Great Lakes Institute of Management, India - Class of 2012

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700

by prachich1987 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:02 am
amarharish wrote:
prachich1987 wrote:Hi,

Just now I checked deadline on the site of Great lakes & found that the last date of application is 15.01.2011.
Actually I have not taken GMAT yet & I am taking it on 27th Jan
Is it mandatory to have a GMAT score while applying.
Also does the classes start in the first week of April?

Thanks !
Hi Prachich1987,

GMAT scores are mandatory at the time of submitting your application. Regarding the classes/ further details on the admissions process/ course, please mail admissions [at] greatlakes.edu.in. My colleagues would be happy to help you.

If you need further information, feel free to call us up on the numbers given on the admissions page.

Regards
Amar
Thanks Amar for your reply.
Can you plz update on the "Great Lakes Entrance Test"

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by amarharish » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:03 am
Since most of you are on the verge of completion of your essays, thought it would help you guys out if I can share my past experiences:

Most of the B School/ GMAT essays are either issue based or argument based. Some are open ended, but mostly can be fit into either of the two! So here is my take on how to fill your pages up sensibly...

Issue based essays:

If the question is an issue based one, read the stimulus which presents the issue carefully considering every aspect.
- Take your stance or position and jot down the points for or against the issues with clear examples
- Jot down the words relevant to the issue which will add clarity/ variety to the essay
- Restrict the essay to 4-5 paragraphs max. Usually you will have a 300 word restriction.
- Structure paragraph 1 with your general stance on the issue and your comments on the subjects as such
- Paragraph's 2,3 and 4 - start with a topic sentence to introduce your argument or point in-favor or against and substantiate with relevant examples
- Paragraph 5 - Sum up your essay with words that reinforce your position with conviction
- And finally proof-read!

Argument based essays:

If the question is based on an argument, read and spot the topic and scope of the argument
a. List out the conclusion(s)
b. List out the evidence available supporting your conclusion
- Sum up the argument in your own words
- How does the argument use its evidences - are there any assumptions, gaps between evidence and conclusion.
- Under what what circumstances can these assumptions be valid or improved
- Is there anything relevant that has not been discussed?
- What would make the argument stronger or valid?

c. For execution, again split up into 3-4 paragraphs. Lengthy ones may not prompt the reader to pick the prime points.
- Let the first paragraph flow in with general comments and assessment of the argument
- Let the next 2-3 state the reasons or the evidence presented for the conclusion and critique them as weak (if they are) and load with the assumptions made. Question the words and expressions used (From my past practice essays lots of them usually follow this pattern)
- In the final paragraph give suggestions to improve and strengthen the argument whereby the conclusion can be made more forceful and credible.

PS: This is purely my personal opinion. Not a standard template as such.

Cheers,
Amar

by amarharish » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:13 am
Meet the Dean @ New Delhi:

Great Lakes Institute of Management lets you set your eyes higher with a world-class management education.Great Lakes offers a rich and rewarding student experience. Through this initiative of Meet the Dean, it is incumbent upon you, as potential students, to discover the unique character of Great Lakes and Life at Great Lakes.

Great Lakes is Dr. Bala. V. Balachandran's dream project of putting Chennai on the International Management Education Map. Dr. Bala serves as full time faculty member in the area of Accounting and Finance and chairs the Academic Advisory Council at Great Lakes since his retirement from Kellogg in 2008. He teaches Managerial Accounting and Strategic Cost and Profitability management for both the PGPM and PGXPM programs apart from offering cohort specific workshops on Mergers & Acquisitions, Valuation Techniques and Post Merger Integration. He is the recipient of the fourth highest civilian award of the Government of India the 'Padmashri' in 2001, awarded in recognition of his contribution towards higher education in India.

To know more about Great Lakes, we invite you to meet Dr. Bala in person and seek answers to any queries on business education in general and also about Great Lakes and the programs on offer. Prospective students can also use this opportunity to network with the current students and alumni to get first hand information about the college, faculty, career services and anything else that will help in making the 'Why Great Lakes?' decision.

