While I'm at it

by bladeski » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:57 am
If I could also get some clarification on the following:

When the word "being" is correct

"Such as" compared to "like"

The difference of "by" and "because"

When "this" or "these" is appropriate

When to use them correctly

Pronouns are absolutely kicking my butt, so any advice or tips would be great. I have MGMAT SC, so clean and simple pointers would be more appreciated than a dissertation on every rule.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:15 am
bladeski wrote:If I could also get some clarification on the following:

When the word "being" is correct

"Such as" compared to "like"

The difference of "by" and "because"

When "this" or "these" is appropriate

When to use them correctly

Pronouns are absolutely kicking my butt, so any advice or tips would be great. I have MGMAT SC, so clean and simple pointers would be more appreciated than a dissertation on every rule.
being is almost never correct. Most on here will tell you to automatically cross off that answer choice whenever you see "being".

such as introduces an example. If you can substitute "for example" or "for instance" you probably need to use such as.

like means similar to. when you see like, substitute similar to, and if it sounds right, it probably is

This or These cannot stand alone. They have to be followed by the nouns they are modifying. For example, you would see something like, "this vase" or "these children", but never just "this" or "these" without a noun following it.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bladeski » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:40 pm
exactly what I was looking for... thanks on both replies. I know the being rule, yet ran into one that was correct last night... it started with being, got taken aback because I know the no being rule and instantly removed it.