"WHICH" usage !!

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:28 am
Thanks. But it seems that the same is not followed in the case of "including"
Ah - the word "including" is an exception. "Including" is typically used to give examples of some previously-identified category, and that category will typically be in the form of a noun.

I have ten cats, including a siamese and a tabby.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by mmslf75 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:08 pm
mmslf75 wrote:here does WHIHC refer HEARINGS ??

Although she had been known as an effective legislator first in the Texas Senate and later
in the United States House of Representatives, not until Barbara Jordan's participation in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon in 1974 was she made a nationally recognized figure, as it was televised nationwide.

A. later in the United States House of Representatives, not until Barbara Jordan's
participation in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon in
1974 was she made a nationally recognized figure, as it was
B. later in the United States House of Representatives, Barbara Jordan did not
become a nationally recognized figure until 1974, when she participated in the
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which were
C. later in the Untied States House of Representatives, it was not until 1974 that
Barbara Jordan became a nationally recognized figure, with her participation in
the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was
D. then also later in the United States House of Representatives, not until 1974 did
Barbara Jordan become a nationally recognized figure, as she participated in the
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, being
E. then also later in the United States House of Representatives, Barbara Jordan did
not become a nationally recognized figure until 1974, when she participated in the
hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which was

OA is B

here which refers to HEARINGS ??
Got the answer for this one...
B is correct as no way WHICH "were" can refer to NIXON it has to refer to HEARINGS

Classic example i must say, for those having issues with WHICH refre to NOUN or former part of NOUN!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:51 am
mmslf75 wrote:here does WHIHC refer HEARINGS ??
yes.

remember that "which" can refer to "X + preposition + Y", if it is grammatically impossible for Y (the closest noun) to serve as the antecedent.

in this case, "Nixon" is not eligible, for TWO different reasons: (a) Nixon is a person (you can't use the pronoun "which" for humans), and (b) "were" is a plural verb (Nixon is singular).

therefore, the antecedent defaults to "hearings + preposition + Nixon", which is a perfect grammatical match for "which were".

see:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/correct-use- ... tml#197164
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:08 am
Stacey Koprince wrote: "which" cannot modify the preceding clause - only the preceding main noun. That's why, in this one, the correct answer switches the form to ", leading" - because "comma -ing" can actually modify the preceding clause.
stacey
then how come in this q which is modifying the effects........abuse ;the sub of previous clause
https://www.beatthegmat.com/crack-and-co ... 55762.html

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by akhpad » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:26 am
thephoenix wrote:
Stacey Koprince wrote: "which" cannot modify the preceding clause - only the preceding main noun. That's why, in this one, the correct answer switches the form to ", leading" - because "comma -ing" can actually modify the preceding clause.
stacey
then how come in this q which is modifying the effects........abuse ;the sub of previous clause
You are confusing again.

Please go through all the post which is mentioned in that post. It was well explained about which.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:32 am
akhp77 wrote:
thephoenix wrote:
stacey
You are confusing again.

Please go through all the post which is mentioned in that post. It was well explained about which.
pls check the soln of og it says clearly that which modifies the phrase The effects.....abuse
thats y i am getting confused

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:17 pm
This can definitely get confusing. "Phrase" and "clause" are two different grammar terms - they do not mean the same thing.

A "clause" is a series of words that include a *conjugated* verb. I went to the store. I studied French.

A "phrase" does not include a conjugated verb.

In the example to which you linked, it says:

"the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already"

"the effects of drug and alcohol abuse" is a phrase, not a clause. In that phrase, the main noun is "effects." In the correct answer, the "which" modifier properly refers to the main noun of the preceding phrase: effects.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me