Venue: New Delhi, Conference Room #3, India International Center - Annexe Building
Date: 04th Jan 2011
Time: 18:00 - 20:00

by amarharish » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:37 am
Catch the action at Latitude 13 05 - 2011 on https://twitter.com/Lattitude1305 on Twitter. Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam addresses the audience on the occasion. You can also catch the Live Streaming on https://lattitude1305.greatlakes.edu.in/.

by amarharish » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:47 am
prachich1987 wrote:
amarharish wrote:
prachich1987 wrote:Hi,

Just now I checked deadline on the site of Great lakes & found that the last date of application is 15.01.2011.
Actually I have not taken GMAT yet & I am taking it on 27th Jan
Is it mandatory to have a GMAT score while applying.
Also does the classes start in the first week of April?

Thanks !
Hi Prachich1987,

GMAT scores are mandatory at the time of submitting your application. Regarding the classes/ further details on the admissions process/ course, please mail admissions [at] greatlakes.edu.in. My colleagues would be happy to help you.

If you need further information, feel free to call us up on the numbers given on the admissions page.

Regards
Amar
Thanks Amar for your reply.
Can you plz update on the "Great Lakes Entrance Test"
Hi,

We accept CAT/ GMAT and XAT scores. There is no Great Lakes Entrance Test as such.

Regards,
Amar

by amarharish » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:49 am
The last date for admissions is January 31st 2011.

Regards,
Amar

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:660

by GMAT_1986_subha » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:57 am
Whats the employment rate of last pass out batch from Great Lakes?
If Life is a game, I like to play it in my Way

by amarharish » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:20 pm
GMAT_1986_subha wrote:Whats the employment rate of last pass out batch from Great Lakes?
Hi Shuba,

The details are available on our website. Please check out the placement reports section on www.greatlakes.edu.in.

Regards,
Amar

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by shweta Pratap » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:21 am
Hi,

I have 4 year exp in IT.
My percentage are as 10th - 51.2%,12th - 81% and Btech 67.7 %. If I get 700+ in Gmat are there any chances to get a call from Great Lakes ? How much weightage is given to academics?

Thanks!

by amarharish » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:09 pm
shweta Pratap wrote:Hi,

I have 4 year exp in IT.
My percentage are as 10th - 51.2%,12th - 81% and Btech 67.7 %. If I get 700+ in Gmat are there any chances to get a call from Great Lakes ? How much weightage is given to academics?

Thanks!
Hi Shweta,

Your experience and domain is certainly appreciable. Great Lakes does have a few current students with your experience and profiles. It is not just the academics that count, even your SOP's, referrals, extra-curricular counts and the weightage is not fixed as such.

GMAT score this year has been around 700, so to be safe please target 700. In my opinion 680+ shud also be good provided the rest of the profile is good as well.

Amar

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by shweta Pratap » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:08 am
Hi Amarharish,

Did Great Lakes take students with such academic scores so far..?

Thanks!

by amarharish » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:48 am
Great Lakes, looks at the overall profile. While I may not be in a position to comment on similar profiles, a high GMAT score is definitely going to help you. Your Class X score is a little on the lower side, though Class XII and graduation looks convincing. So you may have to justify in your PIs.

Regards,
Amar
shweta Pratap wrote:Hi Amarharish,

Did Great Lakes take students with such academic scores so far..?

Thanks!

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

by arora007 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:02 am
Dear Amar/Indraneel welcome to the forum! We at BTG are glad to have you on the forums!
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members
GMAT Score:710

by bblast » Tue May 03, 2011 11:27 am
1>whats the acceptance rate in % ? i mean how many apps for 300 seats ?
2>whats the % of people going in for operations and technology management ? What kind of companies hire operations guys ?
I saw some good stats for past batch placements in manufacturing from GLIM. Even better than ISB itself I shall say !!

my profile for CO2013: 26 yrs old
->Engineer-1st class throughout
->4 yrs work ex(2 yrs at IT-SAP and 2 yrs entrepreneurship-manufacturing)
->GMAT-looking at a decent score soon :)
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

Followed by:3 members

by indraneel2mukh » Wed May 04, 2011 8:15 am
Around 2000 people apply for the 300 seats but varies from year to year. It can go above 2000 as well.

Around 20% of the class does opt for operations. Again the percentage might vary depending upon the composition of the class but the number is always sizeable. The exhaustive list of companies would be put up in the website soon. You can check there.

Operations people this year have gone into varied industries from automobile, paper, petroleum, consulting, healthcare and technology.