Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

iongmat wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: First clause: It costs about the same to run nuclear plants.
Conveyed meaning: To run nuclear plants costs about the same.
Hello Mitch, even if this is the conveyed, meaning the sentence would be:

To run nuclear plants costs about the same as (to run) other types of power plants (costs).

This seems ok to me. So, why is it incorrect?
The subject of the first clause is not just to run but the ENTIRE infinitive phrase to run nuclear plants.
Thus, if the second clause omits its subject, the implied subject must be the entire infinitive phrase to run nuclear plants; it cannot simply be to run.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by patrick0885 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:09 am

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

In answer choice A and C, they are saying that "it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive..." and "it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes the electricity..." respectively.

Can someone please explain to me that how do we know the second "that" in the 2 sentences are referring to "fixed costs" but not the noun immediately preceding them? Is it just solely based on logical meaning?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:28 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

patrick0885 wrote:In answer choice A and C, they are saying that "it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive..." and "it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes the electricity..." respectively.

Can someone please explain to me that how do we know the second "that" in the 2 sentences are referring to "fixed costs" but not the noun immediately preceding them? Is it just solely based on logical meaning?
In A and C, that makes (that + SINGULAR verb) must serve to refer to a preceding SINGULAR noun.
Since costs and plants are both PLURAL, that makes cannot serve to refer to either of these two nouns.
In A and C, that makes lacks a clear singular referent -- a valid reason to eliminate A and C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:750

by Nina1987 » Mon May 09, 2016 8:05 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

I am still not sure how choice B uses correct parallelism/comparison. It compares: cost of something with cost for something. If we were to write the complete sentence with omitting any words, we would write "While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as the cost of running other types of power plants,..." and not write "While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as the cost for running other types of power plants,..."

Does that make sense? Can experts help pls?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by [email protected] » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:11 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.

A. While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity. - Incorrect comparison between to run and power plants. SV disagreement. Makes is singular and costs is plural.

B While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive. - Correct

C. Even though it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes the electricity they generate more expensive. - Since for setting a proper comparison we need for running but we do not have running in the sentence therefore the comparison can't be set up properly. SV disagreement. Sing makes with plural costs. They can have 2 antecedents nuclear plants and power plants.

D. It costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, whereas the electricity they generate is more expensive, stemming from the fixed costs of building nuclear plants. - Same comparison error as in C. They has no clear antecedent. Comma + verbing stemming modifies the electricity this is illogical.

E. The cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as other types of power plants, but the electricity they generate is made more expensive because of the fixed costs stemming from building nuclear plants. - We need a prepositional clause to set up the right comparison. As + noun is incorrect. They has unclear antecedent.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by TheGraduate » Sat May 13, 2017 2:40 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

A. While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.

What does "them" refer to?
Can A be eliminated on the basis of the fact that "them" has no referent or is ambiguous?

Please clarify.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun May 14, 2017 3:03 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

TheGraduate wrote:A. While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.

What does "them" refer to?
Can A be eliminated on the basis of the fact that "them" has no referent or is ambiguous?

Please clarify.
An answer choice may be eliminated for pronoun ambiguity only if an alternate answer choice avoids the ambiguity and is free of errors.
A: It is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.
OA: The fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.
In both A and the OA, a form of they is intended to refer to nuclear plants.
In each case, it could be argued that the referent is not crystal clear.
Thus, we should seek a better reason to eliminate A.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:00 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:
my doubt : while i do understand that A is wrong for many other reason but plz confirm whether the initial comparison in A is oki :While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants
ELLIPSIS is the omission of words whose presence is understood.
Here, it is not crystal clear what words have been omitted.
A reader might make the following interpretation:
While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants [cost]...
The intended comparison is as follows:
While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as [to run] other types of power plants...
Since a reader might be confused, eliminate the answer choice.
Dear Mitch,

The OA,:
While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as [the cost of running] for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.

As I understate, ellipsis is in red part is implied and makes the construction ok. However, does not 'nuclear plants' part of the the whole phrase 'the cost of running nuclear plants' and hence should be attached in the ellipses part? I know it will give nonsensical meaning but I try to understand in ellipses which part to take and which to leave .

thanks in advance

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:01 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:
my doubt : while i do understand that A is wrong for many other reason but plz confirm whether the initial comparison in A is oki :While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants
While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants [cost]...
While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as [to run] other types of power plants...
Dear Mitch,

The OA,:
While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as [the cost of running] for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.

As I understate, ellipsis is in red part is implied and makes the construction ok. However, does not 'nuclear plants' part of the the whole phrase 'the cost of running nuclear plants' and hence should be attached in the ellipses part? I know it will give nonsensical meaning but I try to understand in ellipses which part to take and which to leave .

thanks in advance

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:01 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:
Dear Mitch,

The OA,:

thanks in advance

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:26 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:
Dear Mitch,
The OA,:

thanks in advance

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:27 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:
Dear Mitch,
The OA,:

thanks in advance

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:02 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:
Dear Mitch,
As you mentioned about choice C:
"It costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants.
Here, we cannot assume the presence of cost to run in the second clause because this phrase does not appear in the first clause.
In the phrase cost to run, to run serves as a modifier.
But in the first clause, to run serves not as a modifier but as part of the SUBJECT.
In the first clause, it is an expletive standing in for the infinitive subject to run nuclear plants.
First clause: It costs about the same to run nuclear plants.
As you can see, the phrase cost to run is not included in the conveyed meaning.
Thus, we can not assume the presence of this phrase in the second clause."

OA:

As I understate, ellipsis is in red part is implied and makes the construction ok. However, does not 'nuclear plants' part of the whole phrase (modifier) 'the cost of running nuclear plants' and hence should be attached in the ellipses part? I mean to be as follows:
While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as [the cost of running nuclear plants] for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.
I know it will give nonsensical meaning I applied the same thinking of choice C in choice B.
Where did I go wrong?
Thanks in advance

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:35 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:
Dear Mitch,
Here, we cannot assume the presence of cost to run in the second clause because this phrase does not appear in the first clause.
But in the first clause, to run serves not as a modifier but as part of the SUBJECT.
In the first clause, it is an expletive standing in for the infinitive subject to run nuclear plants.

OA:

As I understate, ellipsis is in red part is implied and makes the construction ok. However, does not 'nuclear plants' part of the whole phrase (modifier) 'the cost of running nuclear plants' and hence should be attached in the ellipses part? I mean to be as follows:
While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as [the cost of running nuclear plants] for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.
I know it will give nonsensical meaning I applied the same thinking of choice C in choice B.
Where did I go wrong?
Thanks in advance

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:09 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:
Dear Mitch,

OA:

Where did I go wrong?
Thanks in advance