Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

"The rest of" singular or plural?

This topic has 6 member replies
linfongyu Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
Joined
31 Jan 2008
Posted:
80 messages
Thanked:
2 times
Target GMAT Score:
700+
"The rest of" singular or plural? Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:21 pm
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    "Rest of us" Subject singular or plural?

    I have a brain freeze... Can someone help? What is the proper GMAT grammar for "the rest of us," or "rest of them?" Rest is plural or singular, or depends on the lunar cycle, like SANAM?

    Example:

    The rest of us are going to the movies.
    -or-
    The rest of us is going to the movies.

    The rest of them are staying home.
    -or-
    The rest of them is staying home.

    The rest of the team have performed poorly.
    -or-
    The rest of the team has performed poorly.

    I googled both singular and plural forms and the results are split even. If I had to choose, I'd choose singular form, but I have doubts.

    Thanks in advance.

    Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:45 pm
    The rest of us are

    The rest of them are

    The rest of the team have

    The phrase "the rest of..." will always require a plural verb because it refers to several individuals or items.

    linfongyu Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
    Joined
    31 Jan 2008
    Posted:
    80 messages
    Thanked:
    2 times
    Target GMAT Score:
    700+
    Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:49 pm
    From the New York Times... I'm knee deep in grammar muck.

    The rest of the team is likely to be named on Sunday.

    The rest of the team has more experience in the world's troubles than any in decades.

    Though the youngest sister experiences strange premonitions of doom, the rest of the group are eager to reminisce together and strengthen their familial bonds.

    The rest of the group are not so clearly defined or half as colorful.

    While the rest of us is thinking that it is almost hopeless to fix the Darfur situation, one great lady dares to see it differently.

    Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:53 pm
    The Times makes an understandable blunder. Those first two sentenced, along with the last one, are incorrect.

    The rest (of the team) are likely to be named...
    The rest (of the team) have more experience...
    While the rest (of us) are thinking...

    erukumk Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
    Joined
    13 Dec 2007
    Posted:
    21 messages
    Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:42 am
    linfongyu wrote:
    From the New York Times... I'm knee deep in grammar muck.

    The rest of the team is likely to be named on Sunday.

    The rest of the team has more experience in the world's troubles than any in decades.

    Though the youngest sister experiences strange premonitions of doom, the rest of the group are eager to reminisce together and strengthen their familial bonds.

    The rest of the group are not so clearly defined or half as colorful.

    While the rest of us is thinking that it is almost hopeless to fix the Darfur situation, one great lady dares to see it differently.
    When the group or team is referred as a single entity, singular is used

    Ex: The committe is arriving

    when a group or team is referred as indivduals in a group or team, plural is used

    Ex: The commitee are arriving

    hope this helps

    iamcste GMAT Destroyer! Default Avatar
    Joined
    26 Aug 2008
    Posted:
    940 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Thanked:
    54 times
    Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:04 am
    alejandro.seattle wrote:
    The rest of us are

    The rest of them are

    The rest of the team have

    The phrase "the rest of..." will always require a plural verb because it refers to several individuals or items.
    Any views on this...

    logitech GMAT Titan
    Joined
    20 Oct 2008
    Posted:
    2136 messages
    Followed by:
    20 members
    Thanked:
    232 times
    GMAT Score:
    730
    Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:23 am
    iamcste wrote:
    alejandro.seattle wrote:
    The rest of us are

    The rest of them are

    The rest of the team have

    The phrase "the rest of..." will always require a plural verb because it refers to several individuals or items.
    Any views on this...
    Here is my take:

    IF "rest of them" is referring to a group : SINGULAR

    Rest of the team is having fun tonight.

    IF "rest of them" is referring to individuals in a group : PLURAL

    There were five girls in the class and I dated two of them. Rest of them were ugly Smile

    _________________
    LGTCH
    ---------------------
    "DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

    Best Conversation Starters

    1 abhasjha 52 topics
    2 tanvis1120 21 topics
    3 qwerty12321 20 topics
    4 Nijo 18 topics
    5 sapuna 14 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

    Most Active Experts

    1 image description GMATGuruNY

    The Princeton Review Teacher

    172 posts
    2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

    GMAT Prep Now Teacher

    154 posts
    3 image description Jim@StratusPrep

    Stratus Prep

    60 posts
    4 image description David@GMATPrepNow

    GMAT Prep Now Teacher

    52 posts
    5 image description Jon@Admissionado

    Admissionado

    46 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts