Young CPA - Please Evaluate, Thanks!!

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Young CPA - Please Evaluate, Thanks!!

by CPA2011 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:43 am
My Profile: 24 years old (25 at time of admittance), Male

- Bachelor in Accounting, 3.7GPA from Marshall University (run-of-the-mill state school)

- I am currently studying for the GMAT. Judging by practice exams, my conservative score prediction is 650 up to possibly 690. I know this will significantly impact your evaluation of my profile, but I do not want to make the GMAT until I am very confident that I won't come in at my lower range (650).

- I'm a Senior Auditor at a regional accounting firm (aka, unheard of). Although my firm is small (50 professionals), it is the 4th largest in my state (WV) and I have worked with large privately held corporations in the coal and manufacturing industries, including the largest privately held coal corporation by reserves in the mid-Atlantic U.S., as well as manufacturers with operations across the Eastern U.S., China, Australia and South America. I have also worked with our largest bank client that also happens to be publicly traded.

I have all the standard auditor experience (audits as well as comps, reviews, projections) and I have also worked directly with foreign translation of Chinese subsidiary financial statements. My firm is very non-traditional, and as such, I have not been as limited in my ability to gain more responsibility simply by working hard.

I have been "auditor-in-charge" of various audit engagements, dealing face to face with CEO's and CFO's of mid-sized ($200-500+mm in revenue) corporations. I have also been a team member of our Business Valuation group and taken part in multiple valuations, although I do not possess the CVA or CBV certifications.

- In college, I was the Treasurer of my Beta Alpha Psi accounting fraternity. I also spoke at our regional conference competition and was awarded 2nd place, only behind NYU. During my time in BAP, I also volunteered for the United Way to prepare tax returns for low income individuals and families.

- I have no patents or publications, however, I am a Certified Public Accountant, and the youngest CPA in my firm.

- I am a recreational distance runner and have successfully completed a marathon.

- My target schools are solid 2nd tier schools, with some 1st tier schools thrown in as my long shots: Target schools are Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Penn State, Ohio State. Long shot schools are UNC and Duke.

--------I'm confident in my GPA, and I'm confident in my ability to perform at least on par on the GMAT, my big worry is that my firm is not a national name.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:28 am
your profile brings up several interesting things in my mind. You are savvy to be sensitive about where you went to school. Where you went to school is just as important as your GPA, so it's great you have a 3.7, but the adcoms may discount that a bit if your school is perceived to be not as rigorous or prestigious as other applicant's schools. A good GMAT can overcome some of these academic issues in an application, so it is wise of you to wait until you are good and ready for the GMAT. You are going to be put in a pot with other Accounting applicants, so be thinking how you will cast your experience as more valuable than theirs. don't be intimidated by applicants from bigger firms. The bigger the firm, the slower you progress and the less you get meaningful projects. Sounds like you had a lot of access to c-level folks and helped solve real problems, also problems in an industry which is hot right now: energy. Focus on these things and you can distinguish yourself against an applicant with Big 4 accounting experience, but never made a real impact. The perspective on business that you likely achieved in your career can provide valuable insight to classmates and can contribute much to discussions and group work. I think you have a realistic attitude toward your school goals and encourage you to stay on track in applying to your reach schools as well. It's really all about making the application sing, making it resonate with a committee. They get a lot of Accountants applying to b-school. How will your application be memorable? Let us know if we can help.
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options