A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:
my doubt : while i do understand that A is wrong for many other reason but plz confirm whether the initial comparison in A is oki :While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants
ELLIPSIS is the omission of words whose presence is understood.
Here, it is not crystal clear what words have been omitted.
A reader might make the following interpretation:
While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants [cost]...
The intended comparison is as follows:
While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as [to run] other types of power plants...
Since a reader might be confused, eliminate the answer choice.
Dear Mitch,
As you mentioned about choice C:
"It costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants.
Here, we cannot assume the presence of cost to run in the second clause because this phrase does not appear in the first clause.
In the phrase cost to run, to run serves as a modifier.
But in the first clause, to run serves not as a modifier but as part of the SUBJECT.
In the first clause, it is an expletive standing in for the infinitive subject to run nuclear plants.
First clause: It costs about the same to run nuclear plants.
Conveyed meaning: To run nuclear plants costs about the same.
As you can see, the phrase cost to run is not included in the conveyed meaning.
Thus, we can not assume the presence of this phrase in the second clause."

OA:
While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as [the cost of running] for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.

As I understate, ellipsis is in red part is implied and makes the construction ok. However, does not 'nuclear plants' part of the whole phrase (modifier) 'the cost of running nuclear plants' and hence should be attached in the ellipses part? I mean to be as follows:
While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as [the cost of running nuclear plants] for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.
I know it will give nonsensical meaning I applied the same thinking of choice C in choice B.
Where did I go wrong?
Thanks in advance

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:21 pm

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:
my doubt : while i do understand that A is wrong for many other reason but plz confirm whether the initial comparison in A is oki :While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants
While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants [cost]...
While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as [to run] other types of power plants...
Dear Mitch,
OA:
While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as [the cost of running] for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.

As I understate, ellipsis is in red part is implied and makes the construction ok. However, does not 'nuclear plants' part of the whole phrase (modifier) ' the cost of running nuclear plants' and hence should be attached in the ellipses part? I mean to be as follows:
While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as [the cost of running nuclear plants] for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.
I know it will give nonsensical meaning but I noticed that you said before that the implied should be implied with the whole modifiers.
Where did I go wrong?
Thanks in advance

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

nuclear plants

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:38 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Mo2men wrote:OA:

As I understate, ellipsis is in red part is implied and makes the construction ok. However, does not 'nuclear plants' part of the whole phrase (modifier) 'the cost of running nuclear plants' and hence should be attached in the ellipses part? I mean to be as follows:
I know it will give nonsensical meaning I applied the same thinking of choice C in choice B.
Where did I go wrong?
Thanks in advance
OA: The cost of running nuclear power plants is about the same as for other types of power plants.
Since the blue portion provides its own referent (other types of power plants), the referent in the red portion (nuclear power plants) is not implied in the blue portion.

C: It costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants.
In C, it is standing in for the infinitive phrase in blue, conveying the following meaning:
To run nuclear power plants costs about the same as for other types of power plants.
Here, it is unclear what noun is being modified by the prepositional phrase in red.
Since it must be clear what a modifier is modifying, eliminate C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:24 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote: C: It costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants.
In C, it is standing in for the infinitive phrase in blue, conveying the following meaning:
To run nuclear power plants costs about the same as for other types of power plants.
Here, it is unclear what noun is being modified by the prepositional phrase in red.
Since it must be clear what a modifier is modifying, eliminate C.
Thanks Mitch for you help. But can't choice C interpreted as follows:

To run nuclear power plants costs about the same as to run for other types of power plants DO/COST.

Can we consider: 'TO run' is part of the subject which could be implied in second phrase?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:50 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Mo2men wrote:To run nuclear power plants costs about the same as to run for other types of power plants DO/COST.

Can we consider: 'TO run' is part of the subject which could be implied in second phrase?

Thanks
to run for X implies that X is a GOAL.
Mary plans to run for president.
Conveyed meaning:
The office of president = Mary's goal.

Thus, to run for other types of power plants implies that OTHER TYPES OF POWER PLANTS constitute a goal.
Not the intended meaning.
No one is attempting to reach other types of power plants.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:07 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
Mo2men wrote:To run nuclear power plants costs about the same as to run for other types of power plants DO/COST.

