610->660->750- Third time's the charm

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sameer.pinto » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:20 am
neha.gar wrote:
sameer.pinto wrote:Hello--i have been struggling with the verbal part for quite sometime..Not sure what should we do..Does reading economist and NYT help?
Just like you a newbie- but yes reading economist and it's wonderful for improving rc comprehension
Yes, I have heard good things about the atlantic op-ed too and gonna read that too apart from practicing og and rc grail passages

by chevy.ss » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:26 pm
CarlosP wrote:Got done with the GMAT finally and happy that I won't have to take it again. Mine is a long journey spreading over more than a year.

March 2014: Took the GMAT with only a month of preparation. I thought that I did decent on the exam but was shocked to see only a 610. I think I was not fully prepared for what the GMAT will throw at me.
I was planning to take the GMAT in May then but I had an appraisal due in June and was expecting a hefty raise if I continued my good performance in office so postponed the exam

Feb 2015: I took the exam again but didn't score that well..While I got a good quant score, verbal sank me and I got a 660 only. I realized that doing only the Kaplan book and OG will not be sufficient if I wanted to cross the 40 mark on verbal.

April 2015: Score 750 this time. While taking the test, I could feel that I'm in command of the test and while earlier I would get stuck between the remaining two options in verbal, in this test I could logically eliminate most of the options.
I used aristotle grail series this time alongwith manhattan tests. The grail series was excellent, much easier to understand and better than manhattangmat books. I loved their sc grail the most!
I also got hold of the gmac additional tests and questionbanks. I think these were crucial in helping me get a firm hold of the exam and helped me do well.

I still have a couple of months before I apply. Will be doing a few school visits and will be applying in R1.
My final advice to everyone is that GMAT can't be done with fluke. You really need to prepare well unless you are a genius. Put in the hardwork and you will definitely get results.

Good luck everyone. These forums have been of great help. Let me know if I can be of any help.
My last GMAT story was something like your first attempt. I prepared for 1 month and that too primarily from OG and crashed on the GMAT.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:740

by nchaswal » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:46 pm
Hi Carlos. That was a great score for real. Also it was one of the genuine advice for prepping up for GMAT.

I want to ask more about how you studied & what you studied. Also the thought patterns while preparing for GMAT affect the performance very much.

any email where I can reach ?

Followed by:4 members

by FredT » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:38 pm
nchaswal wrote:Hi Carlos. That was a great score for real. Also it was one of the genuine advice for prepping up for GMAT.

I want to ask more about how you studied & what you studied. Also the thought patterns while preparing for GMAT affect the performance very much.

any email where I can reach ?
I think the biggest thing that will help you during your prep is going a lil slow on major concepts and applying them in as many questions as possible!