20 ft long

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

20 ft long

by fruti_yum » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:45 am
Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the many new satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces to detailed scrutiny from space.

A. satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
B. satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact
C. satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting
D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces

OA is D

Please explain why it is That are part of and not that is a part of... i stumble upon this difference all the time.. pls explain approach!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ashton_s_83 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:25 am
looks like (A) to me, not sure why (D) is the answer, one of the many... should take 'is" after it instead of "are"...

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:23 am
fruti_yum wrote:Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the many new satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth�s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces to detailed scrutiny from space.

A. satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth�s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
B. satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth�s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact
C. satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth�s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting
D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth�s atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth�s atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces
OA is D

Please explain why it is That are part of and not that is a part of... i stumble upon this difference all the time.. pls explain approach!
BTW, answer is clear E neither D nor A.
Finding a clear referent for that in such scenario is tricky, normally we assume it to refer to immediate noun but some time based on context it may refer to far flung noun as well. So I am not sure based on the referent of that only I can avoid a option. Let me try though:

Some finer point first: effort of -ing vs effort to -infinitive: It is clear that some verb may be followed by both +ing or +infinitive construction, but to a large extent it is clear that verb +ing is suitable for events or states already in existence or preferbaly over while infinitives are forward looking statements, for examle one says:
I don't remember locking the door.
I don't remember to lock the door.

Seeing the meaning here the events are futurisitc rather than existing, so effort followed by +ing construction is not suitable. and that along kills option A and C.
Both B and C follows a similar construction in one which is used to refer to satellites while in other a commas is used, both these constructions are wrong from content perspective as well as these modification issues.
D is again riddled with modifier issues(15 years that has..) tense issues, idiom: effort for is simply wrong.

That left us with E, which is not bad at all.
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

Followed by:1 members

by hrishi19884 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:10 am
Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the many new satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces to detailed scrutiny from space.

A. satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
Incorrect :"subjecting" should always be followed by noun else "subjected" should be used.

B. satellites, which is a part of a 15-year effort to subject how Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces interact
Incorrect : "effort to subject" changes the meaning of complete sentence.

C. satellites, part of 15 years effort of subjecting how Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces are interacting
Incorrect : Similar error as A

D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
Correct : grammatically correct and compact. "Are" can be used as it is indicating "all the satellites/many satellites are part of effort"

E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces
Incorrect : "to subject the interactions" changes the meaning. It is the "AM1 satellite" that has subjected the interactions and not the " 15 year effort"
Hrishi

"As you sow, so shall you reap"

Legendary Member

by maihuna » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:24 am
hrishi19884 wrote:
D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces
Correct : grammatically correct and compact. "Are" can be used as it is indicating "all the satellites/many satellites"

E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces
Incorrect : "to subject the interactions" changes the meaning. It is the "satellites" that has subjected the interactions and not the " 15 year effort"
D is having tons of issues, in case you have ignored one, what the hell "effort for" means, do you know "effort for" i s unidiomatic. From where have you got effort for is right construction?

How would you explain the following modification issue: satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of

what is being referred by second that here, the immediate noun is "years", is it year that is subjecting such interaction,
what are the other antecedent for second that ,

why has, what is the subject here, can you see a singular subject in whole clause, you started with that refers to satellites, but satellites are parallel,

why a present perfect construction as indicated by has subjected, when they started where are they going.

what is parallel to the infinitive construction in non -underlined part of the question namely, "to detailed scrutiny from space".

More specially what is grammatically wrong with E, other than the vague reasoning of "to subject the interactions" changes the meaning. It is the "satellites" that has subjected the interactions and not the " 15 year effort", what is the intended meaning, how D is fine there,

huh..tons of issues, questions...

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by antondesh » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:32 am
Another vote for E.

D sounds extremely awkward, especially the phrase "part of an effort for 15 years".

by hrishi19884 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:40 am
OK Let me make it more simple for you

Question
Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1 is one of the many new satellites that is a part of 15 years effort of subjecting the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces to detailed scrutiny from space.

Answer

Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1
is one of the many new satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earths atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces.

Explanation

Now read the part of the sentence that I have marked in blue. Now read the one I have marked in red.

Can you make out the difference why I have used "are" in red one's and "has" in blue one's

"are" indicates that it is a part of efforts of many satellites. "has" states that AM1 satellite has subjected interactions....."

Hope that suffice you! ;-)
Hrishi

Legendary Member

by maihuna » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:01 am
hrishi19884 wrote:OK Let me make it more simple for you

Question

Answer

Twenty-two feet long and 10 feet in diameter, the AM-1
is one of the many new satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earths atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces.

Explanation

Now read the part of the sentence that I have marked in blue. Now read the one I have marked in red.

Can you make out the difference why I have used "are" in red one's and "has" in blue one's

"are" indicates that it is a part of efforts of many satellites. "has" states that AM1 satellite has subjected interactions....."

