Women's Suffrage_primary purpose

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

Women's Suffrage_primary purpose

by Soumita Ghosh » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:26 am

OA D

I am confused with C and D?? Can anyone explain me how to eliminate one of them?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:24 am
Before I address this question, I want to point out that this is a poorly written passage. It is riddled with grammatical and factual errors:
- the Seneca Falls Convention happened in 1848, not 1948
- "considered to be" is not idiomatically correct
- "100 of the approximate men and women" makes no grammatical or logical sense
- "Alice Paul was forced to resign... and started her own..." needs a comma before "and," because these are separate independent clauses

It is a bad idea to study from any source that takes so little care in writing its passages. You should only study from reputable sources that are very like the GMAT.
Last edited by ceilidh.erickson on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:32 am
Now to your question... This question asks us to find the Primary Purpose. When looking at RC questions, it's a good idea to look for 4 wrong answers, rather than look for the right answer. Think about what you can prove wrong.

That said, it's a good idea to have your own idea of the primary purpose before you begin. Here, it might be: Showing the various events that led to a political outcome: women's right to vote.

A. Political figures are mentioned, but the primary purpose isn't to detail their actions. It's to show the results.
B. Again, organizations are mentioned, but it's not about them. It's about what they caused to happen.
C. This passage mentions that people had different viewpoints, but doesn't go into depth about what they thought and why. It's centered on actions and outcomes. It's also not clear that everyone had a common goal - some people thought women deserved the right to vote; others did not.
D. Yes, this passage details all of the relevant events that led to the outcome of women's suffrage. CORRECT
E. It's not just about that one organization; it's about the whole movement.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:16 pm
easy passage with hard main idea question

I meet this situation many times and fail many times

how to counter this situation.