Who said 3rd times the charm?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Who said 3rd times the charm?

by gmatsa » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:52 pm
I scored in the 500's 3 times. I can't get into aywhere decent with my score. I make more money than the average starting salary of second tier schools (there average GMAT is Higher too). I feel stuck in this cube for life. There is no way out. Should I really throw good money after bad and try a 4th time for the GMAT? I have a whooping 2.0 undergrad so I have no leg to stand on. Should I just learn to be happy with my 6 figure go nowhere job?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by wallyw » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:48 pm
I can't get into aywhere decent with my score.
Says who? Have you tried? I took it twice and got disappointing scores, albeit in very low 600s. On paper my stats (including average-at-best undergrad GPA at highly regarded US school) didn't exactly position me as the most competitive candidate, no matter what tier of B-school. And yes, on paper I'm making more now than what the reported average post-MBA salary is for many second tier schools, but that's not really the point right? If you want to go to B-school for the right reasons (right reasons for yourself that is), it'll make the application that much easier, and in essence, that much more powerful.

I've been admitted at two upper second tier schools, awaiting a decision from a third, and have yet to be rejected from a top 10 elite school. I'd be happy to go to any of these four programs and four months ago before I started the application process I never imagined I'd be admitted somewhere with my scores.

It's all about your story. I'm not saying you shouldn't consider getting a little assistance on bumping your score up (or maybe that's what your ceiling is for this stupid standardized test - we all have one) but if you're willing to leave your "6 figure go nowhere job" for the right reasons, then why not take a chance? [/quote]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:770

by IJR » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:40 am
You can definitely do better on the 4th try. Read all successful people's testimonials and based on that make a detailed plan. Spend 2-3 hours every day practicing with the best possible materials for 2-3 months and you can do it. The GMAT is doable. You just need to put in the right amount of effort to do it.

by Ashim88 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:53 pm
This might sound obvious, but you need to radically change the way you are studying. What I would recommend, is to study in this completely unique way- and see how those results yield on a PRACTICE Computer Adaptive Test. If you score has not improved beyond 50 points- I wouldn't bother testing a fourth time- and I would just submit those college apps and give it your best shot.

The fact that you are making 6 figures with a 2.0 undergrad GPA seems like you do indeed have a story to tell. And with the right application, you can get into a good school with that combo.

If going to a top tier business school is that important to you, there are a number of things you can do to get there:
1) Create an alternate transcript by taking community college courses and acing each course.
2) Study religiously for the GMAT (perhaps hire a tutor, since it seems you can afford it)
3) Do something extra beyond work. This doesn't necessarily mean that you should start a small side business- but this can be anything that will show you off as a more rounded applicant.
4) Sit in on some classes or visit the campus of some schools you want to attend (that are not too far of a reach)- and mention that in your essays.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:07 am
I very much agree with what has been said. You need to change your approach. Something is not working. In the days of analytics, it is important to understand why you are getting the scores you are. Take a look at the ESPN article on Brandon McCarthy this month in ESPN the magazine....
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

by pinchharmonic » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:34 pm
Ashim88 wrote: 1) Create an alternate transcript by taking community college courses and acing each course.
hi,not to hijack the thread, but...

i had no idea people did this. can you elaborate on this process?

i have an engineering degree from an average school. my overall gpa was 3.38, and my engineering gpa is 3.51.

would I be able to factor these community college courses into my gpa? how does this work with my engineering (major) related gpa?

thanks