Hope that suffice you! ;-)
Can you make it more simple for you first by answering the questions raised by me: Most importatntly following three:

For option D: Is effort for a correct idiom, if yes, can you site a verifiable story, if no end of story period, case over, D is WRONG..
still further, the second subordinate clause starting with second that refers to what, years? what else if not year, does it have any singular antecedent, if yes, what, if no why you have a has construction.
still...can you justify the present perfect construction..

The most importantly, what is grammatically wrong with E, meaning change is a debatable stuff, it is not possible for two idiots seating across internet to make other understand for the least, and the golden rule, in GMAT land there is no question wrong only because of meaning, I mean there could be modifier issue and similar other stuff, but not *Only meaning change*

by hrishi19884 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:19 am
TO YOUR FIRST QUESTION : "EFFORT FOR"

EX : "Improving language can be a challenging effort for students whose goal is effective communication"

TO YOUR SECOND QUESTION:

"HAS" is particularly for "AM1 SATELLITE" i.e singular and not plural.

TO YOUR THIRD QUESTION :

"15-year effort" do not subject the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces. It's the AM1 SATELLITE.

Hence E is wrong.

I had already indicated you in my previous thread as below:
"E. satellites that are part of a 15-year effort to subject the interactions of Earth’s atmosphere, ocean, and land surfaces
Incorrect : "to subject the interactions" changes the meaning. It is the "AM1 satellite" that has subjected the interactions and not the " 15 year effort"

I DON'T NEED TO EXPLAIN MYSELF AND MAKE SIMPLE FOR ME. I AM TRYING TO HELP YOU!

IF YOU FEEL THAT YOU DON"T AGREE WITH MY OPINION....THAT'S OK.

THERE WOULD BE NO MORE DISCUSSION ON THIS POST.
Hrishi

Legendary Member

by maihuna » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:33 am
No one is asking your opinion even leave apart your help. Before you move further this is an GmatPrep Q and OA is E, so for all possibility you are on a wrong option.

As for as your example for effort for is concerned, I have not asked for your example, it was explicitly for a verifiable source, i.e. some OG 10/11/12 explanation saying "effort for" is idiomatic, some known test prep companies material saying, or some good source that is reputable.

Second, in case you mean AM1 is the subject for "has subjected" go and upgrade your sentence structure knowledge before offering help to others. I can offer you this help, the subject and verb should be as close as possible, but in this case they are not even mile aparts, but in my opinion light years apart, no sensible reader will be able to make any sense where and how look for such S+V combination, and GMAT is far more strict.

You have really putted nothing new in option E, so it is useless repeating the same story, but for the sake of saying: what is grammatically wrong with E? Can you find one.

finally, restrain yourself from picking certain words, what authority you have to stop further discussion on this topic, why I should agree to your option or explanations?

Legendary Member

by pandeyvineet24 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:52 am
2-3 split.
one of many satellites that is a part
one of many satellites that are a part
Usage of 'are"/'is" depends upon the object of preposition. If the object is mandatory to the meaning of the sentence, then that serves as the subject of the proceeding verb, otherwise object of preposition cannot be the subject. Here "Satellites" is essential to the meaning of sentence and is required here. Therefore "are" is the correct verb.

Down to D and E
satellites that are part of a 15-year effort is better than satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years . Also that in D seems to refer to years. Therefore E should be the answer. Not sure why OA is D.

by hrishi19884 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:07 am
Vineet,

1)"to subject the interactions"

2)"that has subjected the interactions"

which one do you feel makes more sense? I feel 2nd one.

It's my opinion, I may be wrong!
Hrishi

Legendary Member

by maihuna » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:51 am
maihuna wrote:No one is asking your opinion even leave apart your help. Before you move further this is an GmatPrep Q and OA is E, so for all possibility you are on a wrong option.

As for as your example for effort for is concerned, I have not asked for your example, it was explicitly for a verifiable source, i.e. some OG 10/11/12 explanation saying "effort for" is idiomatic, some known test prep companies material saying, or some good source that is reputable.

Second, in case you mean AM1 is the subject for "has subjected" go and upgrade your sentence structure knowledge before offering help to others. I can offer you this help, the subject and verb should be as close as possible, but in this case they are not even mile aparts, but in my opinion light years apart, no sensible reader will be able to make any sense where and how look for such S+V combination, and GMAT is far more strict.

You have really putted nothing new in option E, so it is useless repeating the same story, but for the sake of saying: what is grammatically wrong with E? Can you find one.

finally, restrain yourself from picking certain words, what authority you have to stop further discussion on this topic, why I should agree to your option or explanations?
I couldn't really find that effort for is unidiomatic, (effort of is unidiomatic) D is at least wordy and confusing because of the sequence of relative clauses beginning with that.

Another finer point based on which D can be blasted using dynamite is the use of adjectival term 15-years, the correct adjectival term is 15-year rathe than 15 years.

Legendary Member

by mehravikas » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:20 pm
IMO - If you compare the two bold parts D seems to be awkward and wordy.

Answer should be E.

fruti_yum wrote: D. satellites that are part of an effort for 15 years that has subjected the interactions of Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land surfaces

OA is D

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by divineacclivity » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:53 pm
Experts, what's the OA? In my opinion it is D. Some forums say it is D but others say it is E. Please help understand. thanks.