Why I have set a target score of 750+...

This topic has expert replies

Do you feel one should have a reason behind setting the GMAT Target score?

Yes
70%
No
30%

Total votes: 10

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Why I have set a target score of 750+...

by abaseabash » Wed May 27, 2009 9:09 am
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. What I think is,each one here should have a concrete reason for setting his/her Target GMAT score. The target GMAT score should not be set for the sake of setting it or just because someone else is doing so.

I have a GRE score of 1430 (quant-770). The equivalent GMAT score is 710.That is the only reason why I have set my target as 750+.If I had had not appeared for the GRE, I would have set a target of 700+.

According to me, the main objective behind setting a target gmat score is to help one focus and take the necessary steps to achieve it. I am saying this from my own experience. I had set myself a GRE target of 1400+. However I scored only 1180 in the first attempt. But the target of 1400+ helped me score 1430 in the next attempt.

I will take the GMAT this week. Lets see if I can achieve my target (this time in the first attempt itself :D ) .

Thanks and regards

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:55 members
GMAT Score:760

by myohmy » Wed May 27, 2009 9:44 am
Yes. For me (as I would assume, for most people), I set my target score at 700+ so as to be competitive at my top b-school choice. I did not want my GMAT score to be the reason I didn't get in, so I chose to set my target score at the median score for that program.

GMAT Score:470

by gmatplayer » Wed May 27, 2009 9:45 am
Targetting high score is nice in general.
I have taken GRE too, long back, and got 760 in Q. I don't see any correlation between two. Tough Q in GRE are simpler than those in GMAT. When you have 3-4 correct answers in GMAT, the problems become very tough, espacially to solve in 2min.
All the best
Keep us posted

by 4score20 » Wed May 27, 2009 2:26 pm
Typically a target score reflects a goal or long-term plan. One could question the wisdom of even taking the GMAT without a goal. Why spend the time and money if one isn't headed in a specific direction?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by nittanylion530 » Wed May 27, 2009 5:02 pm
Most people target high scores to get into a top b-school I'm assuming. As far as having a reason, I think that's a pretty good one. Better to strive for a high score then an mediocre one.

by skang357 » Wed May 27, 2009 8:27 pm
I can't comment with total knowledge about the GRE, but it seems to me the GRE is more like the SAT than the GMAT is like the SAT.

SAT tests more pure math skills you learn in high school. GMAT tests more logic and problem solving and critical thinking ability. In that sense, to me, the quant on the GMAT is definitely harder than SAT math. However I think the GMAT Verbal is easier than SAT verbal because the SAT verbal tests vocabulary. GMAT does not. Seems the GRE tests vocabulary.

Anyways I'm just making a comparison with GMAT vs GRE using the SAT because I at least think the GRE is closer to SAT than it is to the GMAT.

Let us know how you think the GMAT compares to the GRE.
Impossible is nothing

This is for gmatplayer

by abaseabash » Wed May 27, 2009 9:53 pm
I think you have misinterpreted me. I am not comparing GMAT score with the GRE quant score.The GMAT equivalent of a GRE score of 1430 is 710 (according to a conversion table released by ETS)

GRE Prep vs GMAT Prep

by abaseabash » Wed May 27, 2009 10:20 pm
I have not appeared for the GMAT yet. However, as far as the preparation for GRE and GMAT is concerned, I would like to say the following-

Advantages of appearing for the GRE before appearing for GMAT (provided one has studies sincerely for the GRE):

1.One feels comfortable with standardized tests.
2.No special preparations needed for AWA.
3.Barron's wordlists are the base of GRE-Verbal.Going thru these wordlists helps especially in RC and CR in GMAT. If one comes across some difficult word/phrase,one does not get bogged down.
4.The confidence level while solving the RCs is high.
5.GRE Quant preparation acts as the foundation of GMAT Quant. Basic math skills are enhanced.

To conclude,if GMAT is a marathon, GRE is a 400 meters sprint race.
:wink:

MBA Student
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:640

Re: Why I have set a target score of 750+...

by hk » Thu May 28, 2009 9:45 am
abaseabash wrote:Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. What I think is,each one here should have a concrete reason for setting his/her Target GMAT score. The target GMAT score should not be set for the sake of setting it or just because someone else is doing so.

I have a GRE score of 1430 (quant-770). The equivalent GMAT score is 710.That is the only reason why I have set my target as 750+.If I had had not appeared for the GRE, I would have set a target of 700+.

According to me, the main objective behind setting a target gmat score is to help one focus and take the necessary steps to achieve it. I am saying this from my own experience. I had set myself a GRE target of 1400+. However I scored only 1180 in the first attempt. But the target of 1400+ helped me score 1430 in the next attempt.

I will take the GMAT this week. Lets see if I can achieve my target (this time in the first attempt itself :D ) .

Thanks and regards
I think its a good idea to set a target score. Its gives you a goal and motivates you to work for it. But I think the target score is to be set based on 2 aspects: 1. Your ability, 2. Your ultimate aim.

If you want to pursue an MBA and if thats the reason why you are taking the GMAT, then you actually dont require a 750+ score. All the top 5 schools worldwide cap off their average score at 725. Also, you need to get together a good overall package for application to b-schools. A score of 780 would do you no good if the other aspects are lousy..

One more thing to add. I would not set my GMAT target based on my GRE score. They are two different tests and the requirement is different. I dont mean to suggest that you lower your target score. Absolutely not, but do have realistic and meaningful goals!!!

All the best and i hope you reach your target score.
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish