Will this letter of recommendation help me?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Will this letter of recommendation help me?

by jaw5xs » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:57 am
I have a question about a potential letter of recommendation and whether it would be beneficial to my application. I worked at a government agency in D.C. every summer and winter break throughout college and some of high school even. A while ago, my boss introduced me to a very high up individual there and I have stayed in contact with him and he has been like a mentor to me ever since. He is a Presidential Appointee. He has a degree in Econ from Harvard and a Ph.D in Econ from Stanford. He was also a graduate professor at USC. My major is Economics which is why I was initially introduced to him.
My question is would this be a good recommendation even though I haven't directly worked for him in the past? Also, how many recommendation letters are too many? I was thinking about getting three.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:10 pm
Dear jaw5xs,

My philosophy on number of recommendation letters is you never want to provide more than one extra. So, if the school requires 2, then you would not want to submit more than 3. If you go beyond what is required, you do run a small risk as it can be seen as someone who does not follow directions or pay attention to detail. However, when it comes to recommendation letters, most schools will not mind one extra IF it has relevance and value. When applicants submit 4 or 6 or more, then the schools start to wonder why they are being flooded with letters and it raises a concern.

As for the person you have in mind, I think he could be a good choice if you feel he can comment on you from a professional perspective. It is important that your recommenders be able to comment on what it is like to work with you and your skills in a professional atmosphere. If you feel he can do that, then I say ask him.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me