Thanks
Conveyed meaning:

Thus, to run for other types of power plants implies that OTHER TYPES OF POWER PLANTS constitute a goal.
OA: The cost of running nuclear power plants is about the same as the cost of running for other types of power plants.

Does implied part here correct or intend to be a goal too? I think it modifies the word ' the cost'?

Thanks in advance

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:18 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Mo2men wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Thanks
Conveyed meaning:

OA: The cost of running nuclear power plants is about the same as the cost of running for other types of power plants.

Does implied part here correct or intend to be a goal too? I think it modifies the word ' the cost'?

Thanks in advance
The OA implies the following:
The cost of running nuclear power plants is about the same as [the cost] for other types of power plants.
The prepositions phrase in blue serves the same function as the prepositional phrase in red: both serve to modify the cost.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

While it costs about the same

by Mo2men » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:35 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
The OA implies the following:
The cost of running nuclear power plants is about the same as [the cost] for other types of power plants.
The prepositions phrase in blue serves the same function as the prepositional phrase in red: both serve to modify the cost.
Dear Mitch,
As I know, 'as' should be followed by a clause but in the second clause above, there is no verb. Is it omitted or implied too?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:01 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Mo2men wrote:Dear Mitch,
As I know, 'as' should be followed by a clause but in the second clause above, there is no verb. Is it omitted or implied too?

Thanks
Correct!
OA: The cost of running nuclear power plants is about the same as [is the cost] for other types of power plants.
The blue verb in brackets is omitted but implied.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rohitchayal » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:24 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:
Is B the correct option?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:8 members

by [email protected] » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:45 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hello Everyone!

GMAT questions that have the entire sentence underlined can be tricky, so let's dive in! First, we can take a closer look at the options and highlight any major differences we find in orange:

While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.

(A) While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.
(B) While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.
(C) Even though it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes the electricity they generate more expensive.
(D) It costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, whereas the electricity they generate is more expensive, stemming from the fixed costs of building nuclear plants.
(E) The cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as other types of power plants, but the electricity they generate is made more expensive because of the fixed costs stemming from building nuclear plants.

While there are a lot of differences between these options, a few key ones jump out that we can focus on to start:

1. while / even though / whereas / but (conjunctions to show contrast)
2. as / as for (idiom structure/parallelism)
3. it is the fixed costs / the fixed costs / the electricity they generate (parallelism)

Whenever we see parallelism on our list, it's a good idea to start there. So let's focus on #3 on our list to start with. This sentence has two clauses:

Clause #1: Running nuclear power plants and other plants costs the same.
Clause #2: The cost of building nuclear power plants is higher, which is why they're more expensive than other.

Parallel structure will allow these two clauses to "flow" better because they will sound similar to the ear - and both English speakers and the GMAT love the easy flow of parallelism! So let's take a closer look at how both clauses are structured, and eliminate any that are confusing or not parallel:

(A) While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.

This is INCORRECT for a couple reasons. First, the two clauses aren't written using parallel structure. One clause starts with "it costs," but later uses "it is the fixed costs," which sounds overly complicated. We also have issues the pronouns "it" being vague and unnecessary - just say "the costs" instead of "it is the costs," which both mean the same thing. Also, there is a subject-verb disagreement problem with the plural subject "costs" and singular verb "makes."

(B) While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.

This is CORRECT! Starting both clauses with "the cost" and "the fixed costs" is a great example of using parallelism to simplify and clarify a long-winded sentence!

(C) Even though it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes the electricity they generate more expensive.

Just like option A, this one is INCORRECT because it adds in the pronoun "it" for no reason, and there is also the subject-verb agreement problem with "costs" and "makes."

(D) It costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, whereas the electricity they generate is more expensive, stemming from the fixed costs of building nuclear plants.

This is INCORRECT because it doesn't use parallel structure. This sentence almost makes it sound like the writer is contrasting the cost of running a nuclear power plant to the electricity it generates, which are not parallel things. The wording of this sentence is just plain confusing, so let's rule it out.

(E) The cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as other types of power plants, but the electricity they generate is made more expensive because of the fixed costs stemming from building nuclear plants.

This is also INCORRECT because it seems to be contrasting the costs with the electricity, which are not parallel items. I also don't like the phrase "is made more expensive" because it's overly wordy - just say "is more expensive" instead.

There you have it - option B is the correct choice! If you start with looking at parallel structure, it's easy to start eliminating options rather quickly. We were lucky this time that only one option used parallel structure successfully. In other questions, it will at least help you eliminate several options, making it easier to tackle what's left over!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:01 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
patrick0885 wrote:In answer choice A and C, they are saying that "it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive..." and "it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes the electricity..." respectively.

Can someone please explain to me that how do we know the second "that" in the 2 sentences are referring to "fixed costs" but not the noun immediately preceding them? Is it just solely based on logical meaning?
In A and C, that makes (that + SINGULAR verb) must serve to refer to a preceding SINGULAR noun.
Since costs and plants are both PLURAL, that makes cannot serve to refer to either of these two nouns.
In A and C, that makes lacks a clear singular referent -- a valid reason to eliminate A and C.
Dear Mitch,

In Choice A & C, if we change 'makes' to 'make' to be as follows:

it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that make it more expensive for them to generate electricity.

1-From English point of view and regardless its wordiness, is this construction correct?

2- Is this kind on 'empty it'? What about first 'it' and second 'it' I feel it is punch of 2 types of 'empty it' in one sentence. As far as I know, the 'empty it can be like
It + description + that/whether + complete sentence (independent clause)
It + description + to + verb (infinitive)
Noun + make + it + description + to infinitive (Example :The rain made it quite challenging for people to drive on the freeway. )

Can you elaborate please. Thanks in advance

GMAT Instructor

nuclear plants

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:32 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Mo2men wrote:The rain made it quite challenging for people to drive on the freeway
Here, the phrase in blue implies that people were trying to drive on the freeway but that the process was made challenging by the rain.
This meaning is logical.
In Choice A & C, if we change 'makes' to 'make' to be as follows:

it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that make it more expensive for them to generate electricity.

1-From English point of view and regardless its wordiness, is this construction correct?
Here, the phrase in red implies that nuclear plants are trying to generate electricity but that the process is made more expensive by fixed costs.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Nuclear plants cannot TRY to perform an action.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vietnam47 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:42 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

aditya8062 wrote:While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.

A. While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.
B While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.
C. Even though it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes the electricity they generate more expensive.
D. It costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, whereas the electricity they generate is more expensive, stemming from the fixed costs of building nuclear plants.
E. The cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as other types of power plants, but the electricity they generate is made more expensive because of the fixed costs stemming from building nuclear plants.

I present 2 rules for comparison ellipsis
rule 1: ellipsis in second clause can not offer 2 interpretations. choice E offers 2 interpretation
" as the cost of running other types of power plants" . this meaning is good
"as other types of power plants is ". this meaning is wrong
E is wrong
rule 2. the implied words in the second clause must come from 1, not 2 phrases in the first clause because if they come from 2 phrases in the first clause, the phrase of the implied words in fact dose not exist in the first clause. or they make a phrase which dose not exist in the first clause. TRICKY, see example below.
in choice A, if you think the implied words is " it costs to run" , in fact this come from "it costs" and "to run", which are 2 phrases in the first clause. this is not good because, in other words, "it cost to run" dose not exist in the first clause.
rule 3. this is known already. the implied words must fit to the second clause logically.

According to public health officials, in 1998 Massachusetts became the first state in which more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than under it.

A. than
B. than born
C. than they were
D. than there had been
E. than had been born

choice B is similar to choice A in our original problem. in choice b, we can not assume that "babies were... to women ' are implied words because they come from two phrases " babies were" and " to women". in fact, this situation make "born under it" , a phrase dose not exist in the fist clause.

make it simple to work well in the test room. if we see ellipsis comparison, the cut off words must be 1 phrase not 2 phrases which appear in the first clause.

choice b in our original problem " it costs....." has implied cut off words which is one phrase "cost of running" in the first clause. in doing so, choice b offer only one interpretation, not two. so , B is good.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vietnam47 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:46 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats