• NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    Hundreds of Questions Highly Detailed Reporting Expert Explanations TAKE A FREE GMAT QUIZ
  • 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

    Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

    Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

Will vs Would - Wildlife expert

This topic has 1 expert reply and 4 member replies

Will vs Would - Wildlife expert

Post
A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into northern Minnesota would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than one wolf for every 39 square miles.

A) would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than
B )would fail provided the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more than
C )should fail if the timber wolf density in that region was greater than
D )will fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is greater than
E) will fail if the timber wolf density in that region were more numerous than

OA: D

There are two approachs to solve this question:

a) According to some experts, the difference between WILL and WOULD is related to the certainty of
the information expressed in the sentence. In other words, how sure is the author about that topic.
In this sentence, the expert is sure that the reintroduction of the caribou WILL fail if the timber population is greater. If he were not so sure, we would have to use WOULD.

b) According to other experts, using WILL or WOULD depends on the tense of the sentence. If the tense is present we use WILL when we refer to the future. If the tense of the sentence is past, we use WOULD when we refer to the past. It's like reported speech.

What do you think about these two approachs? IMO, the second one is the correct IN THIS SENTENCE. Because the author is reporting something that the expert said, predicted.

What do you think?

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Legendary Member
Joined
26 Apr 2011
Posted:
1239 messages
Followed by:
25 members
Upvotes:
233
Test Date:
26/06/2012
Target GMAT Score:
720
GMAT Score:
680
Post
A wildlife expert predicts not predicted, hence will is the right one here.

_________________
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
31 Mar 2011
Posted:
382 messages
Upvotes:
15
Post
predicts--will-greater than

(D)

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
metallicafan wrote:
A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into northern Minnesota would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than one wolf for every 39 square miles.

A) would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than
B )would fail provided the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more than
C )should fail if the timber wolf density in that region was greater than
D )will fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is greater than
E) will fail if the timber wolf density in that region were more numerous than

OA: D
Basing your answer on the certainty of an event will get you into trouble.
For this conditional (if X then Y) questions, you need to have corresponding tenses, depending on whether you have a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd conditional.
1st conditional: If X happens, then Y will happen
2nd conditional: If X happened, then Y would happen
3rd conditional: If X had happened, then Y would have happened

A) would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than
(the verb tenses here do not match any of the above structures)

B )would fail provided the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more than
(the verb tenses here do not match any of the above structures)

C )should fail if the timber wolf density in that region was greater than
"Should" changes the meaning.

D )will fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is greater than
(the verb tenses here match the structure of a 2nd conditional)

E) will fail if the timber wolf density in that region were more numerous than
(the verb tenses here do not match any of the above structures)

Answer = D

Cheers,
Brent

_________________
Brent Hanneson – Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Use our video course along with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide

Sign up for our free Question of the Day emails
And check out all of our free resources

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!
Legendary Member
Joined
03 Nov 2011
Posted:
1665 messages
Followed by:
70 members
Upvotes:
165
Target GMAT Score:
750
Facebook Logo
Post
How can we differentiate btwn the "greater than" Vs "numerous than" option?

Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into northern Minnesota would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than one wolf for every 39 square miles.

A) would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than
B )would fail provided the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more than
C )should fail if the timber wolf density in that region was greater than
D )will fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is greater than
E) will fail if the timber wolf density in that region were more numerous than

OA: D
Basing your answer on the certainty of an event will get you into trouble.
For this conditional (if X then Y) questions, you need to have corresponding tenses, depending on whether you have a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd conditional.
1st conditional: If X happens, then Y will happen
2nd conditional: If X happened, then Y would happen
3rd conditional: If X had happened, then Y would have happened

A) would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than
(the verb tenses here do not match any of the above structures)

B )would fail provided the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more than
(the verb tenses here do not match any of the above structures)

C )should fail if the timber wolf density in that region was greater than
"Should" changes the meaning.

D )will fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is greater than
(the verb tenses here match the structure of a 2nd conditional)

E) will fail if the timber wolf density in that region were more numerous than
(the verb tenses here do not match any of the above structures)

Answer = D

Cheers,
Brent

_________________
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" Smile Smile---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Legendary Member
Joined
26 Apr 2011
Posted:
1239 messages
Followed by:
25 members
Upvotes:
233
Test Date:
26/06/2012
Target GMAT Score:
720
GMAT Score:
680
Post
karthikpandian19 wrote:
How can we differentiate btwn the "greater than" Vs "numerous than" option?
Density is a single value and it cannot be numerous, it can only be greater. The density of wolves at X is 1000 wolves/sq.km and density of wolves at Y is 1500 wolves/sq.km. So one is greater than the other and numerous would not fit here logically.

_________________
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • The Princeton Review
    FREE GMAT Exam
    Know how you'd score today for $0

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    The Princeton Review
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer

Top First Responders*

1 Jay@ManhattanReview 68 first replies
2 fskilnik@GMATH 54 first replies
3 Brent@GMATPrepNow 48 first replies
4 GMATGuruNY 31 first replies
5 Rich.C@EMPOWERgma... 27 first replies
* Only counts replies to topics started in last 30 days
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members

Most Active Experts

1 image description fskilnik@GMATH

GMATH Teacher

110 posts
2 image description Max@Math Revolution

Math Revolution

94 posts
3 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

93 posts
4 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

Manhattan Review

84 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

77 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts