. For the last three weeks I followed the rule that 2/3 of study time should be spent studying areas of weakness, and 1/3 of your study time should be spent on your strengths. This way, you are sure to grab the "easy" points for you (those that play to your strengths) while also turning weaknesses into strengths.

More than anything, I found the Verbal study time helpful for learning to recognize patterns for wrong answer choices. The test writers are very formulaic (they have to be for it to be a standardized test), and learning these patterns saved me a good chunk of time on test day.

I did most of my Verbal studying using the Kaplan Premier book because I was in a Kaplan class, but I actually prefer OG because there are subtle differences in the writing styles. I think it's a safe bet to spend time on OG questions while looking for patterns in the questions you are getting wrong and then drilling down on those particular types of questions.

Again, each person has their own journey, but that was my experience. Hope that helps!

by maggie135 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:24 pm
Congratulations on your amazing score!

Reading your post helped me calm down a bit after a lower than expected Kaplan practice test today at the testing center. I'm down to my last couple of weeks and even though, I was trying not to allow the score to make me feel that ALL of my studying over the past few months wasn't a waste of time, it really bummed me out!

Thanks again for the pointers!

Good luck in your application process!

Best,
Maggie

Community Manager
Followed by:52 members

by neelgandham » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:22 am
Oh my god! You piece of kohinoor!

Amazing score Jenn. Appreciate your time and your post.
Anil Gandham
Welcome to BEATtheGMAT | Photography | Getting Started | BTG Community rules | MBA Watch
Check out GMAT Prep Now's online course at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/

by jvoralik » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:33 am
Awesome score and extremely helpful post! Thanks for taking the time to relay your experience.

Cheers!

by rqcraddock » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:20 pm
Thank you for your post! Can you post your breakdowns on the Kaplan tests? I know its a bit of a hassle, but it would be really helpful as Im in a very similar situation with very similar overall kaplan CAT scores.

Many thanks!