Accepted at Hult Boston class of 2013

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Indian25 » Thu May 02, 2013 1:52 am
Bostonstrong wrote:Hearing applicants are given huge scholarships before they take the gmat, so theyre not accepted yet, just to try and trap them. And theyre only asking for a 450 score, i assume if you score 400 they'll take you. Wonder how those who scored in 600 to 750 feel about that, and about their own scholarship package?. Then think about a strong 20% of the classroom and the rest full of incompetent students with low level verbal/quant, good luck in your teams and learning from peers. afraid it that time of year where hult becomes desperado and open up the flood gates! Targets and Bonuses to hit. They dont care about standards. Cash is king.
Seems to be true at least for me. I have been offered huge scholarship & yet I haven't produced my GMAT score. I have been told anything above 500 would do & if the score is not even 500 then we will accept GMAT waiver supported by your employer. Though, I am confident about producing score of 650 or above.

Have read lots of opinions about hult on different forums & now I am seriously afraid to pay them conformation deposit against my secured place for MBA.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by ssgmatter » Thu May 02, 2013 1:55 am
To add my two cents- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Avoid HULT if you really care about your career
sorry for being so strong but fortunately that is the truth...
cheers!
Best-
Amit

by andrewkao » Wed May 08, 2013 6:30 pm
Thank you guys for the comments. I was considering Hult (really because their marketing calls me non-stop to make sure I'm hand-held through the app). But seeing the feedback, I'll make sure to pass on their offer.

by rshinde2013 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:36 pm
Do you have acceptance from any other college ?

by vermithrax » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:33 am
As a Hult Boston alumni I can simply say...Hult is a cancer on your resume and will leave you bitter and scarred. I will state this as constructively as I can by section.

Recruitment:
Hult's recruitment techniques are on par with cold calling health insurance policy sellers. Intrusive, badgered with emails. The GMAT score acceptance is just 500, which is pathetic even for a B school. Scholarships were given in our class to people who did not even take the GMAT simply because they worked for parent organization EF. I saw resumes of students who were failed Berkley music musicians who hitting 30 wanted to become businessmen so fabricated resumes with clearly unverifiable experience and work credentials that were allowed in.

Academic standard:
Hult has an unofficial policy of kicking out around 6 students within the first semester via flunking, beyond that point NO ONE is failed. They deliberately recycle the prior years exams with little to mostly no change in questions and answers and allow cheat sheets that simply have the answers from the prior years exams. Thus, you can complete a 90 minute exam in 30 minutes. I saw one students exam paper that was completely blank with 5 minutes on the clock and he was passed, no joke.

Teaching standard:
By varying degrees but its important to understand that Hult does not teach 'education', they teach 'techniques and practices in business'. There is a big difference. I did my last semester at Harvard summer school and transferred the credit, the teaching standard at Harvard was VASTLY better because they teach you how to think, something Hult does not endorse.

At Hult, the term 'Professor' is just thrown around. Hardly any of them are actually professors or have PhD's. Most are just consultants who come into the class with a bunch of bragging rights. Teachers there have personal vendettas against students also. Rob Bogosian and Eliot Sherman are two to name. Bogosian deliberately marked my grade down with fabricated lies about non-attendance and poor work standard which was pure nonsense simply because I stood up to him in class one day. When you complain to faculty they say they will take care of it but never take the students side. Once situation involved a statistics 'teacher' who did nothing but whittle on with jokes and anecdotes and taught no practical skills. With 2 weeks before the exam, and a very worried and under-skilled class of students, I had to organize tutors to come into the school myself to ensure people would pass. His punishment? He was given professor of the year award.

Classmate standards:
The worst I have ever encountered. Its an international school so its very cliquey with each nationality mostly sticking to their own I found and a lot of backstabbing and bitchiness going on. Lots of arguments. You find yourself mostly keeping to yourself as a result.

Student welfare:
Now this is a particular area I wish to strongly comment on. Dan Denoncourt who was responsible for student welfare at the time gave a speech at our induction that student safety and welfare is the school's number one concern. By the end of the first semester (which is by far the hardest) I was so exhausted that I actually blacked out and collapsed in the lobby of the EF building and was rushed to hospital in an ambulance. What was Hult's reaction? ZERO. Not a visit to the hospital, not a text, not an email and not even a phone call. They simply just avoided me all because they were worried about a law suit. When I returned to school every member of faculty would avoid eye contact and look down. When I got to my locker, I had a letter from Rob Anthony the deputy dean putting me on 6 month academic probation and threatened with expulsion for 'unexpected behavior'. I am not kidding.

