Will an unsuccessful application harm you?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I really need some help here and I appreciate your inputs.

I have my mind set on two of the top ten schools. And I'm debating if I should apply this year (2009 admission) or next year (2010 admission)

My primary goal is to get into one of these two schools regardless the timing.

However, I would prefer to go to B-school in 2009 rather than 2010 due to personal reasons.

Yet I think I'll be a little better prepared if I apply for the 2010 admission, mainly because it should give me some time to add some community work experience.

My strategy is to apply this year and if I don't get in, I'll apply again for the same two schools next year.

Now my question is: if I don't get into my "dream schools" this year and reapply next year, will my unsuccessful applications actually harm my next year's applications?

Thank you very much!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:620

by giggle1050 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:46 am
Hi
I dont think so. In fact it can work positively for you. Schools prefer re-applicants as it shows their commitment to the school. However, you need to have a good second year application which highlights how you have strengthened yourself as a candidate.
Good luck!

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by Cindy Tokumitsu » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:00 pm
Hello,

I believe it makes sense to apply this year if you are qualified and will turn in outstanding applications, as long as the schools you are applying to are either friendly or neutral to reapplicants. Most are, the one exception (at least in previous years) being HBS. However, be aware that if you reapply to any top program, the adcom will want to see significant growth from the previous application – even if you were initially qualified. So also be sure that you’re in a position to develop professionally (and also outside of work) over the coming year in the event you do have to reapply.

That said, good luck this year, if you do go forward!

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Editor, Accepted.com
www.Accepted.com