Why data takes singular verb

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Why data takes singular verb

by sevenplus » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:37 pm
Now that so much data travels via light-i.e., is carried in glass fibers rather than by electrical current-one goal of semiconductor research is to develop a silicon chip that can transmit and receive light signals directly, a development that mav one dav lead to smaller, faster semiconductors.

A. to develop a silicon chip that can transmit and receive light signals directly, a development that may one day lead
B. to develop a silicon chip with the capability of transmitting and receiving light signals directly, which may one day lead
C. the development of a silicon chip that has the capability of transmitting and receiving light signals directly, a development maybe one day leading
D. developing a silicon chip that can transmit and receive light signals directly, which may one day lead
E. developing a silicon chip with the ability to transmit and receive light signals directly, with this development maybe one day leading

OA is A. My question is why in the correct choice, data takes singular verb travels.

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by kvcpk » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:51 pm
Hi Sevenplus,

Data is a collective noun. That is the reason it always takes singular verb. For example, Crowd, Audience etc..

Hope this helps!!

Praveen

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sevenplus » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:21 pm
kvcpk wrote:Hi Sevenplus,

Data is a collective noun. That is the reason it always takes singular verb. For example, Crowd, Audience etc..

Hope this helps!!

Praveen
Thanks Praveen, I just wanted to confirm that data indeed is a collective noun in GMAT world.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Mylogin » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:38 pm
Request - please use spoiler for answer