Hult does not give a single DAMN about student health and welfare, only that you can pay the fees.

Another thing is Hult hires people who have no idea what they are doing in supporting students. One particular member who took over from Dan Denoncourt gave students advice about leaving and re-entering the country. However, he neglected to tell one student that he needed an offer of employment letter to get back into the country and was a sheer miracle they were not refused entry back into the US. Just typical idiocy of the people working there.

Career Services:
Now this was a joke and a half. The services are simply diabolical. The provide you with an absolute sleeper of a resume template to complete and use to market yourself that any employer would throw in the trash. While there Robin who was a former employee (trust me they are always fired) brought the over 30 something students together to say "dont bother applying for next level jobs after graduation, just stick to the jobs you were doing before to apply for". This translated as "we are not hitting our student recruitment targets and so the most experienced students are the safest bet to protect our jobs". So we paid around $50k for an MBA to progress in life and then were asked to sacrifice our future and that investment to safeguard faculty jobs who were not hitting their targets. This is absolutely true and happened.

Since then I have worked with Hult San Francisco with the unnamed 'Executive Director - Corporate Relations North America' who works with placing students in jobs. This person provides little to no help, lies about feedback and provides nothing but avoidance tactics and excesses when asked to do anything. When I contacted the head honcho he simply said "Im not sure what else we can do", to date they had contacted a whopping 3 companies.

Also, if a 'teacher' takes a personal dislike to you they will not provide any contacts or assistance at all and that is accepted amongst faculty.

Public Perception:
Hult is the laughing stock of the MBA marketplace, there are others sure, but those are a lot cheaper. Paying for a Hult MBA is like buying a career with a new coat of paint but when you come to use it you realize the engine is missing and you cant resell it.
At career fairs such as NSHMBA I used the Hult resume format and interviewing techniques and did not get a single interview but plenty of "what school is that?" and frowns and sighs when you say "Hult". The next year I created my own resume and interviewed on my own approach and got hired. When you apply for a job on a website, Hult even now does not apply on the drop down list of schools. Its looked at like some Mexican backstreet business school.

Success since graduation:
I was lucky and got into a Fortune 50 giant after graduation within a few months. Why did I receive the offer? Firstly, I interviewed very well but also because I had 'completed MBA at Harvard University' on my resume which was technically true as my last semester was at Harvard Summer School with credit transfer to complete the MBA. When my boss came into my office a few months later to ask if my MBA was a Harvard or Hult one I was honest and said "Hult but completed my last semester at Harvard". His response was eye rolling, a deep sigh and walking off saying nothing but knowing the embarrassment that one of his team was a Hult graduate.

The biggest problem with Hult is that it sinks its money into expansion and profiling, expelling students and allowing cheating on exams to hit the requisite KPIs to boost its ranking and NOT on student education and welfare. Its a 'business' and run like one. Very cold and very cut throat. If they actually focused on improving just one locations focus and standard, then it would improve its ranking. But I think they will never get that.

So pros and cons:

Pros:

* International experience
* Can meet some good people, there are always some
* Use Hult MBA as a stepping stone to another qualification
* Can attend Harvard to apply transfer credits, looks great on your resume.

Cons:
* School that is ever sinking down the ranking for a reason - Hult does not care about students, Hult cares about Hult.
* You will not get an education, just facts and processes.
* Quality of teaching is variable and inconsistent, usually poor.
* No real attention to student welfare, just want the money.
* Career services is an atrocity. Use them, you will never get hired.
* Hult is an ugly stain on your resume.
* Run as a business not an institution of learning. Students are treated as customers.

There are other B schools to go to that are cheaper and better with a much happier experience ahead. A trained monkey could get into Hult, but after graduation, who wants to hire a trained monkey?

by Hunnayea » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:00 am
Really is unbelievable that these guys are still around! Know of so many disgruntled ex-students who have paid extortionate sums, thinking that they are getting a high level education and when they turn up on "campus" it really is just 2 floors on an office tower, part time professors and a degree that is unheard of by local industries.

Just like the tobacco industry, it's true that hult market most aggressively to the developing markets!

hult are more likely to collapse or get shutdown than become a top-tier b-school........so please please please don't invest in such a shoddy outfit.

by vermithrax » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:46 pm
I agree with you on that. When I looked through the promotional material and they showed the EF building I thought it looked impressive. When I got there and it was just 2 floors (second was hardly used at the time beyond a meeting room) I was less than impressed. The study rooms are not adequate enough and often the students are so exhausted they sleep in them during the day so you have no where to study. Its tiny.

First time we went to NSHMBA in Orlando a few months into the year other students from other schools would see the HULT badge and just smirk and snigger to each other. Confidence robber before you have even set foot in the room.

When you approach the company booth's and tell the rep's your from Hult and hand them your resume you get a very mocking 'ahhhhh....oookkkayyyy lets see your resume' like your a child showing your art homework to your parent.

I am glad to have an MBA but embarrassed of where it is from. The school is just smoke and mirrors. Its all about aggresive marketing and 'look here is Bill Clinton standing in front of a Hult logo'.

Hult is like paying for champagne and caviar in advance and the waiter brings you big mac and fries. They charge a premium price to market itself as a premium MBA and because of the greed of the owners.

The sooner its shut down and it stops destroying people's careers with lies and false promises the better. I was very lucky to have my job waiting for me after graduation this year. Other's will not be.

by Hunnayea » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:06 pm
Very fair analogy......hult really is the McDonald's of the b-school world, but at least McDonald's don't charge extortionate prices and pretend they are fine dining.

I don't know many b-schools with more sales and staff than actual teaching faculty! Simply look at the accreditations they boast. NEASC & BAC- bodies that accredit kindergartens and highschools. AMBA is a solid accreditation for the MBA program, but not for the business school. So if you are studying another course than MBA, you are paying for a useless piece of paper.

by [email protected] » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:29 am
I have got admit for Hult 2014 Boston but now I am having second thoughts. I have 600 GMAT score and 4 yrs experience in Marketing. What other schools can I apply to? Any suggestions?

by vroom2386 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:45 am
LifeChanger wrote:Guys,,anyone who has found inputs about HULTs Boston MBA program?
I hv got selected in HULT Boston campus, but undecided to join.

some saying good but negative comments surrounding all positive points about its course and placement.

Don't know what to do. I hv deadline of 26th jan for fee payment.

by arpitchoudhary16 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:06 am
Have you accepted the offer ?

vroom2386 wrote:
LifeChanger wrote:Guys,,anyone who has found inputs about HULTs Boston MBA program?
I hv got selected in HULT Boston campus, but undecided to join.

some saying good but negative comments surrounding all positive points about its course and placement.

Don't know what to do. I hv deadline of 26th jan for fee payment.

by paulmanalang » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:32 am
After reading all your comments, I am now having second thoughts of joining Hult SF for Fall 2014 intake. I was very enthusiastic about joining especially when I got admitted and I don't know what to feel now.

Is there anyone here who is a current MBA student at Hult San Francisco?

by adamcrawford1678 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:33 am
Hello ,

My personal experience in London has been one of the greatest. The best subjects I have taken were by Prof. Agnes and Prof. Daniel (Marketing and Strategy respectively). Hult never disappoints you with the quality of education as they fly students from across the globe.
Some students during their initial phases at Hult felt the career service was not up to the mark. However, as days passed by and the placement offers started pouring in the sentiments against the same evaporated. However, Hult has gone all out in developing the Corporate Relation team that works throughout the year and provides career fair in all the campuses across the globe in order to make sure you are on the right track after Hult. I really recomment Hult to every one who want to join MBA Education .You may meet Hult Alumni directly at hultreviews(dot)com also.

by ethanbaron » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:58 am
Hello all, I'm a writer for C-Change Media (poetsandquants.com) hoping to speak with some Hult MBA students and grads about the school. I'm interested in hearing pros and cons, and general impressions. I can be reached at [email protected]. Thank you very much.
Ethan Baron

by Christinacc » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:23 pm
Well, I can not agree with above comments. I like this school. I am a current MBA student in HULT. I also finished my MBA in my country, in one of the best universities. I also have friends studying in other business schools in US, I have my comparation.

Professors? Like many schools, you can not account for everyone is great, but there are many good professors in HULT. We have professors also teaching in MIT and Harvard. We have professors having their own companies, who have rich real business experiences! I love many of them! I think they are great!

Classmates? I have classmates originally graduated from NYU, who got full mark on GRE, also Babson, Michhigan, and international students are mostly graduated from their country's top universities; I have classmates who worked in P&G, IBM, GE, Nestle, Microsoft... Bank of America... you name it. I made many good friends here from so many contries.

Career Service? They sent me to London for second round interview! I didin't make it because of high competition, but they tried so hard to help me, even though I am from China. What's more, they repeatly provide training sessions for career development topics, and always invite outside experts to do it. I feel those are so valuable: 7 minutes good impressions, how to do networking, speed interview...... You can not rely on them to find a job for you, but they are really trying so hard to help you.