Sound can travel through water for enormous distances,

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by crack30 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:58 am
but why I cannot choose D, I do not know what is wrong about " disippated", is that word wrong? why

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:35 pm
Sound can travel through water for enormous distances,
prevented from dissipating its acoustic energy as a result of
boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different
temperatures and densities.

A. prevented from dissipating its acoustic energy as a
result of
B. prevented from having its acoustic energy dissipated by
C. its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by
D. its acoustic energy prevented from being dissipated as
a result of
E preventing its acoustic energy from dissipating by

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by divineacclivity » Sun May 11, 2014 5:00 pm
Why is D wrong?
D. its acoustic energy prevented from being dissipated as a result of

I chose D over C because I thought in C "dissipating by" - means dissipating "near/from" the boundaries whereas the intended meaning is that the dissipation is prevented because of the "boundaries created by water layers" and hence "as a result of" makes more sense as it is in option D whereas it ("dissipation is prevented because of") is not clearly stated in C, so I left C choice alone.
Please help me understand why D is wrong. Thank you very much.
kevincanspain wrote:See how we can combine these two sentences.

Lisa has to run many errands.

Lisa's mother suffers from allergies that prevent her from leaving the house.

We can write

Lisa has to run many errands, allgeries preventing her mother from leaving the house. (active participle)

OR

Lisa has to run many errands, her mother prevented from leaving the house by allergies (passive participle)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Wed May 14, 2014 7:54 pm
Hello @divineacclivity,

You post a very interesting question. I can understand why you thought that 'by' could mean 'beside' in this context, since that is one of the meanings of 'by'.

The friends gathered by the fireplace to chitchat.

However, this meaning of "by" is not the meaning that is applicable in this context. Remember that meaning is context-based, and to determine the appropriate meaning you should take your clues from what the original sentence tells you.

So first and foremost, let's understand the meaning of the original sentence

Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, prevented from dissipating its acoustic energy as a result of boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.

This sentence is not written in a manner to communicate the meaning effectively. But we should review the sentence carefully and ascertain the implied meaning.

1. This sentence first states a fact that sound can travel through water for long distances.
2. Then it states that the acoustic energy of sound is prevented from getting dissipated because of certain boundaries in the ocean.
o These boundaries are created by water layers that have different properties (temperature and densities)

Now what the sentence fails to establish properly is how these two facts are connected to each other.

So let's connect the two:
"¢ Clearly, it is logical to say that because of fact 2, fact 1 takes place.
o That is because the acoustic energy of sound is not dissipated easily, sound can travel through water for long distances.

So this is the meaning that the correct sentence should communicate.

Now with this understanding let's look at what choice C does:

Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.

In this choice the incorrect part of sentence "prevented from..." has been converted into a modifier of the structure noun phrase + noun modifier. Here the noun phrase is "its acoustic energy". This modifier modifies the preceding clause, providing additional information about the action in preceding clause. Essentially this modifier answers the question - Why can sound travel through water for enormous distances?

Thus this sentence communicates the intended meaning of the sentence.

Now before moving to Choice D, I would like to address your doubt about the meaning communicated by "by". As you can see, the context of the sentence requires the meaning of "by" to be "by means of" and not "besides". So always remember to thoroughly understand the context of the original sentence to avoid making such errors. Do let me know if you have any questions about this.

Now coming to choice D.

Sound can travel through water for enormous distances, its acoustic energy prevented from being dissipated as a result of boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities.

This choice is incorrect because it has meaning ambiguity. Is "as a result of" referring to "prevented" or to "being dissipated"? I.e. which of the following meanings is the choice communicating:
"¢ Acoustic energy is prevented from being dissipated.
o This dissipation happens because of boundaries in the ocean
"¢ Acoustic energy is prevent from being dissipated
o This prevention happens because of boundaries in the ocean

Concluding comments
So as I always say, read and thoroughly understand the meaning of the original sentence. Once you do that, answer choice analysis becomes pretty straight forward.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other doubts. :)

Regards,
Meghna

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by [email protected] » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:11 am
akhpad wrote:This is from OG Verbal Review 2nd Edition
Question No 108

OG Answer:

But it seems to be run on sentence.

However, we can not question on OG answer.
This is not a run on sentence.
The second sentence is called absolute modifier. The second sentence doesn't have a active verb.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by schelljo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:10 pm
Experts-

I get the ", ing" or "ed" modifier being incorrect. What threw me off in this question is that C & D seemed like a run on. The first part of the sentence is a complete sentence, "Sound can travel through water for enormous distance. In the second part , " Its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities," the highlighted portion is modifying acoustic energy. I don't see an actual verb.

Can someone show me where I am going wrong? In short, why is there a comma separating the two parts of the sentence.

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:04 am
schelljo wrote:Experts-

I get the ", ing" or "ed" modifier being incorrect. What threw me off in this question is that C & D seemed like a run on. The first part of the sentence is a complete sentence, "Sound can travel through water for enormous distance. In the second part , " Its acoustic energy prevented from dissipating by boundaries in the ocean created by water layers of different temperatures and densities," the highlighted portion is modifying acoustic energy. I don't see an actual verb.

Can someone show me where I am going wrong? In short, why is there a comma separating the two parts of the sentence.

Thanks
Check my posts here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/sound-can-tr ... 92701.html
https://www.beatthegmat.com/sir-joseph-t ... tml#277836
https://www.beatthegmat.com/absolute-phr ... 78196.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3