Working guy, need 3 month plan for 700+

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Working guy, need 3 month plan for 700+

by uhsa » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:41 am
Hello all,
I am a working professional as well as family guy. Need to score 700+, can someone please help me set up a 3 month game plan? I believe I can do 2 hr daily, and I can try to get more over the weekend (but I am trying to prepare for the worst - let's keep it 2 hrs over the weekend. With 2 growing kids, I can't commit more.

That gives me 14 hr per week, and I am looking to put in 3 mo. Is that doable for a 700+? I know my restrains don't sound too good but I am trying to be realistic rather than build castle in the air.

I am hoping to get the plan(s) that would help me build from day 1 to day 90.

I have all MGMAT books, except IR.

Please help. I am also looking at different blogs for the same...

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:54 am
What I can definitely recommend is that you go over the questions in the Official Guide but do it rather at a later stage of your studies, not at the beginning. Also in the last three weeks yous should do a few simulation tests to make sure you can stay focused for such a long time and manage with the timing.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by NextGreatLeader » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:52 am
Have you checked out the 3-month study plan from BtG: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2009/12/ ... -prep-plan

If that doesn't work for you, I'd recommend you spend a week familiarizing yourself with the test and question structure. Then, take one of the MGMAT tests as a diagnostic. These tests will give you the most detailed information on your strengths and weaknesses. You will then be able to know how far you need to go to reach 700, and you'll know what areas to prioritize.

by uhsa » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:51 am
Yeah I have seen the 3 month plan that BTG has, however, I was hoping for one from someone who actually beat the GMAT. I was also thinking out loud, if I start Quant first, wouldn't I "lose it" a bit by the time I am in month 3, doing Verbal?

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by rijul007 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:54 pm
uhsa wrote:Yeah I have seen the 3 month plan that BTG has, however, I was hoping for one from someone who actually beat the GMAT. I was also thinking out loud, if I start Quant first, wouldn't I "lose it" a bit by the time I am in month 3, doing Verbal?
At the start of my preparation, my GMATprep practice test score was 590. After 3 months of preparation I took the GMAT and scored a 720. Let me share with you what I did.
I was pretty good at math already, so I spent the first 3 weeks brushing up basic maths concepts. I had enrolled at magoosh.com. It has a question bank along with some concept videos. I saw each and every video related to quant, and practiced questions.
After that, I started preparing verbal. I went through videos at magoosh.com, but somehow didn't feel they were sufficient. So, I enrolled at e-gmat.com. I found the CR and RC sessions very very helpful, but SC not so much. Manhattan SC guide is more than enough for that. I spent around 1.5 months in verbal, preparing each and every question type. quant was never left untouched. I used to practice atleast 10 ques of maths every alternate day.
I devoted the last few weeks to OG problems and practice tests. I also watched 'Thursdays with Ron' videos, which are available for free at Manhattan.com for free.
This is what I did.

I am planning to retake the GMAT again next year in april for a 750+, for which I will be starting my prep in feb. I will be following the same routine, but this time with a little more focus towards verbal.

I am not saying you should follow my approach. You just need to figure out yourself what your strengths and weaknesses are and work out accordingly.
Here's a study plan that a friend of mine said helped him score a 700
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-gm ... beginners/

I hope this post clarified some of your queries.
All the best!

by uhsa » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:09 pm
Thank you for the help. This is what I was looking for -- a "schedule" that would help me plan out my study. Like I said, I can do like 2 hours every day - so ~168 hours in 3 months? I am just looking for a game plan of sorts that would help me kick the GMAT. Your post has made me a bit more confident. I will start with book 1 of MGMAT Quant.
Last edited by uhsa on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:43 pm
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/