Arsitoral RC

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by hja379 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:12 pm
lunarpower wrote:
Target2009 wrote:Wow. That was complete postmortem of RC - 99 passage. Am scared of practicing it now.
like i said, it's possible that you could still derive some value out of passages like this -- but only in terms of detail questions (which don't really require any sort of cohesive narrative; you just have to be able to find the relevant detail(s) and analyze them). if you are interested in practicing detail questions, then these passages could very well be ok.

on the other hand, if the other passages in this set are written like this one, then it'll be dangerous to consider main idea or big picture questions.

it will be interesting to see their response.
Aristotleprep claims to have their passages taken verbatim from other resources. I don't think GMAT picks up passages from anywhere as is and I believe they do follow certain guidelines for every passage they create. That's probably the right way to create good "GMAT like" material. We all know.. even major business journals have structure issues, especially if you take a bunch of paragraphs out of context.

My 2c.
Google "GMAT Pill"<--really helpful, worth checking out--especially for RC passages.
e-gmat SC: Never thought it would be fun learning SC.
India School Fund: Education through Innovation - A HBS start-up.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Vorskl » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:21 pm
If RC99 is not good, what other resources can we use then?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by hja379 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:57 pm
Vorskl wrote:If RC99 is not good, what other resources can we use then?
Check out this post.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/best-reading ... 74976.html

The issue with polling is, you only get to pick one even though there are other good "GMAT like" stuff. I've listed the resources from what I gathered reading posts in RC forum.

If experts can pick their "top 3" choices, it would really help everyone.
Google "GMAT Pill"<--really helpful, worth checking out--especially for RC passages.
e-gmat SC: Never thought it would be fun learning SC.
India School Fund: Education through Innovation - A HBS start-up.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rg1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:33 pm
I thought RC99 will be a better bet for Reading Comprehension practice. I guess RON's comments will change the mindset of hundreds of students everywhere.
Back to the basic question- What is next the best source for practicing RC? Will GRE and LSAT passages apart from OGs serve the purpose?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by Black Knight » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:51 pm
I think it would be really good if some people who have taken the actual GMAT could tell us how the RC passages on the actual test compare with those in the different practice books such a OGs, Manhattan, RC99, etc.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:17 pm
hja379 wrote::-) I am going to add this conversation to the RC resources poll.
Then I too am going to be a part of History
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member

by adi_800 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:50 pm
AristolePrep removed the content of the links n now, if you click that link, it shows page not found...
Seems that Aristoleprep first kept that link just to acknowledge Ron's comments n later removed it to make sure that their book is selling !! :P

Did a descent job on this passage though... Got 3 out of 4 correct...
But was not much confident while selecting answers..

But Ron, I can see where u r coming from... I was reading official passages for few days n today took over RC 99... N I noticed the difference about the linkages in eacah paras.. Losely connected sentences with the paras not havin much relation wid d oders...

Thanks for your comments Ron...

But the question remains...
What is the best source for RC once you are done with the passages from official books ??

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:38 am
adi_800 (and everybody else): if you are going to address questions to me, please try not to use abbreviations such as "n" and "d"; please write out words such as and and the.

on further research, we've discovered that just about all of the passages in rc99 have been stolen from other sources, mostly from kaplan mcat books. (that the passages were stolen was already pretty obvious at the beginning -- how else would these guys be able to offer 99 passages for$15, and why else would they not give their names anywhere? -- but of course someone had to find the original sources before we could actually come out and say this. at least 34 of the passages in rc99 have been found, word for word, in old kaplan mcat materials.)

needless to say, these passages are NOT gmat passages, and so they will NOT provide good preparation for the gmat!
in general, mcat passages DO consist of rather disconnected paragraphs that consist mostly of facts -- because that's how medicine works; medicine is mostly memorization, and there aren't a lot of "main points" or "main ideas" to consider. therefore, if a student uses these passages for preparation, then he or she will learn to read passages in exactly the way that is LEAST effective for gmat passages.
adi_800 wrote: But the question remains...
What is the best source for RC once you are done with the passages from official books ??
the two official guides (twelfth edition and verbal supplement), taken together, provide more than enough practice.

if the student has gone through those materials and is still having considerable trouble, then one of the following three things (or more than one of them) is true:
(1) the student hasn't taken the time to learn how the problems work, and is just randomly trying to memorize things;
(2) the student doesn't understand how to read and process the passages, and is basically reading as though the passages were just factfactfactfact;
(3) the student isn't yet good enough at reading and understanding professionally written english.

notice that NONE of these three things is going to be fix-able by a greater volume of practice problems. if any of these three things is going on, additional practice problems won't fix the problem; in fact, additional practice is just going to cement the problem.
as an analogy, think of someone with a totally wrong golf swing. now, think of what will happen if this person goes out and takes 10,000 practice swings at golf balls -- the person will still have exactly the same problems, but those problems will now be so thoroughly reinforced that they will be practically impossible to fix.
the same is true for rc. in fact, i will just come out and say that no student should spend more than 15-20 hours of his or her entire life practicing specifically for gmat rc. (note that this is a lifetime total -- not monthly, not weekly, but actual lifetime.) that is plenty of time to learn how gmac writes the wording of its questions, what terms such as "primary purpose" and "inference" mean, etc.
beyond this point, gmat-specific studying is simply not going to help, and, in all probability, will make bad habits even worse and more permanent.

if someone is going to spend a large number of hours, then those hours should be spent before the person starts taking on gmat-type problems. for instance, if the student can't read english fast enough, then that's a problem that must be addressed before he/she begins to look at gmat style problems. if the student doesn't understand how to read passages for the main point, then that's a problem that must be addressed before he/she begins to look at gmat style problems. etc.

more on this here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/supreme-cour ... tml#416797

basically, the two official guides should be more than enough practice problems in both rc and cr. if a student thinks that there is a need for further practice problems beyond those two sources, then the real issue is practically guaranteed to be one of the three things i listed above.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jaichil » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:59 am
Great advice. Thanks Ron.

On side note: I really like your style of writing, especially your consistent and great usage of m-dash(double hypen).

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ChessWriter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:37 am
Thanks Ron,
I agree with every word you have said about RC.

Have you written any similiar articles or passages advising us about CR or SC. I'd be very grateful if you could give me the links for those.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:00 pm
ChessWriter wrote:Thanks Ron,
I agree with every word you have said about RC.

Have you written any similiar articles or passages advising us about CR or SC. I'd be very grateful if you could give me the links for those.

Thanks
hmm.
try these.

cr:

1/
https://www.beatthegmat.com/what-is-reco ... tml#416810

2/
https://www.beatthegmat.com/how-to-impro ... tml#405217

sc:

1/
https://www.beatthegmat.com/confused-how ... tml#366523

2/
https://www.beatthegmat.com/plz-advise-s ... tml#312681

3/
https://www.beatthegmat.com/companies-in ... tml#367679
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron